1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PHEV Conversion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mrbigh, Sep 16, 2007.

1. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    My 2004 Prius was successfully converted to PHEV with PbA (lead acid) batteries by December 2006 and presented in our regular Long Island group meeting on Dec 16 2006.

As a first not commercially equip packaged conversion is the first Toyota Prius converted to Plug-In in the northeastern part of the USA known and running daily as a commuter car.

I had the support of Manufacturers as Sponsors donating their merchandise to help make this project a working piece, and with great gratitude I would like to mention that :Panasonic Industrial donate 20 x 28AH batteries, Carol cables all the interconnects wires, Xantrex their digital battery gauges including their new version of the E-meter, DeeZee industries donated an aluminum truck toolbox enclosure as batteries ins ulated container, Anderson Controls all their famous interconnects matching connectors,Helmar Electrical parts with all contactors used and Jayso Electronic's from Bronx, NY all the related electronic parts supporting this great work.

Couldn't be possible with out the hardware of Manzanita Micro and finally the outstanding support of Norm D. from Hybridinterfaces with CAN-View micro-controller to CAN bus.

By the last 10 months of driving and testing this prototype and research vehicle converted to PHEV in a daily basis I can comment with great satisfaction that is fulfilling my expectations of a basic drawing concept on a paper napkin to the final conception, including of the last underrated fuse.

Through the past 10 month I refined the PHEV conversion, I kept charts of every kind and tweaked to the point of maximum efficiency rendering the most of what I hand built.

The final test was the trip made from Long Island, New York to Madison, Wisconsin to attend Hybridfest 2007, almost 2000 miles (actually 2036) round Trip where I had an extra weight of 720 Lbs to Madison and returning with 860 lbs plus a passenger (my wife as a co-pilot). My converted Prius was driven by max permitted speed almost all the time, and A/C on when necessary, and consumed 23 gl total, rendering an averaged 88Mpg of EV assisted driving. At Hybridfest 2007 I was awarder with the BEST CAR IN SHOW , including best PHEV conversion, appearance and performance.

I stoped 15 times along the way to refuel, yes to refull..... electricity to keep my EV pack at full power, that was my ever best EV assist, 88Mpg in 2000 miles, not the CAL Cars claimed 100 Mpg for 5 miles, actually this type of conversions can be made better with longer range results.

With an economical mind set, average cost is $5200.00 for a "you get dirty" on my type of electrical conversion with products out of the distributors shelf and NOT a pre-manufactured KIT from others.

Well, now is a time for a change, I will improve my conversion for even better............

I'm changing the batteries powering the PHEV from Lead Acid (PbA) to NiMH........what will I gain?, from an existing weight of 485Lbs maybe a half of it with NiMH batteries, my rear seat bench back and probably 2 to 3 time more power range.

I'm working with 3 original Prii Hybrid Battery packs, 2 of these kindly donated, combining these to 2 extra identical power sources, all connections merge to and are handled by a central interlock control box.

Batteries array will take location on the spare wheel well and storage compartment area as other's concept are. ......and for the ones asking for the "spare".....I do not care, for $2.00 I have a fix-a-flat can, call Toyota road side assistance or I will pay for a Tow trux if necessary.
    This upgrade has to coexist with my original design and fully working equipment without disturbing and disabling anything, so I have to be extreme careful.
    Being that this will be a work in progress I will be adding pictures as things go along, but for now I'm posting some ...........

Few questions are allowed, so by kind......

[​IMG]

Interlock and control box in assembly progress</span>

[attachmentid=11808]
    CAN-View<span style="color:#cc0000"> 4+
    in Dash installation.

[attachmentid=11809]
    I'm so happy for the final finish and the great information in front of my eyes. Perfect for me.

Attached Files:

2. MPG > HP

MPG > HP Junior Member

Congratulations on the amazing innovation! Any chance of your jumping past NiMH and going straight to LiPo? Seems like the 12-18 months or so of additional planning that it may take would be well worth avoiding having to do it right after the NiMH conversion. Is safety of the currently available A123s that much of a concern or is their cost compared to NiMHs the issue? I ask, because I could be a customer of yours for the DIY, but only with a LiPo chemistry (which ever one of those "wins").

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

VERY COOL!!! That dash is fantastic too.

4. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    question: ever gotten pulled over in that? I can only imagine the cops face when he sees all your gadgets lol

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That new array? Looks kinda big. Will that completely replace the back seats as well, or just fill up the cargo area.

And what about weight? Seems that's going to add a lot of weight. Are you going to have to modify the suspension in the rear to compensate for all of that weight?

6. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since he's replacing the existing lead-acid array he should be just fine on weight. Can't wait to see how this works out!

And I love the CV display...absolutely the best installation of an extra screen that I've seen.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Horacio,
    There was and is clearly no doubt why you were awarded "Best in Show" at Hybridfest. Your Pius is truly impressive.

Best of luck, thanks for the awesome write-up, and keep us posted.
    Or, if you want, post a lot of pictures on the LIPOG site and provide links; that way you won't have to post the same pictures twice.

8. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 16 2007, 06:17 PM) [snapback]513403[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Tony, I'll do my best to keep all of you up to date in the progress.

9. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MPG > HP @ Sep 16 2007, 02:51 AM) [snapback]513236[/snapback]</div>

At this point and in my case is merely economics, used good quality Toyo OEM NiMH from dismantled vehicles runs average $650.00 a piece, x3 about $2,000.00.

For very cheap Chinese Lion about $8,700.00 and A123 I imagine $12,000.00.In top of this to prices we have to add a quality Battery Management System for around $5,000.00 and even more $$, make your numbers and compare.

The electrical interface in between any chemistry is basically the same.

Thank you for asking.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow- you earned that name "mr big h!" :lol:

you might consider upgrading to the touring struts in the rear. they're much bigger, physically, than the standard prius struts. DH isn't sure of the damping rate on them but they will probably control that bounce a little better in the back. you may also think about stiffer springs.

and adjust your headlights a bit. ;)

good luck!!

(ps. wanna, cough, get rid of that old setup? cough cough :lol:)

11. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Horacio, skip the OEM packs, just go to Nilar NiMH, you know you want to.

Wayne

12. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 16 2007, 08:34 PM) [snapback]513438[/snapback]</div>

Galaxy and DH, after the new conversion is completed, meaning working as it should and do not keep blowing fuses, I plan to auction the left over ADD on pack as is, and all the winning procedures will be donated to Schneider Children Hospital in Long Island, NY.

Is a long story behind from long time ago regarding this institution, that's the reason why I choose it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Sep 16 2007, 08:53 PM) [snapback]513446[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I want them!!!, but we can not afford a 5th mortgage.

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Sep 16 2007, 09:47 PM) [snapback]513471[/snapback]</div>
    that's a truly wonderful thing of you to do :)

14. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 16 2007, 09:53 PM) [snapback]513474[/snapback]</div>
    Now I would like to know the right way on doing this, but I think I would open a new thread for my inquire.

> >> >> >> >> It can be fallow here

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I toast you tonight in awe....salude sir!
    This may be reason enough to get me to attend Hybridfest next year if you're going to be there with that set up. Well done...please keep this thread updated with progress reports all the way through build, testing, and full performance and problem issues. I think we (and Toyota) will be quite interested in your results.

Will you be able to monitor each OEM pack temp/voltage, etc individually? Through CAN-View or your own monitoring tools if so? Are your NiMH packs new, heavily or lightly used? Have you had them tested...it would seem really important that you had all individual cells checked and assure there are none outside of normal range.

Again, please keep this thread updated.

16. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SureValla @ Sep 16 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]513303[/snapback]</div>
    I LOVE your avatar, isn't a great team?

Never, I obey traffic laws, I'm not to noisy with my sound system while driving and besides, I drive everywhere with my stealth button on, so nobody can see me. Does the trick...

17. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Sep 17 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]513750[/snapback]</div>
    Wait a minute!!

No one can SEE you?

Did I get the wrong button? :eek: :lol: :lol:

18. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 16 2007, 10:36 PM) [snapback]513487[/snapback]</div>

The batteries I'm using, as stated before, are used. All of these from auto wreckers.

Two are 2005 and the other 2004. I had this last one since 18 months in storage and was used for teaching and research purposes. Never intentionally used as a traction pack but recharged in the Prius several times and also trickle charged once in a while.

The real used life on these really is unknown, but for commentaries of the "sources", 15 to 25 K miles average.

I just ordered a NiMH charger/discharger with capabilities of USB computer interface, that will aloud me to keep precise track of all charge/discharge cycles on all 80 cells prior to heavy use. I'm planing to do this 5 times on each for full balancing.

I'm concentrating right now in the manufacturing and wiring of the Interlock/distribution box, and mostly of the time waiting for the arrival of a new product/component to be included, permitting me to continue the project in my spare time.

Regarding a Battery Management System, there are very few options for this type of NiMH, all of these are very expensive for my budget, 10K and above. Trying to reverse engineering the OEM Batt ECU it is a crazy thing to do, nor that I will infringe any copy rights whatsoever.

I decided to develop and build my own from scratch.

Monitoring and tracking of V, Temp, I and available accumulated charge will be process and displayed on a monitor, I have available a carputer all the time on my Prius, so an app for windows is necessary but not impossible, or probably to write code to be included and interpreted by CANview; options are open.

This BMS "job" will take a while and I'm not in a hurry...

Mechanical fitting of the batteries array is perfect and once the cargo lid is close, does look like a "regular" Prius.

This past weekend our LIPOG group have a meeting and I showed with part of the batteries installed in the car because earlier in the day I was working on it and everybody had a chance to take a peek at the future of "DUAL PWR-PHEV".

More to come in the near future. ;)

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  20. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I participated in EcoFest 2007 at Damrosch Park, adjacent to the Lincoln Center in Manhattan, along side of major automotive manufacturers and independent eco friendly companies promoting their line of business and products on Sept 30, 2007.

I demonstrated the final stages of my NiMH upgrade and "almost" taken few orders for the near future of PHEV conversions based upon the showing of my "DUAL PWR-PHEV"

I'm continuing posting some pictures of the progress:

[attachmentid=11793]

Rear view of the car with the NiMH conversion system at the EcoFest show today.</span>

Attached Files: