1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Physics Professor says WTC collapse caused by thermite

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Apr 11, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

Physicist Says Heat Substance Felled WTC

In the Media

Deseret Morning News
    Monday, April 10, 2006
    http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635198488,00.html

Extremely hot fires caused structures to fail, BYU expert says

By Suzanne Dean
    For the Deseret Morning News

EPHRAIM — A Brigham Young University physicist said he now believes an incendiary substance called thermite, bolstered by sulfur, was used to generate exceptionally hot fires at the World Trade Center on 9/11, causing the structural steel to fail and the buildings to collapse.

"It looks like thermite with sulfur added, which really is a very clever idea," Steven Jones, professor of physics at BYU, told a meeting of the Utah Academy of Science, Arts and Letters at Snow College Friday.

The government requires standard explosives to contain tag elements enabling them to be traced back to their manufacturers. But no tags are required in aluminum and iron oxide, the materials used to make thermite, he said. Nor, he said, are tags required in sulfur.

Jones is co-chairman, with James H. Fetzer, a distinguished professor of philosophy at the University of Minnesota of Scholars for 9/11 Truth, a group of college faculty members who believe conspirators other than pilots of the planes were directly involved in bringing down New York's Trade Towers.

The group, which Jones said has 200 members, maintains a Web site at www.st911.org. A 40-page paper by Jones, along with other peer-reviewed and non-reviewed academic papers, are posted on the site.

Last year, Jones presented various arguments for his theory that explosives or incendiary devices were planted in the Trade Towers, and in WTC 7, a smaller building in the Trade Center complex, and that those materials, not planes crashing into the buildings, caused the buildings to collapse.

At that time, he mentioned thermite as the possible explosive or incendiary agent. But Friday, he said he is increasingly convinced that thermite and sulfur were the root causes of the 9/11 disaster.

He told college professors and graduate students from throughout Utah gathered for the academy meeting that while almost no fire, even one ignited by jet fuel, can cause structural steel to fail, the combination of thermite and sulfur "slices through steel like a hot knife through butter."

He ticked off several pieces of evidence for his thermite fire theory:

First, he said, video showed a yellow, molten substance splashing off the side of the south Trade Tower about 50 minutes after an airplane hit it and a few minutes before it collapsed. Government investigators ruled out the possibility of melting steel being the source of the material because of the unlikelihood of steel melting. The investigators said the molten material must have been aluminum from the plane.

But, said Jones, molten aluminum is silvery. It never turns yellow. The substance observed in the videos "just isn't aluminum," he said. But, he said, thermite can cause steel to melt and become yellowish.

Second, he cited video pictures showing white ash rising from the south tower near the dripping, liquefied metal. When thermite burns, Jones said, it releases aluminum-oxide ash. The presence of both yellow-white molten iron and aluminum oxide ash "are signature characteristics of a thermite reaction," he said.

Another item of evidence, Jones said, is the fact that sulfur traces were found in structural steel recovered from the Trade Towers. Jones quoted the New York Times as saying sulfidization in the recovered steel was "perhaps the deepest mystery uncovered in the (official) investigation." But, he said, sulfidization fits the theory that sulfur was combined with thermite to make the thermite burn even hotter than it ordinarily would.

Jones said a piece of building wreckage had a gray substance on the outside that at one point had obviously been a dripping molten metal or liquid. He said that after thermite turns steel or iron into a molten form, and the metal hardens, it is gray.

He added that pools of molten metal were found beneath both trade towers and the 47-story WTC 7. That fact, he said, was never discussed in official investigation reports.

And even though WTC 7 was not connected to the Trade Towers — in fact, there was another building between it and the towers —and even though it was never hit by a plane, it collapsed. That suggests, he said, that it came down because a thermite fire caused its structural steel to fail.

Jones said his studies are confined to physical causes of the collapses, and he doesn't like to speculate about who might have entered the buildings and placed thermite and sulfur. But he said 10 to 20 people "in the know," plus other people who didn't know what they were doing but did what they were told, could have placed incendiary packages over several weeks.

