1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Picking up my new Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BeVaR, May 25, 2007.

1. BeVaR

BeVaR New Member

12 hrs from now, will trade my 'Hoe for a pkg 6 Prius (drving 3 hrs to pick up). Have been lurking for 2 wks and seen loads of suggestons, but what would you all say need to do to make ths the best ride possible.

2. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Bring a good cd for the drive home, The car will do the rest ENJOY & Congrats, oh yea try and get some shut eye

3. dfrost7

dfrost7 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ May 25 2007, 09:28 PM) [snapback]450174[/snapback]</div>

Pkg 6? You have bluetooth? Just set up your phone, your CD, or not, and push that little button. You're going
    to wonder why the rest of America is driving around in dinosaurs. Keep in mind, it takes a little breaking in sometimes to get the higher mileage - don't get freaked out like I did, and many others. Talk to some of the smarter people here about the Pump and Glide technique. But enjoy!

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know the screen is seductive, but practice the voice command Screen Off now and then(1). I think the screen can be distracting when you first get a Prius. It's good to learn the feel and sounds of the car too. And the Prius will make a lot of sounds you aren't used to at times you aren't used to. Don't panic if you are accellerating under load and it sounds like the ICE is revving too high; the clutch isn't slipping since it doesn't have one(2). The car will make noises when you get in, before you do anything. It will make noises after you power it off, sometimes well after you power it off.

When you get home and have time and leisure, then you can explore all the nav and bluetooth features, the climate screen, the phone settings, etc. Until you have time to appreciate the techno-marvel it is, just drive your new Prius and get to know the car's behaviour. It can and will take care of itself.

(1) To get the screen back on, press the Info or Map button on the steering wheel.
    (2) The Prius has a fixed clutch between the ICE and HSD as a shock absorber for when the ICE starts. Since the car is always in gear, this clutch, which is always engaged, helps cushion the gears from an engine kick.

5. BeVaR

BeVaR New Member

The screen is seductive, oooohhhhh aaahhhh look, its getting 99.9 mpg, or "hey, there is a grocery store we'll never vist, whats ther phone #". I think we will try turning it off for a while. Turned 47.2 mpg (comp) over 252 miles on 80% interstate and the rest hilly Ozarks back roads. Loved every minute of it. The thing is truly a marvel. Cant belive for what it cost, what it will do. Thanks for the replies. I will however, be turning that damn reverse beeper off, OMG. Spending the rest of the weekeng getting to know it. Thx again

6. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The recommendations I would make are:

1. Learn how to "pulse and glide".
    2. Try navigating around the different screens, then say "Help" on the voice command to figure out what you can do via voice.
    3. If you have an iPod, get one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009KAP...rd_i=B0001J3Q9W
    This particular DC adapter is awesome because it can stay plugged into both the DC power and aux jack of the center console (if you buy a male to male cable). It allows you to jump in the car and plug your iPod in to the charger, instead of both a charger and an audio cable.

7. bsoft

bsoft New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ May 25 2007, 08:41 PM) [snapback]450217[/snapback]</div>
    Regarding (2), i've never actually heard it before - thanks. One thing though - if you can't disengage it, is it really a clutch? Perhaps it would be better described as a "slip plate".

8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bsoft @ May 28 2007, 12:10 AM) [snapback]450936[/snapback]</div>
    It's actually called a transaxel damper.
    [attachmentid=8377]

Attached Files:

9. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ...Looks like a clutch to me!! :D

Now the question is....how do you pop it?! :lol: