1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Picking up our prius C Two tomorrow evening. Any Filter or oil recommendations?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hoarybat, Jul 8, 2012.

1. hoarybat

hoarybat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I am considering using Mobil1 0W-20 (the one that says for Honda and Toyota on the label) for my first oil change since 0W-20 is recommended for the C. Can you guys recommend a good readily available filter that is equivalent to the original toyota filter? Or do you suggest I get an extra filter @ the toyota dealership when I get the car. I know they recommend up to 10K miles before first change but I am concerned about the brake in period potential mental particles etc. in the oil so I want to do the first one at 1500-2000 miles. Thank you I think we're gonna love this car!

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    First, welcome to Prius Chat and congratulations on your new purchase.

I have always used the Toyota filter. Their prices are reasonable at the parts department.

3. hoarybat

hoarybat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ok will pick up a couple while there! Thanks!

4. SoGalinSoCal

SoGalinSoCal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just went to my New Owner's workshop at the dealership and they said that all the Prii (as well as most of the new Toyotas) require synthetic oil. They specificially told us that Prius cars require the synthetic and that they had frequent new owners bring in their Prii with engine warnings after putting in anything different. I don't know if this is just them selling us on something else... but they did cite something about the other blends being too thick.

5. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you plan on keeping the car a long time, want to change oil more frequently than 10k or have another car or friend that uses the same OEM filter, you can buy a case of 10 OEM filters for $40.

6. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
  7. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The orignal oil might have break in additives and after testing the oil at 5k it still looks very good on the orignal oil. I posted the oil lab report here Blackstone Labs 5k mile oil report (Factory Oil) | PriusChat

I would run the Toyota 0/20w not the M1. Also after the free changes im going to the k&n/m1 oil filter for better filtering media.

8. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    From a related bobistheoilguy.com thread:

9. eldersciii

eldersciii C3PO

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm changing mine at 1500 miles as well as using Toyota TRD oil filter and Toyota 0w20 full synthetic which is made by Mobil 1 but is actually endorsed by Toyota instead of just saying "sutible for Toyota" on the bottle.

10. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I'm using a Toyota filter too, but am going to use Mobil 1 0W20 AFE.

11. cinder

cinder Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd wait to at least 4,500 miles before dumping the factory fill . Reason is the use of the factory fill oil is less thanks to the electric motor , figure around 3,000 miles on the oil . The Toyota oil is of good quality and the 90915-YZZF2 oil filter as well .

12. dellrio

dellrio Im pretty much awesome

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Technology has improved substantially over the years. There is no reason to change the oil before the recommended 10K interval, in fact it may slow the break in if you change it too soon. I put 60k miles on my 2010 and changed the oil only at 10k intervals. The first 3 changes were included with the purchase, the next 3 I used the M1 0w20 and the Toyota oil filter.

13. hoarybat

hoarybat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks guys ok I will wait a little longer/miles to do my first change and I picked up the filter at dealership for $8 not cheap but worth it I guess. QUESTION: Does the C have a cabin filter as well? If so is it behind the glove compartment like the other prius's? Thanks lovin the PRIUS C. Had 16 mile hypermile stint last night at 70MPG in ECO mode averaging around 30-35 mph. WOW what a car!

14. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Yes it does, right where you said it would be. It is discussed in the manual.

15. hoarybat

hoarybat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I just read that 1. MOBIL1/ K&N M1 oil filter for Prius C's or in general are the same except for a nut on the end of the K & N filters which makes them easier to change? with the K&N costing 1$ or so more.

16. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I bought the Toyota filters from my dealer for $4.50 apiece.

17. hoarybat

hoarybat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That C manual is the heaviest car manual I have ever owned. SUch a technical little car! LOL I paid too much for the filter then oh well.