1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Phone Etiquette

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TheAnnoyingOne, Jun 17, 2007.

1. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How ALL American business & government agency phones SHOULD be answered!

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO <name of business>

Press "1" for English.

Press "2" to disconnect until you learn to speak English

2. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Annoying One @ Jun 17 2007, 12:47 PM) [snapback]463488[/snapback]</div>
    I think you must have meant to post that on MuscleCarChat, or maybe Guna$AmoChat. This is PriusChat.

Sorry about your confusion....

3. TheAnnoyingOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve-o @ Jun 17 2007, 10:54 AM) [snapback]463496[/snapback]</div>
    This is FHOP and there is no confusion "amigo"

4. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Annoying One @ Jun 17 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]463506[/snapback]</div>
    FHOP? I assume it is supposed to impress me, but I have no idea what it means.

Edit: I figured it out now I think. Fred's House Of Pancakes. Got it. Is that THE FHOP? The same ones that claim...

"Here at Fred's House of Pancakes, we accept all, regardless of age, race, gender, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, party affiliation, height, or elven characteristics. Of course, you know, that means there will be plenty of people not like yourself, and you're expected to get along with them, or else you'll have to get along with the bouncers."

Got it now. Sorry about that...

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Annoying One @ Jun 17 2007, 10:47 AM) [snapback]463488[/snapback]</div>
    That's not etiquette. <_<

Etiquette would be:
    1) The phone is answered by the third ring.
    2) The PERSON then says, "XYZ Group, this is Jennifer, how may I help you?"

I hate the cutesy, "Good morning, It's a wonderful day here at XYZ Group where your satisfaction is our number one goal, how may I transfer your call?"
    [um . . . I wanted your mailing address, but I changed my mind, go ahead and just transfer me to your competitor at ABC Associates." :rolleyes: ]

6. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It should go like this:

GOOD MORNING, YOU HAVE REACHED (name of business).

If you're a non-U.S. citizen press 1.

If you're a U.S. citizen, press the button on your phone next to the button that has a drawing that looks like a line with a little tail on the top.

(Americans have trouble with numbers)

7. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the hold phrases best, something like: "Your call is important to us, please wait while we ignore it..." :lol:

Love the link Steveo, seems like it's an Aussie version of Jaywalking.

8. TheAnnoyingOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve-o @ Jun 17 2007, 11:30 AM) [snapback]463507[/snapback]</div>
    Consider yourself forgiven, “friend†:p

9. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Annoying One @ Jun 17 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]463555[/snapback]</div>
    I wasn't really looking for forgiveness, I was being facetious. I simply have a problem with the whole 'If you can't speak the language, get out of our country' mentality.

I speak only one language (English), was born and raised in the USA and I agree that our immigration laws are flawed. However, I don't believe that requiring everyone to speak English before entering the country is the solution. It is a very narrow minded and bigoted approach to a real problem.

The quote I provided was to point out what the FHOP is said to stand for and that appears to be equality. I don't know about you, but all of my family immigrated to the USA. All of my wife's family did as well. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find any 'real' Americans without first looking to the Indian Reservations.

It would be a bit awkward if a Native American asked you to start speaking some form of their native language or get out of their country, wouldn't it?

No wait... It isn't their country anymore... We stole it fair and square

10. TheAnnoyingOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve-o @ Jun 17 2007, 02:20 PM) [snapback]463566[/snapback]</div>
    There is no country in the world that accepts legal immigrants and requires them to know the language before they are granted entry.

All other countries, except for the US, EXPECT their prospective citizens to learn the language and assimilate with the local culture.

I do not believe that anybody interested in the immigration reform would have an issue with legal immigrants maintaining their culture and language, within their local cultural and/or religious centers, at the same time that they adapt to the English language and local culture.

Legal or Illegal immigrants that do not become sufficiently proficient in the English language are prone to manipulation by unscrupulous employers and susceptible to all sorts of nefarious schemes.

(If, for whatever reason, I had to reside within an Indian reservation, I would make every effort, as a matter of courtesy, to learn and use the local dialect – to the extent possible, since even there, it is spoken only by the elders.)

11. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Annoying One @ Jun 17 2007, 05:22 PM) [snapback]463599[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed for the most part, however your original post comes across pretty arrogant to say the least.

You kind of missed the point on that last bit, but I understand what you are saying.

12. TheAnnoyingOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve-o @ Jun 17 2007, 03:41 PM) [snapback]463605[/snapback]</div>
    That was the intent – otherwise it would not have generated such an interesting exchange.

Intentionally skipped it – It should be the subject of a different discussion titled “Are we legally in the US?†– Let’s not go there (for now)

Cheers :lol:

13. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve-o @ Jun 17 2007, 05:41 PM) [snapback]463605[/snapback]</div>
    What do you expect from someone who likes to play Devil's Advocate?

14. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  15. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What's REALLY cornfusing is that there are two "Stev-o"s now.

16. Steve-o

Steve-o New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AuntBee @ Jun 17 2007, 11:31 PM) [snapback]463783[/snapback]</div>
    Um... Yeah. Sorry about that.

17. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm the 0 with the number, he's the O with the letter.

I had this name back way in the MS-DOS BBS days, when a 0 looked like a real zero:

Attached Files:

18. TheAnnoyingOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    …do I sense a minor controversy between the “hyphenated†and the plain Steve? :huh:

Back to the OP subject ...please.

19. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The illegal imigration thing really is out of hand. The topic has risen to the public's attention in Portland, OR, becuase there was a raid last week on a food packing plant where about 168 workers were arrested for deportation. Portlands mayor thinks it is wrong. I am sure glad I don't live in Portland under such an ignorant mayor.

Oregon is what is known as a sanctuary state, where local laws to not work in harmony with federal laws regarding illegal alians, and Portland is a sanctuary city. This morning's Oregonian newspaper had a bar graph showing percentage of illegal alians in various jobs here in Porland, OR area. I was surpisesd how many ocupations are over 20 % manned by illegals.

Cooks, 20 %
    Construction Laborers, 25 %
    Maids, Housekeeping, 22 %
    Grounds Maintenance, 25 %
    Misc agriculture, 29 %
    Food Preparation, 17 %
    Dishwashers, 23 %
    Laundry, Dry Cleaning, 15 %
    Insulation Workers, 36 %
    Computer Hardware, 20 %

Imigration advocates always argue that Americans will not take these jobs. Well, my plan is simple.

Do away with wellfare for all but the seriously physically or mentally disabled. Force them to take these jobs, instead of lounging around at home watching all the soap operas. Then, if there are excess jobs that cannot be filled, allow a small and appropriate number of aliens to imigrate legally. Give the imigration to those who learn english and pass a test as a condition of being granted access.

I cannot figure out why they have to display the Mexican flag when they are benifiting from living here illegally.

I am a Bush supporter, but I don't understand why he wants to have another round of amnesty just like we had 20 years ago. It didn't improve the situation then.

They interviewed an illegal alien who has been living in Portland for over ten years, and now ownes his own roofing business. and guess what, he answered the interview questions in Spanish. Give me a break!

20. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Annoying One @ Jun 17 2007, 12:47 PM) [snapback]463488[/snapback]</div>
    That reminds me of the naturalization ceremony I attended once. When the
    lady said, "Congratulations! You are now Americans!", more than a couple
    of new citizens looked confused.

All people from south of the border are Americans already.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Annoying One @ Jun 18 2007, 12:47 AM) [snapback]463822[/snapback]</div>
    OK. Ethnocentric xenophobia.

I would think we could find something more important
    to complain about.