1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Picking up my new Prius!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hdrygas, Aug 6, 2004.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I need a bit of help. First I would like to thank everyone on the board for everything they have taught me about the Prius. I am better prepared than 90% of buyers thanks to all of you. It has been a journey from making a decision (is it time yet) to ordering to getting a car. I got the license and registration today. I get the car a week from today. I would like a bit of advice on the pick up and drive home . I have the pick up check list and have downloaded the manual and yes read it. So here are my questions I hope you can help.
    First any tips for pick up. I am interested in stuff that is not on the list that most folks might forget. Check oil? Check air pressure? My son gets his car serviced at this dealer so I don't want to be too big a pain in the posterior but I also need to drive this car 700 miles and go to work on Monday.
    I plan to drive around up to Wolf Creek "Buster wants to fish"(and by the way old Rawhide house is still there) and Craig and then back to Helena then around town to meet my son as he has to work that day. I would expect that to be 40-50 one way. Things are a bit far apart in Montana. My son drives to Great Falls to see movies, one hour at posted 75 mph though he probably goes 80. So I expect to put 100 miles the first day. My concern is the "burn off check engine light" thing. I have to be back home in Olympia on Monday at 0 dark thirty. I intend to ask the dealer about this but do I keep driving or stop or what.
    Now we get the the drive home. Saturday, Helena to Missoula about a hour and half 70 mph on two lanes for 2/3 and 75 on I 90 for the rest. You go over the divide on the steep side just out of Helena. Reads steep grade up 2-3 runaway truck turnouts going down. Some fishing on the way. Over night at Missoula. Any suggestions particularly the climb? How fast to go. Remember this is Montana people drive 70 on two lane roads, speed limit is 75 on I 90 to the top of Lookout Pass. I will not sacrifice this new car to "go with the flow" however I do not want to be run over either. Suggestions?
    OK here is the Montana gas thing. Regular unleaded 85, mid grade 88. I assume I get 88 right?
    Moving on to the drive from Missoula to Olympia. Three passes and three areas with potential for really significant crosswinds. I would like driving tips for this.
    Finally any tips for the "handling" the local dealer who has lost the sale and has to service my car.
    I guess I am asking for your advice and council. I haven't had this much fun in a while!

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

88 octain and drive it. if you can put on a hundred or so before starting the journey home the better, I doubt you'll have any problems but a hundred in the first day and if you do straigtht to the dealer and scan it. Up and down all the hill is just what the motor wants. My trip home was 2 1/2 days long and 3 tanks of gas and not a single problem. Make sure the first thing you do is straight to a gas station and fill it up, that way your first tank won't be a question, did they fill it up or just till the first click and is the mileage on the mfd really the mileage it gets. Before you go buy a digital tire pressure guage and check the tires for yourself when your at the gas station. Check the oil too. Then drive your new baby!

3. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    hdrygas : Regarding the second dealer, just remove your name from the list (getting any deposit back) then tell him you got one else where, but you still want him to service it for you. I doubt he will care about the lost order as the profit they make is so small and the waiting list so long. He will easily sell "your" car. He will make his money of you on servicing anyway.

4. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Check the tire pressure and bring it up to 38/36 or at least to the recommended 35/33. Add fuel. Enjoy your drive home; don't worry about so many details--it's a Toyota, you should make it home ok.