1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Picking up NEW Prius Friday. Should I cancel???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cc999, Mar 9, 2010.

1. cc999

cc999 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My gut feeling is to pick it up. I got a great deal (1900 under sticker). Now I hear the soothsayers telling me don't get it etc because of todays incident. What do you think?

Charlie C
    Future NEW Prius owner

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless you want to use it as leverage for a better deal, I'd still pick it up.

3. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When in doubt, PANIC!!!

Every time I've seen people get emotional about a business deal, they usually screw-up.

To put things in proper perspective, there are hundreds of thousands of Prius automobiles on the road. Anomalous (automobile) behavior is only experienced in less than 1 %. (Anomalous behavior exhibited by drivers is far greater.)

If you got a good deal (already signed the documents), go ahead and follow through with the deal.

Keith

4. cc999

cc999 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    NO buyers remorse here I have never been so excited about getting a new car as getting the Prius! I am 50 years old and have had 12 new cars from corvettes to Lexus to Grand Prix and everything in between and have never had the anticipation of picking up my new 2010 Grey Prius III!

Charlie

5. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Think of it this way, if you're going to have second thoughts each time you sit down and drive your new Prius, thinking that you're going to get in a horrible wreck, then you're probably better off not buying it. Save yourself the hassle and constant worrying. If you're going to be adversely affected by all these sensationalized media stories, then it's probably a good idea for you not to sign that dotted line.

Every morning on my drive to work and every evening on my way home, I'm not thinking whether I'll make the six o'clock news about another horrific Prius story. I know my Prius is going to get me to point B safely, all the while saving me fuel costs.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try to get a better deal!!! Act real concerned.

7. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have to ask that question, perhaps a Prius is not for you :(

8. PRIUS007

PRIUS007 James Bond -007

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You probably could do better than a $1900 discount as well. The local Car Max that sells New vehicles, has a Prius V @ $2102 off of MSRP.

9. anneg2010

anneg2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought a red version III yesterday and then heard about the San Diego incident. I do not regret buying my car. Until I see a bunch of 30-40 year-olds having problems driving their prii, I feel safe. As a prius newbie (but of medicare age), I think it's like cooking, if you can read, you can drive one safely.

10. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I agree if that phoney or stupid incident bothers you then please don't buy it. It would be best if you do not buy it.

11. cc999

cc999 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dont get me wrong all, this incident does NOT bother me at all. I was just wondering what the general consensus was.

Like I said in an earlier post:I am 50 years old and have had 12 new cars from corvettes to Lexus to Grand Prix and everything in between and have never had the anticipation of picking up a new car like I have in getting my new 2010 Grey Prius III!

Charlie

12. john_dough

john_dough New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think you will get a better deal going forward. The situation is still worsening for Toyota. Heard a news report claiming you can now get 5 year interest free financing and about $2k off sticker. From a purely monetary point of view, if you can get out of your deal at no cost, that might be the thing to do. On the other hand..........

13. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are that excited about it then you should get it. Personally I have a love and hate relationship with my prius so there you go. I wish I didn't buy the new one and picked up a second hand Gen2 Prius for cheap.

14. CharleneN

CharleneN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I love my new Prius. Got it Jan 8. Went out and drove it around town this evening after 2 days of over exposure (granted mostly self inflicted!) to this story. Didn't think much about it except to wonder how many people were eying me sideways. Love my MPG's and think this is a terribly fun car to drive. If you are not scared by what is going on, by all means buy it. If you are, don't. BTW I am jealous of the deal you are getting. At the time, I could only get $700 off of mine.

Which ever way you go, good luck to you!

15. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----

We love our 2010 Prius and got a great deal in December. Nevertheless, I believe that I could negotiate an even better price for the same car today. You will never know that the market is at the bottom until it starts back up. This seems like a really good time to negotiate a great price on a Prius. Then you'll need to decide whether you want to take the vette or get 55 MPG.

16. a1a1a1

a1a1a1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes. I would cancel the deal and get my money back until this whole thing shakes out. It could be that Toyota has to do a recall on all its electronic systems or something else. Anyway, the resale value is dropping like a rock, so if you wait you can get a better deal. If you really need the mileage, get a lease right now. The leases are really great offers.

Also, on a more pleasant note, the 2012 Prius, which is coming out in about a year and several months, should have better batteries and a plugin connector so it can be plugged into the wall. Also, the electric motor will not be speed limited to 20mph as it is today, so you can drive for distances on full electric power. Plus, you will get better safety features in the 2012 like the brake override of the accelerator.

I would definitely not purchase a Prius right now. On the other hand, I am thinking of getting a Tacoma truck, but only one with a stick shift. Toyotas and computer controlled automatic transmissions are not a good mix lately.

17. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I spent a great deal of time studing the hybrid synergy drive before I bought mine last November. I even took a special auto class "Introduction to Hybrid Systems" to learn all three hybrid technologies available on the Toyota, Honda & GM. In total, I prepared myself for over 10 months for my purchase of the 2010 Prius. Today, I have no regrets for making this decision. But if you feel uncomfortable, even at 10% level, then it may not be right for you now. However, when the cloud is cleared, you may regret it. I heard the ABC news says the oil price is going up this summer to about $3/gal again.

18. emPG

emPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We bought our 2010 in late September and paid full price and I have no regrets. My only regret right now is that I cannot run out and buy a second one with all the great deals out there. I love driving it and I am not fearful. I am however careful and educated on ways to stop if necessary.

19. leeb18c

leeb18c Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think there'll be better deals in weeks to come with all this publicity. However, it'll be hard to catch the bottom, like trying to catch the stock market bottom. If you like it buy it and enjoy it. Good luck with your decision.

20. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't buy a Prius, they're dangerous cars. As a matter of fact all cars are dangerous in the right hands, so don't buy any!

Get a better deal, and use the current "hype" to get the dealer to knock some more $$ off the price. I can't think of a better car to buy at this time... especially with the deals that are now offered!

Any car can have a glitch now and then. No car is perfect. Just make sure you learn all the ways to safely stop this car. I've tried the emergency procedure on my Prius and it works. No drama.

Also, read your Prius manual. It has a lot of useful information. If you learn your car's systems well, you will be a much safer driver and have much less chance of becoming a casualty. Plus, I think it's got to be really embarrassing to have to call 911 to get vehicle operation instructions.