1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Picked up new 2011 last night. Amy precautions os things I should look out for?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Silver NY P3, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Silver NY P3

Silver NY P3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just picker her up last night. Loving it so far. :D But is there anything I should do or look out for. I know with my previous cars there was a break in period where I kept it under 55mph for the first 3k miles and it went in for a service after 1000 miles. Toyota Tolstoy me I don't have to bring it in till 5k miles for an oil change. Does that sound right to you guys? Please help a hybrid noob out. LOL

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Break in period is talked about in the manual, like no hard breaking hard accelerating for x miles etc. Basically on new vehicles the break in period is very small and almost non existent anymore. Oil changes are 10,000 miles if you use synthetic 0w20 oil as required. Many do change their first oil change before 10000 miles though.

3. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congrats on your new purchase! I started seeing my best mileage after 5000 miles. Maybe it's a break-in period or maybe I finally learned the optimal way to drive a hybrid.

A couple of things you might be cautious of:
    The lower front bumper "lip" is close to the ground so be careful pulling into parking places. If the cement stop-block is high, you can easily guff the lip and the paint chips off easily. Add to that, you really can't see the hood so it's hard to gage.

Be prepared to see other drivers pass you so drive to the right as much as possible if you are "hyper-mileing".

Otherwise welcome to PC!

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The very first break-in requirement is to sit down and read through all of the sections of the owner's manual that apply to your particular option package. The manual is full of stuff you need to know, more than you can easily get by riffling through threads here.

But yeah, in the first 600 miles don't stomp on the gas or the brake, vary the speed and keep it under 60 MPH. No need for an early oil change.

5. Silver NY P3

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok cool. Thanks guys. But I had to hard brake this morning. Some @$$ in the HOV Carpool lane in a mini van behind me kept flashing me for about 4-5 exits. There was cars in front of me so I don't know what his problem was. So I stopped my car and rolled the window down for him to pull up next to me. He didn't. So I drove off and he cut it out. Didn't even look at me when I merged to get off the exit.

End if rant. LOL

6. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Silver, there's an adjustment period to the "Prius haters" out there - usually driving gas guzzlers. No need to respond to road rage as long as you were going the limit and not impeding traffic (again, you will find staying to the right avoids most trouble).
    Don't worry about hard stops, but yes if you "baby" the throttle for the first several hundred miles and vary your speeds a bit, you can't do any harm to the engine. This will also help you learn how to get the best mileage too.

My dealer didn't press me for an oil change - even on my 1 year visit as I'm still under 10k on the car. Once it hits 10k, I will do the oil change. Oddly, the oil still looks good. My prior car's oil would get "dark" after 4k miles.

7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats--enjoy.

Agreed on investing a little time reading the owners manual--lots of useful info there.

8. DaYooper

DaYooper Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, prepare to fill your tank for under $40 and drive 450-500 miles :D

9. Silver NY P3

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah I found out I have heated mirrors and auto headlights. LOL The DVD was helpful. I'm sure it'll go away but I have 1/2 a second of panic when the gas motor cuts off. LOL and I have to get used to the ground chearance coming from an 09 grand Cherokee where I didn't work about pot holes or anything I'd just roll over everything. Ha ha ha

10. Silver NY P3

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My last car was $75 to fill. Would get about 275 miles and last me 4 days in my commute.

11. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you have auto headlights, it must be new for 2011 in the US, because the US 2010 Prius doesn't have them. From memory, in the owners manual it's one of the "if equipped" items. The headlights do turn off automatically after the car is powered down, but they are not auto on, meaning they don't turn on automatically based on lighting conditions.

1 person likes this.
  12. Silver NY P3

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh. Yeah than that's what I have then. LOL I just leave the lights on and when I open the door and lock the lights turn off in 30 seconds.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just thinking of things that were wonky on ours, that you might check:

1. Verify the one-touch up or down of both front side windows is working. A single touch up or down should send the window all the way up or down. If it's not working there is a re-learn procedure floating around. I found it but neglected to document.

2. Check your spare tire pressure. Ours at delivery was 40 psi, should be 60.

3. Get it waxed.

4. Check your (regular) tire pressures. They should be at least per the drivers door placard, but a lot of mileage concious owners like to push them higher, say 42/40 front/rear, for starters.

14. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A few pointers . fortunately, I am not speaking from experience.

1 - Do not let it run out of gas. It is significantly easier and saves a lot of problems to just buy gas when it gets low.
    2 - Do not leave it parked for extended periods of time. If I am away, I have someone drive it after two weeks.
    3 - Do not attempt to wade through deep water.
    4 - Do not attempt to tow a trailer.

The comment about the low front bumper is valid, as I bet you have already discovered.

It is a great vehicle and I believe/expect it to provide dependable/economical/ comfortable driving for years to come and many, many miles.

Bask in the delight that you able to drive to visit family and friends; that you can enjoy a pleasure ride without taking out a bank loan, and you can take a driving vacation. Relish the thouight that you are indeed, a very savvy shopper.

1 person likes this.
  15. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    :welcome:

Please, please, please - DO read the manual. 90% of your initial questions have answers in it.

This is one car where reading the manual is actually helpful (once you manage to identify and skip all the various CYA legal disclaimers and warnings - about 50% of the manual - but the rest is really helpful).

I don't understand why Toyota dealers are pushing US customers to change the oil at 5k miles (what's all this ripping off??? - like as if customers cannot read the Toyota official documentation about the planned checks of the car - not to mention that the MFD displays when you have to change oil...not in EU version though... :( )- in EU first change is after 15K km or about 8k mi - I know in the US is 10k mi.
    Use 0w-20 synth oil. The manual says that other types of oil can be used (for example 5w-30) but only every other time. Once you use 5w-30, the next time you *have* to use 0w-20.

16. robertk328

robertk328 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Be careful with carrying stuff in the front seat, and have your passengers put cargo in the back. The glove box (and dash) scuffs easily, and if you have the darker interior it's an eye-sore - but you get over it after a bit.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Regarding the oil change interval:

Being in Canada, I went with the Toyota Canada 8000km or 6 month requirement, doing it myself yesterday afternoon. In my case, it was 6 months that governed, and the odometer was at 7022km. I know detergent motor oils are designed to keep contaminants in suspension, and that a dark oil is just doing it's job. That said:

The oil I drained at 7022 km was very dark, the oil filter also pretty dark/grungy.

Listen to the debate, consider all the directions, but make up your own mind on this. Personally I'd rather err on the cautious side.

18. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take the time to read the owners manual.......then read it again. !!!!!!

Enjoy your new car........it's a real jewel !!!!