1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Photos Prius Foglights Only Beam Pattern

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by NoMoShocks, Mar 20, 2008.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Conrad asked me if I could post photos of Prius Fog Light Beam pattern with Headlights off. This also ties in with a question I am researching regarding best upgrade bulbs for fog lights.

I want to upgrade my fog lights to whatever would actually work best in fog and rain, and be suitable for use as my Daylight Running Lights. I am leaning toward yellow. The theory is that a single wavelength of light will scatter less than white light including all colors. Here is a link where two PHD types argue both sides. http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/phy99xx4.htm.
    I am leaning toward the yellow is better camp. Seems like the white lite would creat thousands of rainbows that then overlap agian and create a basic white blur. If fog and rain drops are too large to scatter light as the second PHD suggests, why do we ever see a rainbow after rain?

Any recommendations between
    PIAA Ion Crystal Yellow,
    PIAA INTENSE WHITE,
    HELLA Yellow Star
    or others?

I had an extra GE UltraVision laying around, so I put it in one side and it is slightly brighter, but hardly noticible difference.

PIAA are not "legal" as headlights, but aimed low, I doubt they would be "Stick out like a sore thumb illegal". Of course, my main concern would also be not to create glare for other drivers, which is also supposedly improved by using yellow.
    Here is the Fog Lights Only Pattern on screen and road.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Combined Headlights and Fog Lights on screen and road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here, a Subaru Outback owner gives a posative review of the PIAA Ion Crystal Yellow Piaa 9006 Ion Crystal Yellow for Outback fog lights - Subaru Legacy Forums

His photo PIAA Ion Crystal Yellow fog light only.

[​IMG]

And his photo PIAA Ion Crystal Yellow fog light with headlights.

[​IMG]

2. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the photo. Looks like the reflector on the fog light is not very efficient. There isn't a very defined pattern.

I used the Silverstars on my Volvo's foglights and it had a very defined cutoff and well spread pattern. In my Prius, the fogs just throw light every which way. I have mine adjusted pretty high up, too.

I think the best solution is to pull the factory fog lights and replace the entire unit, housing and all, and replace it with a better designed system.
    Maybe something like this:
    [​IMG]

3. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you think that maybe the standard bulbs are just too weak? I actually thought the pattern looked fairly good, and was looking forward to trying it out with upgrade bulbs.

Look at the pattern on the screen (my utility trailer at about 5 feet and garage door at about 20 ft - pardon the dark light absorbing trash containers. The pattern looks pretty rectangular to me, but if you have seen better, perhaps it might not compare.

[​IMG]
    I will try to find an all white wall to show a better view of the pattern. By the time it hits the road, I am not sure you can expect super clean edges on the light pattern. I may get some of the housings you pictured too and compare them side by side.
    Can you give me a hint on how to adjust height of OEM fog lights? Is it harder than getting in to change the bulbs?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the photos!

hmm... just standing by the front of the car, the foglights have a wide fan patterns (so close illumination and wide).

It's not supposed to be focussed, right?

5. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, that is right. It is intended to be wide to illuminate lane markings, shoulders and deer running up along side of you in dense fog. I have learned quite a lot in my research on fog light the last few days.

One thing is that turning on fog lights during clear weather at night decreases you vision rather than increasing it. By adding the extra fill light up close, your eye's pupils may contract, actually lessening you vision out in the distance which is what you need going at faster speeds in clear weather. So as for me, fog light off from now on unless it is foggy or raining.

Oh, and durring daylight hours, I will use them for others to see me.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting...

So it's just the light output that's poor? (just like the JBL front tweeters. The position is fine but the tweeters aren't up to the job?)

7. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That sounds like a fair analogy. Perhaps if you get my mind fixed on upgrading the tweeters, I will forget all about the fog lamps.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. So they had the right idea but I guess it didn't go through completely for whatever reason.

Oh well, I won't be doing any mods any time soon (as much as I like that PS2 mod and HID fogs). Have other things in mind that are of higher priority at the moment.

9. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is the latest scoop.
    I have been discussing my lighting upgrade plans with Dan Stern at dansternlighting.com, and he has been very helpful. He suggests that my plan to use the fog lights as DRL is not as good as a turn signals implementation would be. Since the turn signals are designed to be veiwed from wide angles, the make real good DRLs.

Apparently, the real reason that yellow makes a better fog light is that our eyes are more sensitive to the longer wavelengths to we preceive yellow light better. It is a cones and rods kind of thing. Also, Fog lights to be used with regular head lights are less useful with the HID headlights becuase HIDs already fill in the space right in front of the car very well.

I need to get a DRL Module to operate the front directional indicators as DRL or a couple of solid state relays.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ahh ok. Yeah I've seen some HID retro headlights with HID yellow fogs and they look pretty good.