© 2006 Deseret News Publishing Company

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. And the thermite was planted from the Grassy Knoll.

This is the same ol' physics prof. with the same ol' arguments.

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Apr 11 2006, 02:47 PM) [snapback]238113[/snapback]</div>
    Of course, there COULDN'T have been any other material within the towers that would result in a yellowish molten substance right?

Again, no it couldn't have been varying grades of concrete, insulation material, whatever else... :rolleyes:

There are so many holes in this, it isn't even funny...

4. jared2

jared2 New Member

Ignorance is bliss.

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Apr 11 2006, 03:11 PM) [snapback]238123[/snapback]</div>
    Blindly believing the words of a small group of people must feel pretty good too, eh?

I'm not being ignorant. But I think that extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof. A massive conspiracy would be necessary to coordinate everything (which involves not only planting the explosives, but also arranging to have the planes crash into the buildings). What evidence is there that such a conspiracy was in place? None.

I find an interesting parallel between these comments and the comments in the other (Evolution/Intelligent Design) thread. Sure, it's possible that God created all of the fossil history and DNA ties just to fool us, but all data points to the "evolution by natural selection" explanation. Is it possible that someone planted explosives as part of a conspiracy to bring down the WTC? Sure. However, extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof and I've seen none of that to this point.

6. mitchbf

mitchbf New Member

Well far be it from me to take sides one way or another. I do find it interesting that you reject the idea of a conspiracy here, considering the known facts. We had a cadre of individuals who came into this country, took flying lessons and commandeered four planes, three of which made coordinated attacks on strategic locations. This did indeed take a great deal of planning and preparation. It isn't inconceivable that a similar group was involved in planting explosve charges that could have been planned for detonation upon the impact of the planes...

7. Mystery Squid

Well, I will give the conspiracy theorists this little tidbit: I think it wouldn't not have been too difficult to plant some sort of structural explosives. I've lived in NYC, and every now and then, had business within the towers. Prior to the 9/11 paranoia, I do not think it would have been too difficult to simply get off on almost any floor. Heck, do you know how many food/take out deliveries take place every day in a building of such size just about filled with various businesses?

I have yet to be convinced of anything other than the obvious though. Steel beams are steel beams, but slam a what, 30 ton aircraft into them at xxx hundred mph, add tons of burning jet fuel, and, quite frankly, I'm surprised they stayed up as long as they did... The buildings absorbed the aircraft entirely, I thought that was pretty impressive... I mean who knows, maybe if they were smaller, had less fuel onboard, who knows...

8. jared2

jared2 New Member

"extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof and I've seen none of that to this point."

There is a massive amount of evidence about 9/11, but you do not care to look because you have already judged a conspiracy to be impossible. I am not going to list all the books, videos, websites on the topic. If you want to see how much evidence there is just go to www.911truth.org. I understand the people only believe what they want to believe. But you cannot simply dismiss thousands of pieces of evidence. If you reject as "extraordinary" the claim that a controlled thermite demolition brought down - for example WTC 7, then I think you have an obligation to offer some alternative explanation of how a huge modern steel and concrete building that was not hit by any plane could suddenly collapse at the speed of gravity? [something that has never happened in the history of steel skyscrapers - including the one in Madrid where a fire burned for days and the building still did not collapse] I would love to hear your explanation. Also, if people reading this post have to chose between believing a distinguished physics professor and the likes of mystery squid, who do you think has more credibility?

9. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mitchbf @ Apr 11 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]238132[/snapback]</div>
    This I disagree with (and have since day 1). It worked because of it's simplicity. It does NOT take too much intelligence or skill to get behind the yoke of a 7x7, follow a heading and altitude, and guide it into a very big, and obvious building on a bright sunny day nonetheless. Take off and landings are a completely different story, but obviously, there weren't concerned about those aspects...

10. mitchbf

mitchbf New Member

And how much more planning does it take to make and plant explosive charges in out of the way places in a large office tower that no one is suspectiing to be attacked?

