1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Photos of Nissan Hybrid while driving Prius

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by benbethel, Jan 19, 2004.

1. benbethel

benbethel Junior Member

I was out yesterday driving my Prius around downtown Phoenix and saw the new Nissan Hybrid driving around.

Phoenix is the test market for pretty much any new car since all of the proving grounds are here, and quite often we get to see cars with manufacturer plates driving around downtown. I love seeing Citroens, BMW 1-series, Mercedes A-class, VW Polos, H3s, Audi A3s, etc... but was really surprised to see the new Nissan Hybrid yesterday and in a panic snapped a few shots from my car.

Sorry for the quality. This car definitely looks smaller than a Prius and a lot like the tiny Mercedes A-class, but bigger. It had right-hand driving, so this was definitely something meant for another market, but they're usually driving around downtown Phoenix to collect data and possibly for fuel economy information, but not sure?

Anyway, enjoy the photos...

2. benbethel

benbethel Junior Member

More photos...

Here's a few more photos

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Stalker!! :lol:

Great pics! It doesn't look smaller than a Prius from the pictures, though.

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks nice. Hopefully they'll be entering the US market with them.

5. tag

tag Senior Member

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That looks like the same car.

That pic on the page you posted makes it look smaller, like a 4-door civic hatchback.

7. tag

tag Senior Member

8. tag

tag Senior Member

Then I found this on another site:

The Tino is powered by a combination of a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine and an electric motor with lithium-ion batteries. The vehicle is a five passenger car that achieves twice the fuel economy and 50% less emissions. Nissan's Tino hybrid electric car will be sold only in Japan, initially. One hundred of the vehicles will be built, with a handful destined for trials in the USA.

9. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Although the Web site above does not mention this, Nissan is licensing Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive. Guess they're calling it the Neo Hybrid system and Hyper CVT transmission.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the Li+ Ion battery idea, but the electric motor is only 22hp--1/3rd that of the Prius. It also sounds like they've got their own ECu programming if it really starts off in electric only...though I remember similar claims about the Prius. Certainly it CAN do that, but you've gotta be in NO hurry and have a very light touch to avoid the ICE.
    --evan

11. benbethel

benbethel Junior Member

There seems to be more and more of these driving around phoenix - they must be doing some final testing before they release them in japan....

by the way - it's a lot shorter than the prius, but also a lot taller...

ben

12. KudzuPrius

KudzuPrius New Member

OK, so sneak up on one & tell me if the rear seats comes out or fold flat. If the the floor can be flat behind front seats, I'd buy it long before getting a Hybrid SUV.

Looks like a mini-minivan.

Laura

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i like the Li-Ion thing too. i wonder how much more expensive that would be to say do an aftermarket replacement for my Prius. Li-Ion would more than triple the charge storage for the same size. i guess what it boils down to is the difference in price from what the Li battery would cost verses the price i can get for the old NiMH battery on e-bay :mrgreen:
    also the first pic made the vehicle look huge. if you would nt have said the vehicle was smaller i would never had guessed it.

great pics though thanks for the info!

14. bookrats

bookrats New Member

That explains it -- the photos make it look like a van or SUV, but your description of it being smaller than a Prius didn't jibe with the photos.

Thank you for posting them! And kudos to your tenacity -- spotting them on the fly and tracking them through traffic is an accomplishment worthy of TV detectives.

Interesting that this is a full hybrid, since the Tino starts and runs in low speeds under the electric motor only.

Hope the reason that the two Tinos were together all the time wasn't reliability problems (i.e., "bring a spare"). :mrgreen:

15. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  16. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not sure that is a good combination. Seems like it my be a bit unstable.