1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PHEV conversio using CAN-View and BMS+

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jawshoeaw, Jul 12, 2009.

1. jawshoeaw

jawshoeaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone, I decided to start a thread on my conversion using Norm's CAN-View and BMS+

I'm taking it slow so everyone be patient (don't you love that I already assume an audience waiting on my every post?)

Special thanks in advance to aminorjourney in the UK, of course to Norm in Canada, to "The Pilot" in Corvallis, Oregon.

Basic setup is this:
    2008 Prius II Package 6 bought salvaged from minor front collision.
    Two extra NiMH traction batteries both from 2008 Prius (I got lucky with that)
    BMS+
    Simple Voltage doubler charger (converts 170V AC Peak mains current to 340V) which under load drops to ~240V.
    (Formula for calculating the 'sag' in voltage under load from wikipedia - drop in voltage is I/6fc*(4n^3+3n^2-n)where I is current, f is freq. c is capacitance, n is number of repeats in voltage doubler circuit)
    Temperature and other protection in the charger

Experiments: Experiment 15
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_doubler"]Voltage doubler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you lucky b*sterd:mad:
    2 2008 packs:D:eek::eek: and a 2008 prius:cheer2: so a total of 3 2008 packs...NICE:

lucky lucky:):cool:

ok back to normal mode haha

your talking about a voltage doubler.. but what about the rectifier..
    or is that part of the voltage doubler
    edit~A voltage doubler is an electric circuit with an AC input and a DC output of roughly twice the peak input voltage.~

one of my MFD picture´s using the same setup canview V4plus and BMSplus and 3 packs total.
    thats 2352,14 US Miles per gallon .

///
    Metrisch
    Liters per km 10-3
    Liters per 10 km 0,01
    Liters per 100 km 0,1 :eek:
    Kilometer per liter 1000

US
    Miles per gallon 2352,14:eek:
    Gallons per 100 miles 0,04

Groot Brittannië
    Miles per gallon 2824,81 :eek:
    Gallons per 100 miles 0,04

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The voltage doubler is fine. In fact, I used it in the charger I designed. But generating voltage is not the only issue, it is controlling the current. I used a PWM FET to control the current limiting it to 6 Amps. (That would be 12 amps from the mains). Also, this thread should be moved to the Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications
    Forum.

2 people like this.
  4. jawshoeaw

jawshoeaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do I move a thread? I tried editing but didn't see anything.

The capacitor based doubler limits your current (in my limited understanding :)) because the capacitors can only store up so much charge and then dump it in the little slice of time they have to work (1/60 second in US) The voltage is actually only doubled for open circuit, which makes sense - the caps are fully charged and are just sitting there getting warm waiting for you. Note that they didn't get to double in one period of the AC sine wave, maybe it took a couple cycles, I'll let you do the math. But as soon as you apply load such as prius battery, current races out of the capacitors and voltage drops. In the extreme, you could short circuit the doubler, in which case the capacitors would cease to contribute anything, being drained. In that case, the voltage is original mains, but rectified to I guess 120V. Or is it 170V? Damn. Anyway, it's a good way to look at it I think, your actual voltage is somewhere between full double and mains when under load. A little math and experimentation gives you a capacitance of 300-400 microFarads for up to 240V DC and ~4A. If you want your average current to go up, use bigger caps.

Now, the downside to this, which I think Vertex sees, is that although the average current is around 4 amps in my example, the pattern of current is giant spikes of current as the capacitors drain which quickly die off as voltage drops to current battery voltage.

I did a simulation in LT Spice and it showed spikes of current up to 45Amps in both positive and negative directions. These spikes last milliseconds, and I think they are what actually charges the battery, although I'm out on a dry, rotten limb at this point, having little theory to back me up. My thinking is this: The capacitors are what actually charges the battery. They are leapfrogging off mains in a sense.

Braking down hill of course pumps 100A at 300V into the battery, so no big deal I guess. I hope :D

1 person likes this.
  5. jawshoeaw

jawshoeaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Ha! It was lucky. I found them on ebay and the second one I got delivered for free since it was local! How lucky is that!!?? (Thanks to Alex for delivery)

We'll see how lucky I am after ramming home made electrons into them for a few months.:eek:

1 person likes this.
  6. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    free deliveredy or free pack.?. no charge for the pack itself?

lucky B**sterd:mad::mad::mad::mad:

j/k :D:p:rockon: NICE...........

1 person likes this.
  7. jawshoeaw

jawshoeaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that lucky

Not that lucky!
    Just free delivery

1 person likes this.
  8. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok pfffff

then i am not that mad anymore ( read jalous ):D

1 person likes this.
  9. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    What ever happened to this CanView conversion?

10. jawshoeaw

jawshoeaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See reply in other thread. I'm still chugging along with 6 bats or 24AH of electricity. My power bill has gone up!

11. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    and I posted a question and explanation in the other thread also.