1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Picked Up "Wire-Tunes"...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Mystery Squid, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I searched for and read the last thread on it back in May. I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens... Anybody out there that has, perhaps, installed and used it successfully?

...are IN, and it DOESN'T WORK.

Head unit does not recognize Ipod. Just about the exact same result as two other people previously wrote about, Ipod just sits there with the check mark on the screen saying, "OK to disconnect", and there's no way to actually select the Ipod using the "mode" button.

Gave their tech support a call (who knows maybe they had some new info.), they answered immediately, and the guy was super friendly. However, their computers were "down", and I would have to call back on Monday... He then said he remembered something about how they work on an '04 and not on an '05, or vice-versa, he wasn't sure. In any event, I'm not going to put any more time into this, I'm simply going to return it and research other methods.

Props to Chris Dragon for his "Stereo Installation Guide", it was pretty much on target. It's FAR easier than it looks, and after doing it once, I can have the stereo out in probably a little under 10 minutes! :D

2. BobR

BobR Member

USASPEC Aux input

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid\";p=\"109491)</div>
    I tried the USASPEC Aux input, it too doesn't work.
    http://www.usaspec.com/aux2.htm

Bob
    05 Package 4

3. elwood

elwood New Member

Gee, I wish I'd joined this group a day sooner. This afternoon I went to Circuit City and had the Wire-Tunes installed on our new (80 miles) Prius. They tried two of them, and neither one worked. Then they tried an Auxiliary line in adapter, and it didn't work either. I have the basic radio/CD, with no CD changer, no DVD, no navigation. I also have a DLO TransPod FM transmitter which is usable, but certainly nowhere near the sound quality the iPod puts out. The line out on it, though, does work great in my "other" car with a cassette adapter. If only there were another way of getting music from the iPod to the stereo without being reduced to a ho-hum quality FM first.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I called the Wire-Tunes manufacturer this morning, and they say flat out that it doesn't work with the Prius.

5. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hybrideyes\";p=\"110455)</div>
    lol, then they should really remove the "2004-UP PRIUS" from the back of their box.....

6. taaustin

taaustin New Member

Try iPod2Car... that's what most folks seem to be having luck with. I'll be installing one as soon as my sound techs can find the additional cable needed.

Terry

7. BobR

BobR Member

The iPod2Car doesn't work, or work correctly, if you have a CD-Changer or XM Radio. I have XM so was looking for something else.

Bob

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did anyone with a 2004 try this yet?...

9. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul\";p=\"112303)</div>
    Yeah, me.

:mrgreen:

10. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ah, couldn't tell from your first post, since the guy said they DID work on an '04 and you didn't call him wrong. So far, all failures had been '05's. And when I talked to someone at Wire-Tunes (or whoever) a while back, it supposedly DID work with a Prius after they had tested it.

Thanks...

11. mycroft

mycroft New Member

Assuming that it's ever worked for anybody, could the difference between cars with and without the built-in cd changer / nav system?

I'd love a workable aux input on my 2004 Prius (with builtin changer & nav system). Most "available & shipping" options either don't work, or you might have to do something like restart the car to use the cd changer. At least that's the impression I've got...