1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pics and reviews of my daily driver build mods

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by v35, Mar 31, 2011.

1. v35

v35 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone, new here on the forum. Just picked up a 2011 Prius II three weeks ago to offset the high gas prices. I never leave any of my cars stock so found Priuschat to get ideas for some mods. Surprised to see so many of you modding the Prius :rockon: Anyway, I didn't want to go too crazy (i.e. lowering/wheels) since my other cars are all lowered and I didn't want to deal with that on my daily driver. Just did subtle mods to help me enjoy driving the Prius daily.

First thing I did the morning after picking the car up was to tint the windows. Prius has HUGE windows and a lot of heat was getting in. I went with 35% all around with 3M tint. Didn't want it too dark. Also had the visor done on the windshield.
    [​IMG]
    Next thing I did was pull off the hideous hubcaps to find the sporty looking OEM wheels under. I ordered OEM Yaris Center caps on ebay from Thailand, and they snapped on just perfectly.
    [​IMG]
    Then I got the HIC USA window deflectors. Lets me roll the windows down in the rain to get some fresh air in. I also did the "DIY Lip" using garage door lining from Home Depot
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also changed out the background on the toyota emblems from black/blue to red.
    [​IMG]
    Finally, I changed out the headlights to 6000K HID's. I got the HIDextra slim black H11 kit with the relay and did it myself (1 hour) using threads I found here. While I was in there I switched out the Parking Light to the SuperBrightLED white Festoon bulb. The HIDextra kit works great, was inexpensive and the cutout looks sharp. Only thing I didn't like was that the 6000K looks a lot bluer than the 6000K on my 911. It looks more like 8000K. I would probably go with 5000K next time around.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also got the Priuschat OEM style fog light kit. I wrapped the lens in yellow lamin-x to prevent rock chips, and also replaced the stock bulb with a Luminics H11 JDM yellow bulb to contrast with the 6000k HID and to provide some better lighting. I had the fog light kit installed by a local shop in about an hour. Only gripe with the fog lights is that they're aimed a bit high for fog lights, but the overall quality and build is great and really feels OEM-like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it for this car, just going to enjoy the MPG now. This forum has a great wealth of knowledge, you just have to learn how to use the search button. I did all the mods myself with the exception of the fogs which looks like an easy DIY, just didn't want to deal with it.

1 person likes this.
  2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks good. Lowering the Prius even as your dd isn't that bad. You probably won't notice since the ride is floaty already. What did you use for the red emblem background?

3. v35

v35 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I do lower it I will go with the Tanabe Springs that offer the least amount of drop, just to get rid of some body roll and that unsettling "floaty" feeling. The front bumper is so low at stock height and I don't like/want to scrape it. For the red emblem, I searched dark red vinyl sheet from seller alohastickers. I went with dark red because regular red is a bit too bright and not subtle enough.

4. brozroy

brozroy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you have bentley,h2, porsche in garage? wow

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah the front end is rather low but the wheel gap is notoriously bad.

Just FYI -Hasepro from Japan sells carbon fiber sheets and even precut cf sheets in red for the emblem FYI. Im not sure how deep the red is on theirs (since it's red carbon fiber) but you did a great job on yours.

6. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    v35, good looking ride with the mods and welcome to the forum.

7. ncfishboy

ncfishboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks good. I have a question about the window deflectors, how are they installed?

8. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nice mods and welcome to PC

9. ePrius

ePrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sweet setup and garage!!!

10. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nice stable!

1 person likes this.
  11. airgas1998

airgas1998 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    typical look at me socal.....had to make sure garage pics of his toys were included. just curious why buy a prius now, it can't be the fuel savings. something tells me your not hurting in the money dept.

2 people like this.
  12. v35

v35 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, the HIC USA deflectors simply tape onto the window pillars. They come with the double sided tape already attached. Just make sure you get it right because the tape is so strong that it's hard to pull them off to start over again. Very easy and clean install. I prefer them over the "in-channel" deflectors that have to be clipped under the door/window because these don't whistle or make any noise at all.

13. BocaChaser

BocaChaser New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    sweet prius.....can we some pics of the others cars....I think I spotted at 996 + 997 Porsche, H2, a CL, X5, another prius, and a bently GT?

14. v35

v35 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the welcomes, this forum is a gem for the Prius, lots of good information here!

Toys are just that, toys. I have quite a commute daily and it made more economical sense to use the Prius solely for that purpose, and I love it so far. It's low key, has Toyota reliability and the added MPG is a relief. I'm going green.:cool:

Hey Boca, you know your cars..South FL has it's share of nice cars. The B is actually a Flying Spur. Haven't taken any pics of all of them but I may post one later if you'd like.

15. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You didn't mention that you bought the Prius PHEV (see the cord in the photo)!

16. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm glad you went eco-green with the Hummer.

It's too bad you are also bent on destroying the environment with your Prius.

17. v35

v35 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hahaha no no, that is the hose. I literally just finished washing/detailing the Prius hence the open garage. I didn't realize that there was an available PHEV Prius, at least I wasn't informed of one at the dealership, but I heard there are conversions out there.

18. javilesi

javilesi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    how did you manage to get the back emblem off and back on again? thanks (nice lights!!!)

19. v35

v35 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Get a credit card, American Express and Visa both work fine, and slide it under the emblem from the bottom. After you get the card under the badge, Slide it up towards the upper right or left hand corner ( There is a tab on both sides) and push the card in while carefully prying the emblem out towards you. The emblem should eventually pop off. It's easy but it takes time to find the right angle.Mess around enough with it and itll pop off. Here's a thread with further instructions if needed. To put the emblem back on, simply pop it back in till you hear the two tabs 'click'.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...cations/63269-poor-mans-toyota-badge-mod.html

20. ncfishboy

ncfishboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I saw the post "poor man's toyota badge mod" but in my search I never found any info on the vinyl that you used. Where could I get something like that, or what is the name of the material used?