1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Photos of Vais SLI and AIC-100i

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by BobR, Mar 10, 2006.

1. BobR

BobR Member

I just got the new Vais SoundLinQ SLI and took photos to compare it to the AIC-100i.

The installation of the SLI was identical to the AIC-100i. As an experiment, I connected both the AIC-100i and SLI at the same time. The AIC was setup as a MD Changer and the SLI as a CD Changer. They both worked perfectly together if for some reason you wanted two iPod and Aux inputs.

I will report back on any changes I notice as I use the interface.

http://homepage.mac.com/brusso/PriusRadio/PhotoAlbum45.html

2. BobR

BobR Member

I've had a chance to compare the SLI to the 100i.
    My 100i has 3.48 Firmware and I have a 3G iPod, so I can only make comparisons to this.
    With this in mind, the SLI is overall a nice improvement.
    The sound quality is improved; the screen updates faster and responds more quickly to track changes. Aside from the sound quality improvements, I have no idea if these improvements are due to the redesign or the updated firmware.

With the 100i if I was listing to the radio, I could press disc button twice to switch from Aux in to the iPod interface. Pressing the disc button a second time, with no CD in, will not switch to the iPod interface. I need to select disc - fm - disc to get to the iPod.

Bob

3. aolm

aolm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How good is the ipod screen emulation on the SoundLinQ (Model SLI) - Auxiliary Input Adapter with Apple® iPod™ interface...it looks like the interface converts everything into numbers as though it was a cd multichanger. Can you read the artist name to play by artist? I am on the verge of buying one.

4. BobR

BobR Member

The Vais SLI emulates a CD or MD Changer. This allows for control and to display the text on the screen. You will have to create playlists that will appear as discs to the factory radio.
    Here are pictures on my web site.
    http://homepage.mac.com/brusso/PriusRadio/PhotoAlbum23.html

I'm attaching a pdf that Craig created on the AIC-100i that goes into some detail.

5. aolm

aolm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So you have to convert the "play by artist" function to play lists, that seems doable but unfortunate. THE BIG concern is with regard to the ground loop isolator. This kills frequency response. Did you have to put one in? It says some installations need a GLI. This is a deal breaker for me.

6. BobR

BobR Member

You will not need a ground loop isolator with the SLI. I didn't feel I needed one with my AIC-100i, but others heard some electrical noise and found a GLI improved the sound quality.

I think the sound quality is fantastic with the AIC-100i and even better with the SLI. I had the iPod2Car originally and found the sound was overall much lower then the CD or radio and needed to be turned up which in turn amplified noise. The iPod2Car will not work with anything attached inline to it. I have XM radio, so this was a deal breaker for me.
    The SLI has an option to adjust the volume that it is feeding the head unit.

The only other option, that I have never tried, is the ice>Link.

7. aolm

aolm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds good...I’m Serius guy...unfortunately not compatible with the MFD interface...the second aux input is fine for me...I am in the process of upgrading the speakers...did the vias unit take three weeks to arrive as they mention on their site.

8. BobR

BobR Member

There is a Sirius tuner that is compatible with the factory radio.

http://www.factoryinteractive.com/SiriusPrius/

The best part is the SLI works with Sat Radio.
    I believe the SLI is somewhat made to order. I suggest you e-mail Eugene at Vais and ask him what the availability is. He has always been very helpful.

9. justintodd17

justintodd17 New Member

I just got and installed the SLI. The sound quality is great and installation was not that bad... Everything seems to be working fine except the random function...

DISC RAND and RAND do not seem to be working... any ideas anyone has on what may be wrong would be greatly appreciated.

10. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(justintodd17 @ Mar 31 2006, 01:08 PM) [snapback]233017[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure it isn't working? The numbers don't jump around, but the tracks random.

What kind of iPod do you have?

11. justintodd17

justintodd17 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ Apr 1 2006, 08:19 AM) [snapback]233366[/snapback]</div>
    I have a 4th Gen Ipod...

Yeah... the tracks play consecutively reguardless of RAND or DISC RAND being turned on...

I don't understand. Everything else seems to be working fine.