1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PHEV Prius for $48,000????

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Colonel Ronson, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect that price is a conversion from the Yen price to $US. Our pricing is quite different and clearly there would be zero market for a short range PHV Prius at that price point.

1 person likes this.
  3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Agreed. I sure wouldn't pay it. Now make it a real usable range, considerably better than the 13 the demo car has, and with the increased rebate from the government I'd consider.

1 person likes this.
  4. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Guys, that article is over 1 year old, fyi.

1 person likes this.
  5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The article is a year old. Also, were they actually discussing US $'s or were they Aussie $'s etc?

I know that the PHEV will be very competitively priced when it is actually released.

6. wogue

wogue Lexus CT200h

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You KNOW?!

7. Michaelvickdog123

Michaelvickdog123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't believe that price will be close to the actual price next year.

That said, I do expect the base PVH to be between $5K-8K more than the base G3 Prius.

From a marketing standpoint, Toyota would be wise to keep it under $30K...I expect right around $28-$29K.

8. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The PHEV in the picture is the old Gen2 PHEV prototype which never really made it far in life--definitely not the same as the newer Gen3 PHV prototype.

Andrew

9. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Even at that price the Prius PHEV makes no sense at all. They need to sell it for approx 26K.

10. Michaelvickdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Well, and from what I've read on this site, there are people who would buy - no matter what the price was.

I think the danger Toyota has is pricing a base PVH prius too close to a base Prius. If I can get a G3 for $22K, and a similarly equipped PVH Prius for $26, then I believe the price differential is close enough to siphon away some buyers, from buying the base G3. But Toyota should know this market very well by now, and I'm sure wherever they price it, it will be at a large enough differential so as not to compete (in any significant numbers) with one of it's own models. A $4K differential might be enough? Not sure?

I think my strategy would be to price it in the high $20's, but comes standard with features most buyers want - ie, leather and Nav, etc. Understand that the volume sold would be lower than if the price was say, $25K. I would keep it at this price for a couple of years, or until they were 100% confident in their real-world data, tabulated from 10's of thousands of PVH cars sold. Then introduce a watered down version, that's priced closer to the base G3.

The way I think of the PVH is - it's a G3, but now has the new option of being able to plug-in. If the option price for the sunnroof/solar package is close to $4K from toyota...how much should we expect to pay for the plug-in option, which realistcally, will cost more than the sun roof and solar panels. I'm guessing a minimum $5K differential, and won't be surprised at all if it's closer to $7K.

11. mjv

mjv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Even though it may not be very popular, I am thinking that like the solar panel / tech package issue, they may just go sideways with the price and have it be (like above a G3 model 3 + PHEV), for only a few thousand more, but you won't get the model 4 or 5 options like the tech package/solar/lane assist, etc.

I'm sure people would complain about it, but it would keep their price point low enough to ensure interest, as Lincoln did with their hybrid, having the same price for hybrid or ICE version, but you basically get less horsepower with the hybrid version to make up the difference.

The guy from Better Place also talked about having the vehicles priced even below what the ICE is selling for to help provide an incentive for buyers, although you do run the rise of poor quality being perceived from a lower price...

12. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Right. With so many EVs coming up - I don't think Prius can keep charging a "green" premium.

PHEV Prius needs to be not a whole lot more than a similarly equipped Leaf after credits.

13. Michaelvickdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Well, given that the bigger electric motor, added sensores and other electronics, and the Li batteries will add significantly to the cost of the vehicle....I would be extremely surprised if it undercut, in price, the current g3.

IMO, Toyota is going to do what they think will maximize profits. That's usually what most companies do. That said, to price the plug-in too close to an existing product they have, will not expand their market share...it will only redistribute what buyers they have for hybrids. As it is, July sales figures for the g3 are down something like 24%, with some of the reasoning being - some buyers who might already have purchased g3's, are taking a wait and see attitude as plug-ins and EV are released. If Toyota drammatically cuts their profit margin on the plug-in, so that it competes (price wise) with the existing G3...then no question sales of G3's will decrease and sales of plug-ins will increase...but if Toyota has slashed their profit margin on plug ins to remain aggressive, does Toyota net profits increase, or is it a wash... or even a loss? The price point for the plug-in will be critical to Toyota gaining market share, and not simply re-distributing hybrid customer between the different Prius options.

I also don't think that the same segment of the buying market - who's interested in EV's (ie the Leaf) - are also strongly interested in the plug-in. I could be wrong, but I would think those two segments of the market are looking for different things - ie, plug-in hybrid technology is evolutionary, while EV is perceived as being more revolutionary, and for many, far too risky.

14. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    a lot of people don't have a place to plug in unless you're stealing it from work. so i would think non-plugins would still sell well.

15. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm betting Toyota will price it at around $29,000, so they can advertise it as the lowest priced plugin. Even at that I think they'll be eating some of the cost of the additional battery pack!

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are rumors - and they might be true - that the Gen1 Prius was a loss leader. Some argued that the Gen2 lost money per car for the first few years. If their goal is to put more cars on the road for the long-term (decade), then they would be willing to lose a few bucks during initial roll-out.

I also agree that with the 14 mile range being the lowest of all current (and foreseeable) offerings, they need to price it under the others.

17. Michaelvickdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

That strategy was successfully employed with their Lexus brand for the first 5 years (or so). But in that case, Toyota was NOT yet a player in the upper-end, so they basically had to offer as good (or better) product than the European's, but at a cheaper price.

In this case, if they lower the price too much, then they begin to compete with themselves. Lower plug-in prices just means a re-distribution of buyers (within Toyota's own hybrid cars, and, with other manufacturers of hybrids)...it doesn't mean the segment has grown.

The question is: How to grow that segment of the market?

The quickest way is for gas prices to go up, but short of that, the only way they can grow the segment, with respect to other compact cars on the market that get in the high 30's, is through price. Especially in this economy.

18. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, I'd say the people that are waiting for a PHV are a very small group relative to the people who are being affected by the economy such that they can't buy a new car at all, let alone a Prius. Or are you saying that newly minted G3 owners would buy another G3 this year were it not for the future PHVs?

Good question. We shall find out soon. I have my theories, which don't sound dissimilar from yours.

Tony, doesn't that imply that all other characteristics of the vehicle are identical... power, cargo, HV MPG, brand, quality, versatility, features, materials, etc.? While some buyers might choose SOLELY based on EV range, I think most buyers will consider a host of other qualities when they actually go through the shopping process.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

2 people like this.
  19. Michaelvickdog123

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, I'm not saying anything.

I'm simply reporting what some car analysts have said, which is, (perhaps) a certain fraction of the car buying public, who might otherwise buy a G3 (now), are postponing buying a hybrid until they see what prices might be for the plug-in hybrid. For these people, it's NOT wanting to have buyers remorse on a $25K-$32K purchase. Makes sense to me.

Antedodal evidence...I know a number of folks that have zero interest in the EV. None. But are interested in either a conventional hybrid, or the plug-in hybrid. IMO, unless there' s a strong delliniation in price between the plug-in and conventional hybrid...those two segments will compete for buyers. A re-distribution of buyers who are interested in hybrids. EV buyers, IMO, are a separate breed. I believe those that are strongly considering the Leaf, and not strongly pursuaded to get a plug-in Prius.

20. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    PHV uses the exact same power-train under the hood as the standard Gen III - with the only difference being the larger inverter. Some other differences are the battery packs (2 EV + 1 HV in the demonstrator) and more complex HVAC (heat pump + A/C).