1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Picking up the car tomorrow, is there anything I should pay particular attention to?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mooney, Mar 12, 2007.

1. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was just wondering if there's anything special I should make sure I check, etc...

Thanks all!

2. Skynight

Skynight New Member

MIDDLESBORO, KY (SE KY, WHERE KY, TN., AND VA. MEE
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mooney @ Mar 11 2007, 11:43 PM) [snapback]404039[/snapback]</div>

Take your time and check for damage, inside and out. I mean, reallllly check for damage. I have heard many horror stories about something found days later, and the dealer is hesitant to fix it. I am sure many others will give you many more ideas.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Make sure you get two fobs.

Do a search for Checklist and I think you'll find a few more hints of what to look for.

4. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 12 2007, 02:16 AM) [snapback]404087[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly, there used to be some checklists posted here on what to look for, and what to ask for when you pick up your Prius. I'm sorry, but I can't post a link right now, but do the search as Bill suggested, here or at priusonline.com and you'll find it.

Most of all, don't forget to watch the road, not the display screen, and Enjoy!!!! :lol: :lol:

5. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    look at the roof and hood for any minor deflections or bird dropping stains - I had an indentation on my roof (near the driver side door) that I am not sure how it got there.

check the mileage on the odometer to make sure it matches to the mileage on the sales ticket - this affects when your warranty runs out.

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 11 2007, 11:16 PM) [snapback]404087[/snapback]</div>
    DEFINITELY go with a checklist. (THIS appears to be a tad old, but the best I could find on a quick search, and was still valid for my '06--do not know if there's more stuff for the '07.)

VERY VERY VERY important--if the salesperson does not spend a LOT of time with you, going over most of this stuff, and/or appears glib--DO NOT BELIEVE HIM/HER if/when you are told, in no uncertain terms, oh, of course this car can/cannot do that. WAY too many of the sellers DO NOT KNOW. If it sounds off, it likely is. Best bet--go in with a couple of obscure-ish things you've picked up here, make like you don't know from nothing, and ask. Judge the seller by what YOU know.

Remember..."I don't know but I can find out for you" is a MUCH better answer than a fake.

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: Much good advice already posted. Try to find that "delivery checklist."

My comments: Don't allow the excitement of taking delivery of your BRAND SPANKING NEW Pirus prevent a thorough check of the car. Take your time. Go down the Window Sticker list to be sure all the Package items and Option items are actually there. Take a good test drive and note any problems you observe - like steering alignment. You do have 12 months/12K miles for 'adjustments' at no cost to you.

Avoid the Finance Manager selling you high cost/low value options such as 'Tire road hazard insurance' - 'Extended Warranty' - 'Prepaid maintenance' etc. - - Just say "NO!" You can buy the Extended Warranty here at about half the price a dealer would charge you.

Although I had 'made up my mind' to do a thorough point by point inspection of my 2007 Touring Edition Package 6 + Option A {Extra Mile Package A} + Option P4 {Vehicle Shield Package}, in the excitement I missed MudGuards {Included in Package A}. What irritated me is when I returned to claim items out of my trade-in {2004 Prius} and mentioned the MudGuards, it became obvious that the salesman had been aware of the omission {didn't even look at the new Prius when I went back} and he didn't mention it to me during the check ride. It took them 3 weeks to get and install them. Small item, but irritating.

YOU'RE GONNA LOVE YOUR NEW PRIUS..!! :D

8. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Mar 12 2007, 08:13 AM) [snapback]404125[/snapback]</div>
    This is easier said than done!!! I find that I'm becoming completely obsessed with MPG! I mean, I used to be bad in my old Jetta TDI, but it didn't have a display like this!

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Easy to miss, but there's a shelf in the upper glove box. If it isn't in right, it can vibrate and make you think there's a problem.

10. rangermike

rangermike New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Mar 12 2007, 07:32 PM) [snapback]404473[/snapback]</div>
    LOL, we missed this one too. We had it in backwards, and we were like "what in the hell is that noise?"

We put some of that non-skid stuff you see in kitchen cabinets on the shelf. It's perfect for those small items (like your cell phone for the B.T.), and they won't slip around.

11. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    First users often find the display distracting. You might want to turn it off at the beginning.

12. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is geared toward your first Prius days:

Don't freak out if you get "only" ~40-45 MPG during your first tank of gas. This is very typical of a brand new Prius. After the car breaks in and you learn to drive it, then you can expect the 50-60MPG tanks people report (depending on where you live - terrain and weather matter.)

Don't forget to gas up when you reach the last 1-2 pips on your gas gauge. If the MFD says "add fuel", then definitely find a gas station ASAP. Every week we get someone reporting that they ran out of gas - it's not the fault of the car, it's the driver.

Don't be surprised if you can only fit 8-10 gals of gas in there, even though the manual says it's 12gals. It's ok - the car will still take you 400-500 miles on that tank

Keep reading these forums, there's lots of good info here! :D Enjoy your new car.

13. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't jump to purchase the dealer offered extended warranty. You can shop to find it cheaper at other dealers and PC may still be offering the warranty here.