1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Phone near radio station screen

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Psherman82, May 5, 2011.

1. Psherman82

Psherman82 RackNRoad

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had my phone near the screen and all of a sudden the radio turns off. When I power the radio back up I cannot read the screen. It is the usual green with some darkness in places where numbers and letters would be located. I have tried to attach a photo below but this is my first time trying put a photo in a topic.

Has anyone had this issue before? Can the dealership fix my problem?

Best,
    Phillip

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304567912.215417.jpg

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Never seen the problem but is it by chance a GSM based phone? Major carriers would be AT&T and T-Mobile.

GSM phones in 2G and EDGE mode put out some nasty interference that you can hear through speakers. But up bup bup bup bup.... or bzzz bzzz bzz bzzz (while on the phone).

3. Psherman82

Psherman82 RackNRoad

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No it is an iPhone and I have never heard that noise before. I forgot to mention that an email I was writing had just went through at the same time my phone was near the screen.

4. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you haven't tried already, turn the car off and back on (as well as the radio off and on) to make sure it's not a transient issue. If it's not, call the dealer, and get it fixed under warranty. The fact that your phone was nearby is irrelevant. It's possible that the radios in the phone induced a malfunction in the radio, but only if the radio already had a marginal component in it. Under normal circumstances, the radio wouldn't care one bit. How many people have phone mounts near the head unit with no problems whatsoever? I know quite a few.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If it's not a Verizon iPhone 4, it IS GSM based.

If you want to be sure to hear the GSM noises, disable 3G (Settings > General > Network and set Enable 3G to Off). Try making calls, receiving calls, downloading data, streaming music or video, sending/receiving SMSes with 3G disabled near speakers. :)

Turn 3G back on afterward.

If you are in areas w/weak or no 3G coverage, the phone will/can go to EDGE or GPRS (3G near upper left will change to E or what looks like an o for GPRS).

Side note: When I was working for a department at my college, UCLA, we had walkie talkies that were powerful enough to work despite the hills and concrete walls of our dorm buildings. They were so powerful that if you pressed talk while near a CRT monitor, the image would jump. I was in a student's room working on a problem and every time I pressed talk, the CD player on the other side of the room would skip.

Those same walkie talkies, when brought too close to a digital answering machine would mess it up and cause it lose all its memory (I think if you pressed talk near it). That happened to one of my friends.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have that radio (I have the base model) and I have a gsm phone and have held it near the screen and its not done any damage. Perhaps it's the iphone? Maybe it's a coincidence that yours got damaged?

You could play innocent and get it repaired under warranty. Would that be fraud or deception?

7. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As the others said, it's highly unlikely that the phone caused any problems... and on the off chance it did, it's only because the radio was defective to begin with... it should be shielded enough to protect itself from any radiation produced by the phone.

I wouldn't have any moral issues with getting it replaced under warranty, however, I also probably wouldn't mention the phone... not because I'm afraid that they wouldn't cover it, but rather that it might cause more confusion. I would simply tell them that the radio turned off on it's on and when you turned it back on the screen looked like that.