1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pics of my new 17" Scion rims and tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by blzlovr, Apr 11, 2007.

1. blzlovr

blzlovr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are some pics of my new tires and wheels. I bought Chrome Scion tC 17" wheels from eBay for $281.50. I bought General Exclaim UHP 215/45ZR-17 18lb. tires from America's Tire Store, price of $390.28 including mounting, balancing, lifetime rotations, and transferring TPMS. So far I like the handling and looks. They are somewhat noisier than stock, maybe they will quiet down after a break in period. I just got them so I won't know the mileage hit for awhile.

Attached Files:

2. hwalker911

hwalker911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow, they really look great...Good job!

3. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think they look great-but be prepared for a 4 MPG hit due to the extra weight, and maybe even more since chroming adds additional weight to the rim. But it is a good looking wheel. I would expect the tires to get louder as they wear, not quieter.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Apr 11 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]421433[/snapback]</div>
    I'll do that wheel mod in a heartbeat too ! ! ! (as long as I can occasionally do over 60mpg). And you don't even have license plates yet? That's a quick mod.

5. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You seem very proud of your purchase!
    Different strokes for different folks.

I just don't "get" why peeps buy something brand new....... and then immediately spend more money to change what they just purchased. :blink:
    Guess I don't really care about what my tires and rims "look like".
    I spend my time inside the car ........not outside the car looking at it.
    I'm still wearing and paying for the original rims and tires that I purchased back in March of 2005.

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bshef @ Apr 11 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]421466[/snapback]</div>
    Some people are just happy with the product right out of the box. Others, like myself, like to upgrade things. Some people like their car to have a unique look, while others, like to modify the performance or electronics aspects. Sometimes, I wish I could just be happy with what I have... nah, there's always a way to make it better :)

7. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your new wheels and tires look GREAT!!! :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blzlovr @ Apr 11 2007, 04:07 AM) [snapback]421384[/snapback]</div>

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks great!

Keep us informed on the milage hit. I have often contemplated taking my aftermarket wheels off for commuting but doing the calculations I really don't save much so I just keep em on and enjoy all the compliments I get from people who say they never thought they would like looks of a Prius but the tinted windows and wheels completely changed the look for them. :)

9. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Today I received and installed my new set of polished Scion rims with the same sized tires, but mine are Nexen N3000's and I immediately scored in three big ways.
    1. The car handles much better and rides flatter and less "bouncy"
    2. I now have an extra set of rims in which to dump the old tires and put a pair of decent snow tires on for the winter months.
    3. I looks substantially better.

I love mine thus far and congratulate you on your wise and stylin' purchase as well.

Robin

10. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bshef @ Apr 11 2007, 11:01 PM) [snapback]421466[/snapback]</div>
    I kept the OEM Integrity tires for 30k miles; I was never really happy with them but wasn't sure what else would work better and I didn't think it was good environmental practice to junk tires that still had useable life in them. After three years, I felt it was time. As one other poster mentioned, the reason for swapping OEM items may not be purely cosemetic, as in the case of tires. My new ComforTreads are much quieter and handle better than the originals, but look virtually the same; no cosemtics here, just better and safer performance.

11. mtm

mtm New Member

I called america's tires in Sacramento and they wanted $514! $104/tire and rest in mounting/balancing.
    Can someone verify the price... I am going to call another store tomorrow!

Thanks

12. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its Really HOT looking. We like your choice, both from me and my wife. We kind of regret not getting 17" wheels (got 16" instead) because the tire house was
    concerned with the extra stress on the CVT and the whole shinola. Using his expertise in tires I chose to
    be safe with 16", since thats the size of the touring vehicle. Enclose is picture of our Montegi 16":

[attachmentid=9108]

Attached Files:

13. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bshef @ Apr 11 2007, 08:01 AM) [snapback]421466[/snapback]</div>
    You hit it right on the bulls-eye, regarding strokes and folks...
    To me, wheels on a car is analogous to:
    1. beautiful legs on a beautiful woman
    2. beautiful teeth on a good looking face
    3. Well dressed person for a job interview

What I am trying to say is: 1st sight means a lot and Mr 17"Scion rims and tires has done it right.

14. blzlovr

blzlovr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mtm @ Jun 21 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]466212[/snapback]</div>
    I checked prices online with www.americastire.com first and then went to a local store with my online quote. I bought mine 4/9/07 and this is the breakdown:

4 215/45Z-17 87W BSW General Exclaim UHP 88.00 x 4 = 352.00
    4 Environmental Fee 1.75 x 4 = 7.00
    4 Installation includes TPMS tranfer, valves, balancing, rotations, lifetime repairs
    11.00 x 4 = 44.00
    Tax = 27.28

Total paid was 430.28 plus received a 40.00 rebate.

Sherril

15. mtm

mtm New Member

Thanks for the break down!

I got them to go $96/each so price they gave me was $483.xx - $40 rebate and going to have to refund $10 waste disposal fee since I am not leaving them any tires. Hope to get a final price of $433!

Wonder why the price difference?

Thanks again
    JON

16. blzlovr

blzlovr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mtm @ Jul 3 2007, 03:09 PM) [snapback]472542[/snapback]</div>
    Jon,
    I went on-line first and got a quote. Actually, I think it was for a different tire size and they didn't have it and were going to have to order them. I called them back and asked for a different size and maybe they matched the price of the other tire? Not sure why there is a difference.

Sherril

17. TurkeyButt

TurkeyButt New Member

I likey...

Very NICE!!

18. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    blzlvr, I like how those rims look, they almost look stock for a 'sport' model or something. I bet they would look good on a Super White Prius. Those are the same rims I saw on a Prius on Ebay, should have bought them when I had the chance o-well.

19. wbuttler

wbuttler New Member

looks excellent
    good luck with them

Froley