1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PHV Prius Battery Capacity

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ssaylor, Jul 13, 2011.

1. ssaylor

ssaylor Junior Member

Looking at the IRS docs for incentives/rebates... will 13 miles qualify for a full $7500 rebate?

Who knows what the battery capacity of the 2012 Prius PHV is?

Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicles (IRC 30D)

Internal Revenue Code Section 30D provides a credit for Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicles including passenger vehicles and light trucks. For vehicles acquired after 12/31/2009, the credit is equal to $2,500 plus, for a vehicle which draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least 5 kilowatt hours of capacity, $417, plus an additional $417 for each kilowatt hour of battery capacity in excess of 5 kilowatt hours. The total amount of the credit allowed for a vehicle is limited to $7,500.

The credit begins to phase out for a manufacturer’s vehicles when at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009). For additional information see Notice 2009-89.

Manufactures of the vehicles listed below have provided appropriate information and have received from the Service acknowledgement of the vehicles eligibility for the credit and the amount of the qualifying credit. The list of qualified vehicles provided below applies only to vehicles acquired after December 31, 2009.

Index to Manufacturers

Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicles (IRC 30D)

CODA Automotive
    General Motors Corporation
    Nissan North America
    Smart USA Distributor LLC
    Tesla
    Think
    Wheego Electric Cars, Inc.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes it will be eligible but we do not know how much since official battery information has not been announced yet.

Using the demo cars battery it would be around 3100 dollars but we do not know if the battery for production will be the same, larger or smaller. The size determines the credit amount. Bigger means more of a credit.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The prototype had 5.2 kWh battery pack. If they count the 0.2kWh, the tax credit comes out to $3,000. If they round it off to 5 kWh, it is $2,917.

4. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just read in the Toyota FAQ that it charges at 1kw for 3 hours. So I expect that they have added about 3kwhr to the original 1.3kwhr. This is way low for what I would need.
    I have a 2010 with 4kwhr added in an Enginer system. That did about 90% of my need. When I boost it to 6kwhr, I get about 99% of my need.

So, I am thinking that the Toyota factory plug-in will be good for urban usage, but will be a little lacking for people like me that typically do 25-35 mile round trips.

Thanks,
    Dan

5. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    + added power from less motor starving
    + greater mpg even when plug in charge depleted (if regen charges pack)
    + greater ev cruising speed

There are still benefits.

I also doubt they will go barely under the 5kwh battery and blow the discount.

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I agree

7. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    This week in batteries ( TWiB ) - A 200 mile EV or a 13 mile PHEV? You choose.

He thinks usable is much higher ...

8. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    40% of 5.2 is roughly 2 so if it follows the normal SOC for Prius it could be a 5.2kwh battery with 3kwh of charge if topped off. If it peaks at 80% then it would be closer to 7.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I predict a capacity of 4+(3000-2500)/417 kWh. (5.2 ANAD).

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Warranty for the PHV battery is 10 years / 150k miles, as it meets eAT-PZEV. They are high power and not high energy density.

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember this was the prototype battery and had an extensive heavy frame. We don't know what the production battery pack will be, but the info from Ken was total capacity was 5.2Kwh in the prototype used in the demo cars.

We can hope that in production the packs are either lighter or have higher capacity. My guess is lighter, but the production packs "might" look exactly like prototype.

12. Raleigh Prius owner

Raleigh Prius owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am very interested in converting my 2010 Prius IV w/sunroof to be PHV. You referenced you have done this to both of your Prius 2 and 3rd Generation. What Kit did you use? Did you do it your self? Did it void any warranty? Thanks.

13. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's an Enginer 4KW kit. It is the only kit that will work with Gen III Prius. You have to be light on the peddle in order to get good mileage. If you drive it like a regular Prius, then the mileage increase is only marginal. The difference between OEM PHV and converted PHV is that on the OEM PHV you start with electric only so you get phenomenal mileage. As you get toward the end of the electric range, the engine kicks on to drive the wheel and the million mpg starts to drop. By the time you've driven 30 miles you're at about 100mpg give or take a few mpgs. The longer the distance you travel beyond the electric limit, the lower the mileage you get. With a converted PHV, you start with crappy mpg because you're warming up your engine. As the engine warms up, the mileage gets better and better. you'll always get 50-100% better mileage compared to regular Prius. For example, during the first mile on a regular Prius you might get 25mpg. With a converted Prius you might get 40mpg. By the time you've driven 10 miles, you're at 80-100mpg. As you continue driving, your mileage gets better and better until your battery runs out. Then, the mileage will start dropping the farther your drive
    My best tank so far
    [​IMG]

14. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Raleigh,
    You might go to Taylor automotive in Sanford. I know He is respected in the area.

Also You can read my thread about my 2010.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ic-vehicle-installation-in-portland-area.html

I have had oil changes at the dealer with no problems but have not had need for Toyota to do warranty work.

Thanks,
    Dan