1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Phone interface seems too complex

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Jim06, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Jim06

Jim06 Member

I really, really like my new Prius. I'm pretty happy with my Motorola V710 cell phone.

I'm confused about how the two work together.

I have a bluetooth headset. It works great. I hit the button, and then dial by name or dial by number using voice dial. The headset doesn't need it's own phone directory or it's own voice dial technology. It just hands control to the phone.

Why doesn't the Prius just act like a really expensive bluetooth headset? I don't need a separate phone directory in the car. I don't need the car to support it's own voice dial. I just need it to come off hook, and connect with the phone the way my headset does.

With the "headset" philosophy, there would be no need to set up the Prius' phone book. With multiple drivers, each with a bluetooth phone, each would automatically have their own phone book available automatically.

What am I missing here? I assume this approach isn't unique to the Prius. It seems like the provided solution is more complex than necessary, and provides less functionality.

Thanks!
    -Jim

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Unfortuantely, the Toyota approach to Bluetooth is not as modern as the rest of the car. The Prius acts like a headset of a couple of years ago. The cup holder works fine to keep your phone handy for voice-dialing...

3. Truffles

Truffles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've been happy using my bluetooth phone in my car.

I can dial by number. Granted, it takes a few steps, but the car seems to do a real good job voice recongizing spoken numbers.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The simple solution is not to rely so much on the Prius itself and instead use the features included in your phone. Most new phones now support very good voice control, and dialing from the phone has proven to be much more sucessful for most people. I think of the car as a giant, 28,000 earpiece.

5. Jim06

Jim06 Member

What kind of phone do you have Vagabond?

Are you able to voice dial on your phone through the Bluetooth connection in the Prius?

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Samsung a900 and a a940 for Sprint

No, I hold down the talk key on my phone to launch voice commands - but I hear all the commands through the car's speakers. I keep my phone in the flip down cup holder for easy access.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The prius uses HANDset protocol, not headset. This from what I would surmise allows you to dial a number using the MFD. Bigger screens and buttons on the screen than on a phone, which better when in a car.

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

There is no Handset protocol - you're thinking of HandsFree.