1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Physics Questions!!!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jonathanrohr, Apr 30, 2007.

1. jonathanrohr

jonathanrohr New Member

Hey, so ive compiled up a bunch of questions to study for my physics final exam tomorrow.. er.. today.. and some of them dont come with the answer. So I was wondering if I could get some confirmation from you guys. These are mostly conceptual:

An egg falls from a birds nest in a tree and feels no effects due to the Air. As it falls;
    A)Kinetic Energy is conserved
    B)Mechanical Enegery is conserved
    C)Momentum is conserved

Kinetic energy equals (.5)MV^2... therefore, if it is accelerating due to gravity, its velocity will go up, and thus Kinetic Enegery will not stay the same.

Momentum is P=MV. Again, the same deal with the velocity.

Mechanical energy is defined as the potential plus the kinetic. If i remember right, Kinitial + Pfinal = Kfinal + Pinitial... which essientially means that whatever energy is lost from the potential is gained in the kinetic. It would be like if i had 10 bucks and you have 5 bucks; together we have 15; even if i give you 7 to where you would have 12 and i would have 3 WE still have 15... so wouldnt this be the answer???

heres one more that I dont like:

A roller coaster car is on a track that forms a circular loop in the vertical plane. If the car is to just maintain conctact with the track at the top of the loop, what is the minimum value for its centripetal acceleration at this point?
    B) 2g upward
    E) 1g upward

This one is weird... if you have the 2g up, and subtracts the earths 1g down, that gives you 1g towards the track. Thus, in this case it would be like the car wasnt upside down, so it would maintain contact for sure. Yet, they want the minmum value.

1g would make it essentially weightless. yet.. if your weightless, you just stay where u are. Therefore, if it was touching the track, it would stay touching the track.

Furthermore, regardless of wether you buy the 'weightless' idea of mine, it can be said that 1.0001g would be just enough to just push it down on the track, so therefore 2g would be WAY more than the minumum. So i say E. Do you agree?

last one.. i stink at free body diagrams:

Compare the two situations: james is holding a rope on a pulley and keeping a bucket at rest. Bill has tied the rope on a pulley back around to the bucket so it keeps the bucket at rest. In both cases the bucket is the same mass. in what case is the tension in the rope higher?
    A)james
    C)it is the same

this one makes me unhappy. I want to assume that the tension would be cut in half in the second situation because it is held from two points, but it still just the ONE rope. So im not sure..

thanks for any all help guys!

dont lose any sleep over it tho, i only need a 62 to keep my A...

thanks again!

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonathan Rohr @ Apr 29 2007, 09:50 PM) [snapback]432390[/snapback]</div>
    Without knowing which came first, the bird or the egg, I'm afraid I can't help you! :rolleyes: <_<

Anything with math or numbers was by far my worst subject in school. Good luck with the test tommorrow, er... today. :)

Wildkow

3. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonathan Rohr @ Apr 29 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]432390[/snapback]</div>

B)Mechanical Energy is conserved

E) 1g upward

On the third one, I don't understand what Bill's configuration looks like, so can't answer without further clarification.

4. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonathan Rohr @ Apr 30 2007, 04:50 AM) [snapback]432390[/snapback]</div>
    This Doesn't sound right. If indeed Mechanical energy is defined as the potential plus the kinetic then Kinitial + Pinitial = Kfinal + Pfinal.

As an object falls kinetic increases but potential decreases.

E) 1g upward

I can't remember exactly what tension is but suspect the more ropes between the pulley and bucket the less tension in the rope. It doesen't matter if it is one rope traversing twice or two identical ropes.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hobbs @ Apr 30 2007, 08:29 AM) [snapback]432466[/snapback]</div>
    That is correct. No energy is being added or removed, just converted from potential to kinetic.

The problems always come down to what is the system. In this case I assume the OP is talking about just the egg, so all of the above answers are correct. If the system is the egg and the earth, then energy and momentum are conserved. As the egg falls toward the earth, the earth falls up toward the egg. The downward momentum of the egg is canceled by the upward momentum of the earth.

When analyzing classical physics problems, always draw a line around your system, then remember these three things:

1) Energy is never created or destroyed, just converted from one form to another, or given from one object to another.

2) In elastic collisions, kinetic energy is conserved. Elastic collisions are ones like colliding billiard balls.

3) In plastic collisions, kinetic energy is not conserved, only momentum is conserved. The lost energy is converted to heat. Examples of plastic collisions are car wrecks and bean bags; ones that go splat and smush, instead of whack and crack.

Good luck on the test,
    Tom

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    1. Mechanical

2. 1g at the top of the loop. Imagine swinging a yo-yo in a vertical circle (same principle as the car). If you swing it very fast, it stays in a circle and you can feel the g's at the bottom and the top. If you swing it slowly, it doesn't make it all the way up and instead falls back down.

Now, if you swing it just barely fast enough, it'll travel in a circle. Slow it down any, and it won't fall straight down to the ground, instead it'll do a little "skip" at the top of the arc where it doesn't complete the circle. This *should* show you that the car can be traveling so as to be "weightless" while still maintaining forward velocity enough to regain weight the very next second as it starts down the other side of the track.

3. Free body diagrams are great... but require drawing. Take the first example where the guy is holding the rope. You have a force g acting downwards at the bucket, and at the guy, and a force of 2g acting upwards at the pulley. Each section of the rope thus has a tension of 1g on it (if the tension was greater then it would overcome the force pulling it down, moving the object).

In the second situation, you have a force g pulling down at the bucket, and another force g pulling up at the pulley. Since there are two lengths of rope between the two, you can infer that each length has a tension of 0.5g. Any greater, and the over all tension pulling upwards at the bucket would overcome the mass and move the bucket.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with your answers on the first two questions. I think they are clear and obvious. In the second question, the weightless roller coaster maintains contact with the track, but just barely.

In the third question, I analyse as follows:

In the first situation, when one end of the rope attaches to the bucket, and the other end is held in someone's hand, the bucket end of the rope supports the bucket's entire weight. The hand-held end of the rope has to balance that weight, so it also supports a weight equal to the bucket. A comparable situation would be if EACH end had a bucket of equal mass tied to it.

In the second situation, the weight of the bucket is supported by both ends of the rope, which therefore share the load, and each end supports only half the total weight.

Therefore the tension on the rope is greater in the first situation, where the rope ends are separate, one with a bucket, and one held by a hand.

I like these kinds of problems. I am sure you could come up with ones that would baffle me, but these three seem very straightforward, though in the second one I had to rely on your definition of mechanical energy. And I think you described them extremely well. I had no problem visualizing what you described.

And good luck on your exam.

8. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonathan Rohr @ Apr 29 2007, 09:50 PM) [snapback]432390[/snapback]</div>
    If this is a college exam and not high-school, I hope it's "Physics for non-science majors".

9. jonathanrohr

jonathanrohr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Apr 30 2007, 02:52 PM) [snapback]432683[/snapback]</div>
    It was college.. i didnt see the calc based problems are easy to check and make sure you got right. the conceptual stuff can be tricky.

but anyway.. after turning in my test i asked the prof, and:

-mech energy was conserved
    -1g upward
    -and the situation where he his holding it has more tension

so i got em all right.

thanks guys!

10. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If I did not know an answer I wrote down "green". I figured someday it had to be right. B)

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonathan Rohr @ Apr 30 2007, 01:23 PM) [snapback]432748[/snapback]</div>
    Sweet! :D