1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Physical Key - Battery Disconnect

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prairiecomm, Aug 22, 2011.

1. prairiecomm

prairiecomm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We disconnected our 12V battery in order to reset the check engine light (went on driving at high altitude w/ 87 octane). Locked the car, came back the requisite 20 minutes and can't open the driver's door with the physical key. Argh!!

We understand it should turn a short way, then require considerable force, tho not necessarily pliers. A little nervous about using pliers to force it ... suggestions?

We're pretty sure we tested the key when we bought our used 2008, but can't remember. Should the key be 'reversable' ie, go in either way?

Anyone familliar w/ Seattle Toyota?

Thanks,

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have to turn and hold the key in the unlock position while pulling the door handle to open the door.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ditto this. You turn the key all of the way, and pull the door handle while holding the key turned.

Tom

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it takes force with the 12v disconnected. it should be hand force, not plier force.. all depends on your hand strength really...

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So you are in my region now? Sorry, I haven't used that shop.

But I hope you are not saying that the check engine light was caused by using 87 octane fuel at high altitude. That won't happen anywhere in this state, or in any neighboring state. And probably not in Colorado either.