1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Phone steering wheel controls

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ranmandx, Jun 5, 2007.

1. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

I have a deposit on an 07 with everything that is availabe in canada EXCEPT NAV and Camera. I was wondering does the steering wheel on such an equiped prius come with controls for the bluetooth phone? Or do you only get those controls when getting the voice activated nav system. I'm still contemplating wether or not to go with a B package or spend the extra for the integrated Navigation. I need navigation wether it be a portable unit or built in.

2. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Nope, still works, have pk #4 without leather and nav, and the phone controls voice act for phone still work :)

3. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

Could the canadian cars be different? Any canadians here with a B package care to answer as well? If that's the case i'll forgo the nav and get a garmin which i was told is better than the toyota based nav is it not?

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The Canadian Package "B" has all the controls on the steering wheel. Including the nav. button (MAP).

I use the bluetooth phone all the time (connects automatically when I turn on the car). Very cool. I currently use a Virgin Mobile Nokia 6275i. I haven't tried adding my Nokia 6310i yet (it's on Rodgers Pay as you GO). Maybe I'll play with it today.

There is an "OFF HOOK" button to answer the phone, and an "ON HOOK" button to hang up. They are pictorial telephones.

I just "noticed" the "MAP" button (long boring trip ;) ). When I pushed it I just got a message on the MFD something to the effect of "The selected equipment is not available."

The only drawback with an after market nav. such as a Garmin, is where do you put it? I'm not saying I don't prefer this way, I'm just saying think it through before deciding. I like to use Velcro tape to mount stuff on the dash.

Advantages with after market:
    1. You can mess with it as you drive.
    2. You decide what you get and where you put it.
    3. You can see both the MFD and the Nav screen at the same time - no selection required.
    4. Updates on map data are $125, not $250.
    5. Depending on unit, you can use in other cars, including rentals.
    6. Nav unit costs up to $1500, not $4000!

Disadvantages with after market:
    1. "Clutter" on the dash.
    2. Not integrated into the car:
    a ) "MAP" button does nothing.
    b ) Dead reconning only available on high end models.
    c ) If not installed carefully, can become a missile in an accident.

Just some things to consider. Personally I prefer after market. I have three Garmin units, purchased over the years. First was a GPS III+, then I got a Streetpilot III, and the newest is a CF Que 1620, used in a Toshiba PDA.

5. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In real-world usefulness, and intuitive operation, the factory nav just plain stinks. I say go Garmin. you will be much happier in the long run.

The seamless integration of factory nav is very nice in form, but the unit totally sucks in function.
    One day I'm gonna post a thread of all the real-world use examples where the factory nav has failed , frustrated and disappointed me. I can then pick up the Garmin and accomplish the original goal in only seconds, with complete success.

I absolutely detest the factory Nav unit, and passengers have even commented on how bad it is.

I

6. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jul 11 2007, 04:34 PM) [snapback]477080[/snapback]</div>
    Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion.

Personally, I think the Toyota OEM Nav is decent, though aftermarket ones are less expensive and tend to have more advanced features. To say it "failed while the Garmin succeeded" is a bit subjective, as this is hugely influenced by where you are, how new the neighborhood is, and if both units have relatively similar-aged maps.

It comes down to personal choice... here is how I see it; When I was shopping for my car last year, I knew I wanted integrated Nav, but I drive a lot and knew I also wanted a Prius. I generally prefer aftermarket vs OEM for the added features and cost, but due to the MFD/audio system in the Prius aftermarket integrated units could be a bit tricky. I didn't really want a portable one with wires hanging around and having to hook it up and disconnect all the time. Been there, done that.

Then, while I was shopping, I stumbled onto a dealer that had the exact car I was looking for with Nav package and 6K KM, discounted to almost the price of the next-lower Canadian 'B' package. Essentially, trading some mileage for Nav. Considering I plan to drive this car at least 300K KM anyway, 6K KM really doesn't phase me. Sold!

In terms of usefulness, the only thing that really irritates me the lockout while in motion thing. I am really considering cutting that wire and installing a switch...

Just my $0.02. ;)

7. skandale

skandale Member

I ordered my Prius with NAV because I'm tired of always having to take my Garmin Nüvi 360 with me when I park the car.

Yes, it's better at many things compared to the built-in, but it's also a thief magnet. So not having to hide or carry the Garmin made me decide for the built-in.

Stein

8. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To be truely honest and objective about the factory nav unit, I must say the problems I find really revolve around the content and search criteria programming of the POI database. The nav unit itself is really a nice piece of equipment and it's integration into the car is nice.

The problem with POI database is a lack of POI data compared to a Garmin, the way POI's are compiled and the way search results are returned when doing a Spell POI search.
    A Garmin always defaults to returning search results based on what is nearest to your present position. This is the most logical and useful default assumption. (And it also gives you the option to narrow search results around specific other locations if you so choose)

The factory nav returns a name search result based on the entire region that you are searching, and for me in SE Region 10, is 4 states. The result is a return of POI matches that are 100's of mile away from my present position, that could not possibly have any relevance to me, and that there is no way of knowing this unless you select the POI, select info, and see the address is 100's of miles away, frown with disgust, select back, back, choose the next one and do it all over again. INSANE.

