1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Phone usb connection randomly stops working?

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by PreusV, Jul 31, 2017.

1. PreusV

PreusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just bought a 2013 Prius V 5 with Nav. When I connect my iPhone 7 to the car through usb the connection will work for 1/2 to an hour and then just stop working. The phone will keep playing whatever is playing but nothing comes out of the speakers. I then connect it to AUX to keep listening but I lose some functionality that way. Any idea why this is happening?

2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My bet is the v (note the lower case) has a chip that drives the USB that gets hot and stops functioning. Of course the same could be said of the phone.

3. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The iPhone 4 is the newest iPhone model listed in the 2013 Prius v navigation system manual as being compatible. It's been documented on a number of car forums that newer iPhones draw more power than Toyota's USB ports can provide. Your best bet is to stream audio from your iPhone via Bluetooth or an aux-in cord and to charge your iPhone by connecting it to a USB adapter plugged into a 12V power port.

This means you'll have to control music streaming from your phone. We use dash mounted iOttie phone holders in our vehicles and stream only via Bluetooth.

Attached is a photo of the type of USB adapters we use in our Prius v Five/ATP and other vehicles.

Attached Files:

4. PreusV

PreusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Awesome, thank you both very much. Stinks the car can't handle the higher power draw but it's good to know what the issue is. Is upgrading to the head unit from the 2015+ Prius V a way to solve this? I could go with the cheaper unit as I don't need Nav (use Waze on my phone)

Is there a way to remove the bluetooth connected devices from the previous owner?

5. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A newer head unit won't help. Explore the settings in your Prius v head unit (or read the manual) and you should see how to delete devices and contact lists.

The JVC head unit in our Prius v Five/ATP does a nice job of reading emails and text messages from my wife's iPhone 7 and my Samsung S5 but iPhones don't allow using the canned replies.