1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Phone to Prius Address book tip

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Three60guy, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ok, I was sitting in my new Prius (take delivery in January) and had my Bluetooth phone with me. It is a Treo 650. I thought, what the heck, let's see if I can transfer the entire address book from my phone to the Prius. What is detailed here is a little tip that made the whole process completely painless and occurred in merely seconds.

For those who have the Treo 650, this will help you. If you have another phone maybe you can use the logic behind it to achieve the same results.

In the Prius phone area set it up to accept your address book from your phone.

On the Treo 650 run the "Contacts" application

Make sure your contacts show "All" as opposed to any other category you have created. This is important. This is from the pull down menu in Contacts.

Pull down the Application Menu (as opposed to the category menu). It should already be showing you the "Record Menu" as opposed to the Edit or Options menu.

Select "Send Category"

Like magic the entire contents of the phone book will be transferred to the Prius. It was very fast. I have a couple hundred contacts in my Treo 650 and the whole transfer took less than 5 to 10 seconds. No individual entries, no step by step one after another procedure. It just BAM went through.

The main point to remember is to have the Treo 650 send the entire category. And because you had previously selected "ALL" then everything was transferred.

I hope this helps someone. I was amazed (and thankful) that it worked.

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Great information, Three60guy. I didn't see your carrier in your post, though. Can you tell us which one (might make a difference for some 650 owners)?

3. Rabid1

Rabid1 New Member

That's fantastic! Too bad most cell phones don't have the same option.

4. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    sorry for not mentioning the carrier. I have Sprint. Glad you found the info useful.

5. Wynder

Wynder New Member

Unfortunately, with the SprintPCS Samsung MM-A940, you have to push them across one at a time. Go into contacts, select a contact to view. Once you're in the detailed info screen, you'll see the 'Send Contact' option appear. I'm not looking forward to doing them one at a time, though I'm glad I only have 25 or so. :)

6. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

Thanks for the tip. I also have Sprint Treo 650 but was not successful in doing what you describe--so I have a couple of questions:

1. When you established your connection between the Prius and the Treo, did you select "Headset" or "Car Kit" on the Treo side of things? Did you end up having to make a phone call while it was pairing (after entering the keycode, as some of us have had to do but not others)?

2. You mention setting up the Prius to accept contacts from the phone address book--how do you do this?

Thanks.

7. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Treo 650 Transfer Hint

I use Cingular (don't think it makes a difference). First I upgraded to the latest software (1.17?). Next, I had to remove all spaces, dashes and brackets from all phone numbers. Once this was done, like three60guy said, everything transferred (up to 2 numbers per contact) in seconds.

8. Vegas Prius&#33;

Vegas Prius&#33; New Member

+

Dude- best instructions EVER. Took me less than 2 mins, 100+ contacts.
    Thanks!

9. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Now that's interesting. Since the Treo 650 uses the Palm OS and the process is based on using a Palm application, I wonder if I could do the same from my Tungsten E2. This might apply to any bluetooth capable Palm OS PDA.

10. chayashida

chayashida Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jfschultz @ Jan 27 2006, 07:07 AM) [snapback]198573[/snapback]</div>
    I tried last night with my Tungsten T5 and it didn't work. However, after reading the above, I suspect that all the "punctuation" in my phone numbers (e.g., (310) 555-2892) might be at fault.

Did you get it to work with your E2? I'll post if I get it working with my T5. This definitely beats sending contacts from my RAZR one by one.

11. PatapscoPete

PatapscoPete New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chris Hayashida @ Jun 30 2006, 11:40 AM) [snapback]279163[/snapback]</div>
    The punctuation makes a difference with SprintPCS Treo 650 (probably with others as well). I noticed that certain numbers transferred, and some did not, or were truncated, e.g. 123 456-7891 transferred 123 only :( , and (123) 456-7891 did not transfer at all :angry: . As soon as the database got to the space delimiter in the original number, it stopped. If it got to the braket first, no transfer was effected at all. I deleted all brackets and spaces from my contacts db, and kept the dashes in. Worked like a charm. :)

12. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Luckily, I had dashes inserted instead of spaces or parentheses.

13. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

I don't have my Prius yet, but I do have a question:

Has anyone tried syncing from their laptop? I have a MacBook Pro, built in bluetooth. I sync my contacts, calendar and to-dos all the time with my phone...why not with the Prius? Any ideas?

14. newkbomb

newkbomb New Member

Is anyone getting phone numbers that transfer as ---------- instead of 1234567890? How do I resolve this issue?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Dec 23 2005, 05:01 PM) [snapback]178264[/snapback]</div>