Also the POI name search results are very "type" sensitive. Looking for a Wal-Mart? With a Garmin you can type Wal-Mart, Wal Mart, Walmart, or even just Wal, and you get the same results. It doesn't matter.
    The factory nav is very sensitive to this and you gotta know how it's in the database or you won't always get the return you want, if any return at all. If the database has Wal-Mart, and you type Walmart, forget about it. Want a RadioShack? Well is it Radioshack or Radio Shack. ?
    Type it the wrong way and you won't get the return you want with Factoy Nav. With the Garmin it doesn't matter.
    So hey, just type "Radio" ... yeah, you get 4 freakin states worth of POI matches to the word Radio to sift through and figure out. INSANE.
    The point is, if the results were based on nearest to your present position that would narrow the results dramatically to just typing in Wal, for Walmart. But with the programming of factoy nav there is no narrowing down of results, you are just presented the a deluge of returns to sift through.

Let me give a recent example. I'm driving home from a day of hiking with the family. We're hungry and someones suggests we eat at a "Ryan's" buffet style steakhouse. I type in Ryans and get innumerable returns of variations of that word spread out over 4 states. Jeez, lets modify my input, I type in just "Ryan". Again, so many returns, from the whole region, it's overwhelming, but toward the end of the list is "Ryan's" family steakhouse. The first attempt didn't give me the return I was wanting because the search was sensitive to the ' (apostrafy)!!!!!!!!!!!! INSANE. The Garmin doesn't care if it's Ryan's, Ryans, or Ryan.........the result are the same, EXACTLY what I'm looking for, nearest to me, on the first try.

9. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also consider this. The factory unit was never meant to be used for POI searches while in motion.
    Enter the Coastal Lockpick. Yeah I got one. But the problem is since the unit was never intended to be used while in motion, if you do a POI catagory "gas station" search, for example, while you are moving, the results give no indication as to whether the returns are ahead or behind you, just there distance from you.
    Not too useful while traveling down the highway. Who wants results behind them.
    A Garmin would give result with constantly updated, relative direction and distance, to your present position, so you can pick the appropriate one.

Furthermore, when doing a POI catagory search why am I forced to make redundant button pushes to achieve an input? If I want gas stations I must select the "automotive" button, the "gas stations" button, the "OK" button, and the "Show List" button, the get the results. With a Garmin I'd push the "gas stations" button, and that is it !!!!!!!!!!!!

10. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Another example.

4th of July, I'm in a parking lot with family and friends getting set up to watch some fireworks. I haven't had dinner and notice there is Mexican restaurant behind me in the shopping center. How cool would it be to pull up the restaurant in the Prius POI database, get the phone number, and do a bluetooth phone in order. What a cool idea, and opportunity to put all this expensive stuff to use and conveniently get some carry-out for everyone.

That restaurant, Dos Copas, was NOT in the factory nav database. :angry:

When I got home, I checked, and it's in the Garmin !!!!!!!

11. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jul 12 2007, 06:10 AM) [snapback]477408[/snapback]</div>
    Did you know when doing a POI name search you can then filter the results further by city? Once you get your 'insane' list of POI's, hit the "CITY" button at the top of the screen and select your city or nearby city (there is also an option for "nearest 5 cities"). This will make it much easier to locate.

I had overlooked this feature for weeks... and can honestly say it really does make the difference between making the POI Name search usable vs. not!

Though I do agree with your point - there should be a toggle option to sort the list by distance rather than alphabetically...

12. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Jul 12 2007, 07:22 AM) [snapback]477421[/snapback]</div>

I'm quite aware of the feature. But how do I know what city I may be in, when driving down the highway, outside of a familiar area. Defaulting the search to nearest present position would solve this.

13. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jul 12 2007, 07:27 AM) [snapback]477423[/snapback]</div>
    If you press the MAP/Voice button while already on the map, it will display your current city or town and repeat the last guidance instruction.

Also, when you press the CITY button on the POI list screen, the option for "Nearest five cities" will put your current city at the top (IIRC).

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    This is beginning to read like a "Mac vs PC" argument.

Or, to show my age, a RPN vs normal calculator argument.

;)

15. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We just bought an '07 package 5 here in So.Cal. and the bluetooth battery icon on the nav screen always says the bluetooth battery is empty. Are we doing something wrong? Or is there some other equip. we need to purchase?

:eek:

16. fo0bar

fo0bar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lass @ Jul 12 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]477700[/snapback]</div>
    It depends on the phone. On my phone (Cingular 8125 (HTC Wizard), Windows Mobile 5 device), signal strength and battery remained blank on the Prius MFD, and I couldn't sync my addressbook to the car. In my case, I had to download a utility called Jetware Mobile to get those working. It's about $15 (though I'm still in the free trial period). If you don't have a Windows Mobile phone, google around. There may be a workaround, or you may be SOL.

17. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks, I'll check with the phone people. The phone is a Palm Treo 700 windows version, but maybe the Treo people will know more. I didn't even think to check with them.

Thank you!

18. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lass @ Jul 13 2007, 12:02 AM) [snapback]477927[/snapback]</div>
    Here's everything you need to know about Toyota Bluetooth and cell phone compatibility/functionality.
    Let'sTalk

19. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Jul 12 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]477421[/snapback]</div>
    On my 2004 UK version, on the destination screen there's a "POI Near..." button that searches for POIs near current position or a specified town, and lists them in order of distance...

20. silver-machine

silver-machine New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The built in Nav has one very cool feature which scores over aftermarket alternatives - you can use voice commands. I love demonstrating by saying "chinese restaurants" and it shows a display of all the restaurants with a little chinese flag.

I think thats great !