1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Phones likes, dislikes and wishlists

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by vvillovv, Jul 29, 2024 at 5:21 PM.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was searching yesterday for a tube I'd seen a few weeks ago about solar research using quantum dots and found out a lot of new stuff about quantum production of current chips used in the latest phones and computers.
    Today I needed some help understand a computers shell behavior and found out about a new (to me) program that searches for readable text in files that don't work nicely with pure text parsing programs due to the symbols encoded in those files. Thanks HowtoGeeks ! Anyways I clicked on an article linked below.
    I thought to myself someone here might like it and others might be interested to know a phone like this still exists today, I know I was.
    As the title might suggest, this thread is more about what others here think about phones of any kind
    not just the newest version of the minimalist one I'm linking to here.
    Why I Pre-Ordered the Light Phone 3, a Minimalist Phone With Screws and a Wheel

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    had a flip phone for years, mostly for emergencies. got an iphone awhile backand wouldn't go back for anything.
    it is so handy to have the net at your fingertips anywhere you go.
    and now, with car companies charging a monthly fee for gps, that reduces my $25. mo.phone payment to $15., which is only 5 dollars more than the flip phone service back in the day

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It seems that once most anyone goes apple they appear to never want to go back. Sadly, kinda, I'll probably never have to opportunity to own, my big brother warned many years ago not to mess with his stuff and I after that I've lost complete interest, other than keeping up with industry viewpoints. I still remember when apple was moving to dragon fly BSD as the base of OSX. I'd read that at least on apple pundit was disgusted with the price Adobe was charging apple to compile DragonFly for them as wanted apple to just buy Adobe. hehe
    Neither here nor there in retrospect, unless looking at how the press in the industry and pundits still behave towards each other.
    I also remember the flip phone days. I had a few too, as well as a razor slide up screen jobber, seems like ancient history now. i got the misses a LG V60 with the dual screen fold-able case. It was the right price and considering there are only a few current flagships that offer it, it was an obvious choice and LG even put out an upgrade from Android 11 to 13 which was nice, at least after I had done all the downloads and installs. It also can shoot 8K video, but the misses never has taken a picture with a phone camera that I know of, so it's camera kinda goes to waste. There is a downside to the LG since they exited the phone industry in that there will more than likely never be anymore Android version upgrades for any of their phones. And the other flagships with the dual screen (one is the pixel 8) I've read is promising Android version upgrades for something like 5 or 6 years. <rant> Like 99% of current owners will keep their phones for even half that long. </rant> hehe ps thanks for sharing \:)