1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pics from Point Reyes - enviro-based so no Prius

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by F8L, Mar 6, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I took these on my lil Nikon CoolPix S4 cheapo camera. :)

Point Reyes is an incredible place and the only National Seashore we have on the west coast.

Cupressus macrocarpa (Monterey Cypress, Macrocarpa)
    [​IMG]

Lady Beetle and California Poppy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rechelle on her tip toes
    [​IMG]

Redwing Blackbird who would not stand still.
    [​IMG]

Rechelle in deep reflection
    [​IMG]

The Point Reyes point of view...
    [​IMG]

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe an el cheapo camera, but you've a nice eye for photography. Do you shoot something better most of the time?

3. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great pictures, F8L! I'll echo Evan's comment that you've got a great eye. Thanks for sharing!!

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you guys. :)

This is my only camera. I wanted to buy a good one like the SLR style units but I just couldn't afford it. I ended up with this one for $275 online because it has a nice 10x optical zoom which comes in handy for the animal shots.

Maybe once I get my major classes out of the way I'll take a photography class. I really enjoy the feeling you get when you capture a moment perfectly. I get all giddy. LOL

I give the credit to the beautiful scenery. It was so perfect I think a child could have taken great pics. :D

I learned a lot after I took the camera on the White Mountain trip last year. I got a couple decent shots out of it. If you are interested here is a video slide show I made. White Mountain/Sierra Nevada Alpine Ecology Trip

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Mar 6 2007, 08:49 AM) [snapback]400838[/snapback]</div>
    A photography class is probably a good idea if you can get credit for it. You definately have some things to learn about exposure control and reading light, but you also seem to have the gift of a good eye. Your framing on the 'tip-toes' shot is very nice and not something I usually see out of casual snap shot photographers. I don't have the gift of an 'eye' for photography and am dependent upon mimicking others and taking a more mechanical approach to my photography. This doesn't stop me from taking some decent photos, but I don't have the natural ability. You seem to have some natural ability that needs to be polished with a better understanding of how to take advantage of light, depth of field control, and exposure control. There's no reason your current camera can't take you a long way toward that (assuming it has manual override for exposure and focus?). Once you've got a good understanding of that stuff you will be better equipt to select and purchase an appropriate SLR...but there's no rush...IMO it's better to learn to work with the tools you have first and once you've found the limits of those tools then you can move on to what you know you need.
    http://flickr.com/photos/efusco/sets/
    http://pbase.com/efusco

6. Ormond

Ormond New Member

I enjoyed the photos too. Thanks for sharing them with us. :)

[​IMG]

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have to echo Evan's sentiment here. your shot compositions are excellent. i also take good pix, but i do it by serendipity. i simply take thousands, and hope for a half dozen good ones. but that is the beauty of digital.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Ormond and Dave :)

Evan, those are amazing pics. The vacation pics are so vibrant!

Dave, I need to get into the habit of taking more shots of the same object. On average I take about 2-3 per object but I need to remember that with digital the only thing I wase by taking 15 shots per object is time. LOL

9. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

F8L, nice photos. Since Pt. Reyes is in my backyard, allow me to make some recommendations for your next visit. The Whales will soon make their northern migration and can be viewed from the lighthouse and sometimes they come very near shore on North and South Beachs. You can see elephant seals pupping and then go for a great wildflower hike by driving to the life-saving station parking there, and proceeding on the trail to Chimney Rock. My friend and neighbor wrote a book called Pt. Reyes Secret Places which you can buy at the visitors center. One of my favorite places he talks about is 'secret beach' which is only accessible at low tide by walking along an underwater ledge through a cave. He once led a bunch of us on a 3 day hike from the Golden Gate Bridge all the way to the lighthouse. On a clear day be sure to drive up to the top of Mt. Tamalpias for a stunning 360 degree view of the bay. Swimming is always iffy not only because of the cold water but because of the great whites. I once came across a sea lion cleanly bitten in half, big around as a fat person, having been washed up on the beach. One of my favorite hikes is to go to Palomarin Trailhead and hike to Alamere Falls, a beautiful waterfall which falls directly onto Wildcat beach. In my younger days I once was cliff climbing directly above the ocean and got 'stuck' and was contemplating dropping into the ocean and swimming back to the beach when a seal came along and started barking at me and swimming back and forth in one particular direction 'showing' me the way to proceed. In the spring Mt. Wittenberg is carpeted in wildflowers. Estero Trailhead is rarely used and leads eventually to the mouth of Drake's Estero where you can sit on the cliffs and look down on giant rays gliding around and tiger sharks rolling on their backs against the sand to clean off their backs. Their silver bellies glisten in the sunlight. The walk there is through pastures covered with so many wildflowers that you feel absolutely sinful treading on them but there is no other choice. A cheap place to stay is at the youth hostel near Limantour Beach, or if you feel flush there are numerous B&Bs nearby. Bring your camera and enjoy!

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Mar 9 2007, 09:53 AM) [snapback]402875[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the great info! I'm going back soon for sure!

I've been there 3 times on field trips (last year) with the college and I took my little sister there recently but it's amazing at how much you miss each time yet still come home with a wealth of knowledge and amazing feelings. :)

I knew about some of the above mentioned activities but many are new and now I can't wait to go back! Thanks a million!