1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Picked up our Driftwood Pearl pkg. 8 last Friday!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by divide, Sep 11, 2006.

1. divide

divide New Member

We picked up our 2006 Driftwood Pearl Pkg8 from TJ Prayner at Grossinger Toyota in Chicago last Friday. We live in Colorado but couldn't get straight answers, a reasonable deal (was like pulling teeth, just for MSRP), or a guaranteed date from anyone in our area, so we made a road trip out of it. I'll have to post another thread about the great service. TJ was great, picked us up in a timely fashion, didn't give us the runaround on anything, had a shiny driftwood prius waiting for us, and even let us test drive a Highlander Hybrid while we were waiting for the finance guys to gather our paperwork (not expecting that much power I chirped the tires pulling out of the parking lot... that Highlander is pretty impressive...).

We spent a day sightseeing in Chicago and then headed out the next day toward home, still on our "*** Full tank of gas ***" itemized on the window sticker. Being a genius, and thinking that I had at least 20 miles left on the last blinking pip, I figured I'd stop and get gas when we hit 500mi on the odometer. The dash lit up like a christmas tree at 502mi. Luckily we were just about a mile away from the next exit which had a gas station. Given judicious use of the momentum we had at 80mph on the highway and subsequent judicious use of the battery power, we made it to the dealer with one bar of purple left on the display. I think it was just about 2mi from where we ran out of gas to the pump. I wish I'd gotten a photo of the dash (can't seem to find one on here), it makes you feel like the car is about to burst into flames.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest of the trip was uneventfully smooth, we managed about 47mpg on average (guessing a bit as we haven't filled up a third time) for the 1000+ mile trip. The first part of the trip was at an average speed of 80mph, but I dropped to 75mph and later to 65mph through the Denver traffic. I was surprised at the mileage as I've heard much lower averages before the engine is fully broken in. We even managed 49.9mpg on the last leg of our trip.

[​IMG]

We're quite happy with the car so far, it's been as impressive as we'd hoped! Thanks again to everyone for the great input and wealth of information on this board, it was invaluable for research and pointers in our search and knowing what to look for when we picked up the car.

-Peter

2. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Showoff! :p :D

You guys are making me even more anxious for my car to come in in November. I am going to be sure to take a checklist with me when it comes in, though may not be really necessary since I pretty much know what to check for (following the DOT-based pretrips on semi's which is pretty thorough). I look forward to taking my new Prius down to TX to visit for the holidays this year, provided one of the 4 dealerships in my area I placed an order with gets mine in time before Nov. 18th.

This is going to be my very first new vehicle purchase so I know I am going to be giddly as a schoolboy. Gonna make sure to take a pic of the dash with whatever the odometer reading will be.

Either way, congrats on your new Prius and enjoy the ride! :) Sounds like the trip back to CO went quite well.

3. jclay1965

jclay1965 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You know, after reading your post I am ready to go out and buy another Prius! Here I am not quite 4 months after picking up our 2006 Classic Silver Metallic with PKG #7, just turned 5,000 miles on the ODO (yes, service light is 'ON'... just set up the first service appt for this coming Thursday) and I can't begin to tell you how happy we are with this car. It has not been back to the dealer since the day we drove it off the lot, not one single problem, not even a squeak or rattle. Constantly amazed on how little money we spend on gas, and we are driving it so much. This car has converted us forever!

Enjoy!

4. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Chicago region dealers are a cut above. TJ had a great deal, but not the color we wanted. We flew up from Florida to buy our #8 in Indiana. We paid MSRP, got the colors we wanted, and had fun driving home through the Smokies. Enjoy!

5. nicoss

nicoss New Member

Placed an order on 7/21 and picked up my Driftwood Pearl #8 a week ago (9/1) :D from Longo Toyota, Internet fleet group. My sales person Allen and finance manager Jeffrey bent backwards to speed up delivery and keep the trade-in (PRIUS 2003, lifetime MPG 44) quoted price although I had 3000 miles more than when they appraised it (66000 mi).
    MSRP of course but they added the integrated Sirius sat for free (dome type of deal between Toyota & Sirius) and gave me a major discount (under a gentleman’s non-disclosure agreement) on the glass breakage sensor, LoJack and carpet mats.