In the grand scheme of things I don't disagree with you. The elegant plans are typically the ones that work. These guys pulled off a coordinated plan, however complex you want to view it. I don't think what is being proposed is any more complicated, particularly since this band of maniacs has shown that they're more than happy to stand there and throw the switch at the right time, even though they'll be dispatched along with the innocent bystanders!

11. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Apr 11 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]238129[/snapback]</div>
    The extraordinary proof was wisked away quickly to China for meltdown. Why, espeicially when it's against the law to destroy evidence. Who made that decision and why? Fortunately a lot of video proof and firsthand witnesses are still alive. Everyone that was working in the bowels of the building heard multiple explosions *below* them. Their testimony is on record.

12. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Apr 11 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]238135[/snapback]</div>
    :rolleyes:

I knew you'd toss out the "credibility" factor... :lol:

Dude, anyone can see a conspiracy in EVERYTHING. You're ALWAYS going to have a faction that disagrees on ANY particular subject/concept (heck, use PC as a sample lol ).

You, are actually, a victim of your own accusation. You are simply "buying" what someone else is saying. You don't even think for yourself and consider such things like the "geo-physics" of that area. How do you know that one 110 story building CAN'T cause enough shock to knock down other buildings around it (which are ALL built differently)? You're not even questioning anything, just accepting it because someone has this piece of paper in a frame behind their desk. THAT is far more important than "credibility"....

13. jared2

jared2 New Member

"Steel beams are steel beams, but slam a what, 30 ton aircraft into them at xxx hundred mph, add tons of burning jet fuel, and, quite frankly, I'm surprised they stayed up as long as they did... The buildings absorbed the aircraft entirely, I thought that was pretty impressive"

What about WTC7 - it was never hit by a plane but suddenly "collapsed" ?

14. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Begreen @ Apr 11 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]238141[/snapback]</div>
    But of course, they MUST have been explosions right? Do you have the slightest idea of all that goes on in such situations?

Ok, I'm going to stop now, you conspiracy theorist believe what you like, it is your right.

...and the Department of Homeland Security has allowed you to post your viewpoint on a public message board, Bush can't be that bad then can he? :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Apr 11 2006, 03:59 PM) [snapback]238147[/snapback]</div>
    Is it not totally conceivable a 110 story building crumbling to the ground could send enough of a "shockwave" to compromise the foundation of a nearby smaller building? Particularly when you consider the land mass for which those buildings are built upon, isn't exactly 100% solid mass.

15. jared2

jared2 New Member

Why was the steel from the WTC immediately shipped out of the country instead of it being tested for evidence of explosions as has happened in every other major disaster? Why did the Bush administration make every effort to block an investigation into 9/11?

Why should anyone give more credibility to "mystery squid" from "outside Boston" than to a physics professor from Brigham Young?

16. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Apr 11 2006, 04:07 PM) [snapback]238150[/snapback]</div>
    Yo man, I don't know... As far as I knew, it was all shipped to a big dumping ground somewhere in NJ for a while... why then, ultimately it was shipped out of the country, who knows, maybe because there wasn't a conspiracy? :p

17. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Apr 11 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]238135[/snapback]</div>
    How do you know he's distinguished?

As someone who interacts every day with PhD physicists at one of the top universities in the world, let me just say that I would not trust them to make any sort of judgement on the structural stability of skyscrapers. Heck! I don't know if I'd trust them to make a judgement about lunch. Joking aside, I would give these assertions more weight if there was a few structural engineers on board. I have read a lot of documents about the physics of the collapse and have not seen anything that I would classify as "suspicious." I could go and read all of the sources that you cite in detail but, frankly, I'm not qualified to make the judgement as to whether they are credible. While I always keep an open mind, I choose to believe the most credible explanation.

18. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 11 2006, 01:01 PM) [snapback]238148[/snapback]</div>
    That's total nonsense. Really.

19. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Apr 11 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]238150[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

Who's asking for more credibility in the first place? Do I CARE who you might find more credible? NO. I'm just posting my comments on the matter, take them how you like, just like most of what you write... :D

20. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Apr 11 2006, 04:11 PM) [snapback]238156[/snapback]</div>
    Then you must have some idea about what caused the collapse of WTC7, right?