1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pics of Hurricane Charley

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Aug 21, 2004.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    here is a website a friend of mine (now homeless btw) who lives in Fl sent me. the destruction is amazing.

i must admit, although we had a huge amount of structural damage in the Olympia area during the Nisqually Quake, thankfully only a few residences were affected.

these pics are archive photos from a radio show's traffic reports.

http://www.schnittshow.com/hurricanecharley2004.html

the randomness of destrcution especially in the mobile home park is a wonder in itself. pics have some homes scattered over a half mile while others sit nearly untouched.

2. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The pictures are incredible. Having lived through major earthquakes, I have seen destruction up close. The randomness you mention is so strange. I'm sure it makes people wonder why their house is gone while someone else's is still standing. At least with a hurricane you have some warning.

I hope your friend finds suitable housing soon.

Jeff

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I went through a minor Hurricane in Portland in 62. It was very scary and made a permanent impression on me. Been through earthquakes including the recent one in Washington in 01. Do not wish either on anyone, but I have to say that the Hurricane was worse as it went on and on. Stopped and started again. I would not willing do that again. If someone said go I would go.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    they have relatives in areas that werent damaged so they will be fine. (that and the fact that he makes a very good living)

what gets me is the lack of insurance coverage available for this kind of disaster. he will end up with about $50,000(out of an estimated $150,000) for his personal belongings and his mortage insurance will take care of what he owes on the house, but he will get nothing for the equity he has. so if not counting the house, he will start about $100K in the hole, hoping for a low interest government financing on another residence. (because of his income, he thinks he might have a problem getting this though)

here is a good pic on the randomness of destruction.
    what you are looking at was the fire station where the hurricane just took out the middle of the building between the side wall supports. obviously to be able to park large fire trucks inside, no center supports were in the building and the hurricane took full advantage of that

http://priuschat.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=793