1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Petrol engine cuts in more than I expected

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by adrianz, Jan 25, 2006.

1. adrianz

adrianz New Member

I have a new UK Prius since 3rd January, so I realise its still bedding in. However I am surprised how often the engine cuts in and wondered if this would possibly reduce over time? Particulraly when first starting the car in morning with the temp. at between 0 - 7 C roughly, the engine starts straight away. In some cases some accessory was on e.g. the screen fan in others not. Naively expected the engine to cut in as load / speed increased along the road.

Appreciate any thoughts as a newbie to the Prius world. Many thanks, Adrian

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Congrats!

Here's a link to The Five Stages of Prius Hybrid Operation. That should explain what you're experiencing. The engine runs to bring it up to temperature and in the winter it's used to help heat the cabin, so you'll notice it runs more often.

3. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

If you have the heater/defroster set to max heat then I think the ICE will be running (nearly?) full time. If it is parked outside overnight then despite the coolant thermos, it may still need to heat the ICE for low emissions (via coolant and cat heating).

4. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It will get better over time, but then unforunatley worse... the reson is called spring, summer, autumn, winter! :) Oh and the link above is good.

5. lwillis

lwillis New Member

I've had mine for only a few days now, but found that when the Climate control is set to "auto", that the Air conditioner is also set to "auto". This is required some times when you need to defrost the windshield to by loweing the amount of water vapor in the air. HOWEVER, I have found that I'm getting better mileage by leaving the climate "auto" selected, but turning off the "AC Auto". I may need it if the temps outside get colder but I'm leaving it this way for now. Approaching 40 mpg on my first tank.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey Adrian. Welcome to Priuscaht!

Looks like your seeing single-digit temps like I am. I Hope that you've read the link above. Also keep in mind that the engine will operate to maintain a proper operational temperature. So if the engine is cold it will run just to warm itself up. I'm not saying that's the key problem, just one piece of the Prius puzzle. Like they said above, how you use the A/C plays a factor. Of course, once it gets warmer, the engine will retain its heat better and you will rely on the A/C less. Those factors, coupled with you learning to drive the car and the car bedding in will combine to produce some very impressive mileage results this summer.

BTW, that wasn't a dig about learning to drive the car; there really is a learning curve.

So in the end, just drive it, don't worry too much about it right now and simply enjoy it.

Pip pip, cheerio, and good day. :lol:

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you run the front windscreen defrost the ICE will stay on.

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It had to be on for quite a while this morning. Extra-heavy condensation on the inside, windshield and hatch. MPGS down to 43.4. Hadn't seen it that bad in this car before. Wondered if a window was left cracked or something. Have to remember my mom likes her fresh air, I guess...