1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Phantom code in 2002. Error shows up on small screen, not on dash. No OBD codes.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by elendilmir, Aug 22, 2022.

1. elendilmir

elendilmir Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    2002/188K miles
    Carista OBD reader on Carista app

I am getting a weird phenemonon. I get an error on the small screen (the "car with !" error), but no small yellow "engine light" error on the dash. When I read the codes with my Carista and my old-school generic readers, I get no codes at all. What's going on?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try a different app like Dr. Prius app or Car Scanner app.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Carista site doesn't list show coverage for the Gen2 prius, forget about the Gen1. Any generic OBD2 scanner will only connect to the ECM- so no check engine light means nothing there to see. So you have a fault somewhere but neither of your tools is capable of talking to the ecu's that are involved.

Dr Prius might/ should have some coverage for the hybrid systems (maybe?). AFAIK, the Gen1 doesn't have CAN network, so Car Scanner won't do anything.

If you check my app review thread (stickied) at the top of the Technical Discussion forum, you could look at some of the OBD2 devices and apps.

Autel, Thinkcar (Mucar), or Anyscan- all have full system codes and data coverage on a Gen2. You could look those up and contact one of those companies (or sellers) and ask what systems they cover on your Gen1.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd say Carista is more of "car scammer" than a "car scanner", would you like to see detailed obd2 codes? just pay $52 for 1 year subscription, you want to customize your car? just pay another $52 for 1 year subscription.. I think Autel and other companies are starting to follow suite but Carista has been in this business early on, same with iCarly.. generic obd2 and Carista are just not the tools you want to diagnose cars.

Another likes this.
  5. elendilmir

elendilmir Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I did try Dr Prius, still no stored codes.

6. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A fault code that shows up on the LCD display but doesn't turn on the "Check Engine Light" is one of the Prius-unique codes.
    Make friends with someone who has a Toyota TechStream fault code reader if you want to figure it out for yourself,
    or Toyota will read the fault codes for you for merely $90-110.