1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pics of Canoe on Prius w/front&rear tow hitch tie down points

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by fastring, Jul 25, 2010.

1. fastring

fastring Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Here's some pics of a canoe with my rack setup. I have a drill holes in the roof Yakima (EV Nuts type, I take no credit, I took his idea) and then some quick metal things I welded up for the front and rear tow hitches. Held the boat fine and no paint/rope rub on the bumpers.

I enjoyed being able to remove everything as I rented the canoe up there (Wyoming, Grand Teton NP) so that the 2000+ mile drive was without roofrack (yakima and welded things were inside the car).

I did drive 200 miles in a weekend with two kayaks on top with this setup, held them solid.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What MPG did you get and how much hit did it take?

3. fastring

fastring Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    On the trip to Wyoming (from San Diego), we removed the rack and kept all parts of the rack inside and rented the canoe up there (Wyomin).

I was surprised how much of a hit the rack does. I've had the car two years and 70k miles and record my MPGs but havent gone back to average it out. From a swag, I'd guess that my normal average is 50, maybe 51ish. Same conditions with the roofrack brought me down to 42-44. I would not have guessed that. I bike alot and although my bikes fit inside, its nice just throwing them up on the top rack. I have a rear rack but that is also a mpg hit and I am worried about being rear ended (happened twice since I have owned the car). I dont want $4k of bikes to get smushed. Anyhow, I now drive with the rack off but in the back of the car. Its very quick to install.

1 person likes this.
  4. fastring

fastring Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    One more:

When doing the 200 miles with 2 seakayaks up top, I was at 40, but alot of city driving in that. On the freeway at 70, I'd guess I would be in the low 30s. I drove SD to San Fran with a longboard and bike on the roof and headwinds and was in the very low 30s, I actually recorded 29 once on that trip, which is my Prius worst ever.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's still batter than a lot of cars and none of them can fit that canoe inside.

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  7. spinsession

spinsession Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I realize that this is an old thread, but I'll ask in case you're still monitoring replies... Is that front receiver hitch something that you fabricated, or is that a commercial product that can be purchased somewhere? If so, who makes it?