Just ordered the Mudguards & Body Side Moldings, next in line the underbody stiffening plate.

The annoying:
    Overfilled with dino oil – 1.8†above the top mark !!, :angry:
    Service did not want to add air over the specified claiming that the pres. sensor would trigger. :huh:
    Resolution:
    Wondries Toyota service :D (ask for Alex) – Mobil 1 synth. 5/30, 3.5 q and 40/30 psi (sensor did not trigger)

P.S switched to Wondries 2 years ago after Longo service used twice the wrong oil and flooded me with marketing fliers and “we expect an EXCELLENT grade on our service†with pre-checked (!) forms.

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations!!

Those are some pretty good exterior pictures you've got there...are you a photographer??

Next time don't wait till the dash lights up or until you've reached "X" number of miles on a current tank. Glance every so often at the "guess" gauge to see how many pips/bars are left and make a note to fill up before the last one starts blinking! :D

7. divide

divide New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jclay1965 @ Sep 11 2006, 10:18 PM) [snapback]318142[/snapback]</div>
    I agree, it is certainly addicting. I didn't expect to get such great gas mileage so early on! I wonder what it will be like in another few thousand miles :) I've already gotten quite used to the smart key and smart start. Haven't been in another car since we picked up the Prius, but I imagine it will be disorienting.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brasche @ Sep 11 2006, 10:27 PM) [snapback]318146[/snapback]</div>
    Picking the car up and heading right into a road trip was definitely the right decision. I was very happy dealing with TJ, and it was nice to spend a good fifteen hours in the car directly after buying it. Driving on the highway was probably good for the first thousand miles of breakin, anyway. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Glad you had fun driving through the Smokies! We drove through Iowa and Nebraska... and it was overcast and rainy the whole time... but still a nice drive!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nicos @ Sep 12 2006, 10:01 AM) [snapback]318362[/snapback]</div>
    Another pkg. 8 driftwood! We hadn't seen the factory leather before we picked ours up, but I was very pleased with it. Seemed worth it to go with the factory leather instead of the add-on as the steering wheel, all armrests, and the fold down armrest in the back were all covered in smooth factory style.

What's your feel so far on the transition from the '03 to the '06? I've never driven a classic before, I'll have to find someone in the CO Springs area that wouldn't mind letting me check out their car :) What's your average MPG so far and how many miles do you have on it? Curious how well the '06s do before they're fully broken in.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Sep 12 2006, 04:06 PM) [snapback]318594[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the complement, I try to be a photographer, but I seem to rarely impress myself. I do want to take a slew of interior photos with the leather and post them somewhere -- I had no luck in finding any when we were researching the factory leather decision. Glad we made the decision, though! It's awesome! I have a 10mm wide angle lens, so I should be able to get some neat interior shots.

I agree, fill the tank as soon as it's down to one pip. I wanted to make 500 miles though!!! I thought it'd be safe to assume that we had another 30-40 miles as I could assume that in most other cars I've owned, including the old 4Runner... I figured in the Prius it'd bee more like 80 miles. Oh well. Lesson learned. I just wish I'd taken a photo of the very, very, very angry dash. Looked like some scene in an action movie, just before a pilot has to bail out of his fighter jet.

-Peter

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on your new purchase!

9. nicoss

nicoss New Member

Ahh the transition… more space, better looks, much better handling and power.

On my ’03 averaged 43 MPG over 69000 miles – my average dropped from 46 MPG after I replaced the Integra OEM tires at 45000 miles with Michelins Harmony.

Out of the dealership the ’06 would not do any better that 38 MPG (see my post about dino oil and “to spec†tire inflation)
    After switching to synthetic and setting 40/38 PSI, I’m in the range of 48 to 52 over 650 miles. This morning I had a few 60 MPG 5 minute spans going 70 on the 10 FWY !.