1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pics from my salmon fishing trip...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by F8L, Jun 13, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I decided to head up to the Feather River near Oroville, CA. to see if the late spring run or early fall run Chinook were biting (I do't bead fish, IE snag them).

I didn't catch any although they were all over the place. I did take the time to try and get some new pics despite it being noon and not the greatest lighting for taking pics. So quality is low but I got a great shot depsite being rushed and bad timing. lol Enjoy

[​IMG]

My favorite! I had about 5sec to snap the shot after he buzzed me while taking shots of a different flower. The thing was HUGE too! About the size of a peanut still in the shell!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Few more :)

Bad shot but gives an idea of what it looks like where I was at.
    [​IMG]

Osprey Chicks on the nest. I didn't stay long to disturb them.
    [​IMG]

Took the Prius on the gravel roads, some not so smooth and tons of holes.
    [​IMG]

Underside view of the flowers that edge the pond in the first pic in this post.
    [​IMG]

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #4 is your best shot here...nicely done image of a common subject.
    #5 I'd love if you'd had the cat's tail in focus...background in or out of focus probably wouldn't matter much.
    #1 is pretty but not really a grabber.
    #2 could have been good but you need some fill light on the bee...he gets lost in the shadow.

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 13 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]461049[/snapback]</div>

As always thank you Evan. I honestly try to remember all of your advice when I decide to snap photos. In all but the car and Osprey pics I was casting and would notice something then drop my rod and pull my camera out of my pocket. lol

#5 I wasn't sure the pics were set up right so I didn't try for this one much. I thought it was too common and no one would like it. I'll try for some with better lighting and your advice.

#2 Do you think forcing a flash would have helped? I had the camera on auto and didn't have much time to change anything.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, you needed either a reflector (preferable since the light color will be better) or fill flash...and you have to program the camera to do that since it sees lots of light and thinks it isn't needed...

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

They all look pretty damn good compared to mine.LOL
    #2 looks best to me , that up close and personal sorta feel with the bee

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 13 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]461096[/snapback]</div>
    Someone mentioned a portable small reflector once. I need to see if I can source a cheap one that I can keep in my car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jun 13 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]461108[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. :) He scared the heck out of me at first because he bounced off my head before landing on the flowers less than a foot from my shoulder. He made Bumble Bees look small. :)

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a great little reflector, silver on one side, gold on the other about 12" unfolded and 3" folded (one of those metal springs around the outside) weighs nothing and fits in the camera bag, pocket, whatever. Very handy, esp. if you have someone to hold it for you while you shoot.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 13 2007, 02:13 PM) [snapback]461121[/snapback]</div>
    I would assume most decent camera shops can get something like this?

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Jun 13 2007, 04:15 PM) [snapback]461124[/snapback]</div>
    I think so, if this thread is still active when I get home I'll get you the name on mine...seems like I had to order it from somewhere, but it's been 10 years or so...and the old man's memory's going.... :blink:

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://www.photoflex.com/Photoflex_Product...lver/index.html
    You should be able to order these from B&H, maybe find at a local photo shop (somewhere that supplies pros, not one that caters to amatures). If you look around at the link I provided you'll find lots of stuff. I have a 12" Soft gold/white reflector and a white translucent diffuser. The diffuser is nice to soften harsh noon sunlight for close-ups, the reflector to add natural fill (warm or natural)...I linked to the gold/silver...the silver will reflect more light, but I don't like the quality of light as well with the silver.