1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PHEV in Europe - Certificate of Conformity (CoC)

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by JoeBlack, Aug 6, 2023.

1. JoeBlack

JoeBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    I received a CoC papers from a dealer, and I guess someone else might find this information helpful as well.
    Originally it was a "picture" scan, so I run it through deskew and OCR. Hopefully it went well, and you could copy text as well.
    It is CoC for a full spec model.

Attached Files:

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    This is great, particularly for giving the full WLTP results.

The WLTP test and the numbers you get are really useful - I had been looking forward to it being adopted. But getting back into looking at new cars because of the Gen 5, I'm appalled to see that nobody is really publishing the full WLTP results, apart from a single combined weighted fuel consumption number!

The reason the Prius plug-in is such a good choice over other plug-ins if you know you're going to do some long runs is because of its high charge-sustaining efficiency, because it's still a HSD once the wall-charge runs out. But people don't publish those numbers, so you can't see it clearly.

To summarise the WLTP values:

Consumption once the battery's run out: 4.6l/100km
    Pure EV consumption: 15.8kWh/100km
    EV range: 72km
    Weighted consumption (assumes ~85% operation with charge, based on the EV range, rest without): (0.7l and 12.6kWh)/100km

And you of course have the low/medium/high/extra-high breakdown too. With the NEDC, you used to always get Urban/Extra-urban/Combined numbers, and the WLTP made it more fine-grained, but they stopped publishing the breakdown!

I've found the details of the WLTP tests and all the numbers, but not what the rules are about what has to be published by manufacturers. Apparently they're "publishing" it on the certificate of conformity, but how are we supposed to find that?

Trollbait and tovli like this.
  3. priusmouse

priusmouse Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Lol wow, Certificate of Conformity sounds like something out of 1984 or some other dystopian novel.

4. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You really deserve a praise for this.
    Toyota EU shine for a lack of transparency not giving the WLTP fuel economy in hybrid mode, i'll provide to spread the news.
    Thank a lot man, i was frantically look for the COC by longtime.

JoeBlack likes this.
  5. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In actual fact, it seems that the last value (0,7 lt/100km) it's only the fuel consumption related to the Equivalent All Electric range, EAER, which include the possibility that the ICE is fired in heavy load condition, unlike the AER, the range without any ICE firing.

So, you get a full battery discharge AND 0,7 lt/100km to do 72 km EAR.

According to the CoC, (EAER 72 km, AER 71 km) and having in mind that WLTP cycle for PHEV wants a cold engine, that should be the consumption of a warm-up cycle during (a 1 km) a strong acceleration in the last cycle.

Something like the red lines in the test procedure of those two PHEVs:

WLTP-charge-depleting-test-sequence-for-two-plug-in-hybrid-electric-vehicles-PHEVs-from_W640.jpg

6. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I get what you're saying, but the fuel consumption during battery depletion would more likely be be the 0.2l/100km for "Combined, charge depleting".

The 0.7l/km is definitely the weighted figure based on the utility factor.

I can't get it all to add up perfectly, but 0.7l/100km is roughly 15% of the 4.6l/100km charge-sustaining consumption, which roughly what it should be based on the utility factor for 72km range - an expectation of 85% charge-depleting use and 15% charge-exhausted use.

(And the G4's figure of 1.3l/100km is significantly higher because of its reduced range and hence utility factor. Not because it's that less efficient on either electric or fuel.)

Maxwell61 likes this.