1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PHV Prius Website and an iPhone

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by iRun26.2, Oct 8, 2011.

1. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    This question really isn't specific to the PHV Prius, but that's what I'm interested in, so I'll ask it here in hopes someone has an answer (maybe an iPhone forum might be a better place to ask this)...

I want to go to Toyota's special website for the PHV using my iPhone (to watch the videos and read the FAQs). I always get redirected to their stupid mobile site (which is lame) and have no option to go to the 'full site' (like many other good websites offer).

Is there a way around this? I hate being restricted to using a computer to read about the PHV when my iPhone is a perfectly capable web-browser.

2. usdmattiphone

usdmattiphone Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's not free, but you can download "Puffin Web Browser" from the app store. Then navigate to the site. Many of the videos might be choppy or not play, but if you're willing to risk 99 cents, you can at least browse some of the site like you were on a normal computer. Some of the demo videos are in flash, so they will display with a flash icon. You press the flash icon and it should load the video. But like I said, it's a mobile device with a slower processor and not designed for flash video so the performance probably won't be identical to a computer.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Most mobile devices direct to a mobile page because of the operating systems' are horribly inadequate regarding their flash capability Android only got it right recently, when they moved up to v3 ... gingerbread.

4. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Flash is great if you want it. I don't. Any website that requires flash to do anything gets negative points in my book. I have a plugin installed on my desktop computer that blocks all flash, unless I want to see the content. And even if I do want to see the content, it offers it to me in alternate formats first (e.g. HTML5 or QuickTime). As a matter of fact, when I look at the video on the PHV website about how to order, it loads in HTML5, not Flash; this could very well be done on a mobile device, including the iPhone. Additionally, the Toyota Cars, Trucks, SUVs & Accessories front page doesn't have flash either. So there is absolutely no excuse for the crummy web designers that don't at least let users choose which version of the website they see.

I would rather have the choice to go to a non-mobile website and have some parts not work than not have the choice at all.

I think part of the reason for wanting the regular website is that the mobile website is typically a completely different design - which is useless, if I know exactly what page I want to go to. I've seen exactly one mobile website that I'd consider almost perfect; it was for a ski resort, and was made to look similar to the iPhone interface, with buttons for different functions - typical things you'd want to see from a phone, like traffic, lift status, directions, nearby food, resort info, etc. Just about every other mobile website I've seen just takes the top 5 most-visited parts of their website and plops them onto oversized buttons. However, those top-5 usually doesn't include the one detail that I'm looking for, making the whole site effectively useless.

1 person likes this.