1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Picked Up New 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ErikU, May 28, 2006.

1. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So I placed the order for my car on 4/24/06 and got a call saying that I could come and pick it up on 5/26/06. Was told last Thursday that it was available on Friday and I had anxiety attacks for about 24 hours!!! I honestly can't remember when I was so excited about something like I was with this. The whole experience was great and I was taken care of beyond any expectations.

The only thing that I didn't like was when I was filling out the loan paper work and the loan guy wrote me up a loan with every single warranty for the car and handed it over to me without even asking if I wanted any of them. Yes, he did go over all of them but never asked... :huh: I looked down at the information and I thought I was going to throw up because it increased what I had calculated for my monthly payments by about $175. At this point I was about to cry because of the wait and the excitement and to have it all crash down to me not getting it because of a huge monthly payment. Then I noticed all the warranties the guy included. I then told him that I wasn't interested in any of the warranties and his attitude COMPLETELY changed. He got all hot and puffy with me and said, "I can't believe you are spending this kind of money on a car and then are not taking the necessary precautions on protecting your investment." Every time I signed a waiver for not accepting additional warranties he would say, "sign this....this you stating you don't want to activate the XXXX that is already installed in the car....." and doing it in a very "You are so stupid" kinda way. It really preterbed me. I really wanted to tell him to take his attitude and stick it you know where, but I am pretty much a nice guy and left it alone.....just saying I really did not like his attitude towards me. In the end, I told him that I would go over all the warranties over the next day and give him a call back if I changed my mind.

For the two days I have driven the car I am averaging about 48 mpg on the MFD and am Loving it!!!! So much better than the ~19 mpg that my old car was getting!!!!!! Last night, after showing the car to my brother and sister I actually got two 5 min bars with an average of 75 mpg and couldn't believe it!!! I was playing around with the pulse and glide technique and it really does work as I have read. I just can't wait until I get used to the car and really start to maximize the fuel efficiency.

Overall, I'm so impressed with the car's interior, exterior and all the little perks the car has over my last vehicle. I am just gitty all over :) :) :) :lol: I think it handles great and have no issues with getting knocked around by crosswinds and trucks as so many people have posted.....and this is with the texas winds, where we were having a wind advisory yesterday. All in all, I am overly impressed with the car and more than completely pleased with the car. IT IS AWESOME!!!!

One more thing, I had a great experience with my car saleman and if you are in the area and are looking I will highly recommend him.....give me a PM if you are interested........but keep in mind of the loan guy's :)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! Let no one stop you from getting your Prius heh.

3. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks.....enjoying every mile!!!

4. jclay1965

jclay1965 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Congrats on your new Prius! As for the finance person at the dealership and all the 'Warranties' they tacked on without asking you first, this is a classic tactic and one of the reasons I hate buying a car. It's also a way that dealerships make a lot of extra money off of you, and they hate it when people refuse all the extras they tack on because they are marked up so much from the dealer's actual cost it's amazing. It's okay to be firm with them, most of the time it's the only way they will understand that you are not a pushover.

Anyway, welcome to the club and enjoy!

5. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you! Yes, I agree with everything that you said about the finance guy.....I think it would be better as a sales person to go over them (like he did) and then ask which ones I would be interested in and then go from there. Anytime someone automatically puts charges on me I get really upset and get closed minded about the whole thing, even if I was originally interested. Attitude is also a good selling point....I might have even got a few on there but with the attitude change and him talking to me like I was in the first grade really turned me off. Anyway, I am enjoying my new car to the max.