1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pics of my XM Pioneer Inno and Scangauge install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by priusFTW, May 6, 2007.

1. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey everyone, here are some pics of my XM Inno install. I have a Vais SLI in my glove box that I have hooked to the rear of the Head Unit. I have my iPod connected to it and store it in the lower glove box. I hooked my Inno to the Aux In jacks on the Vais SLI. I installed the XM antenna on the driver side front dash. I tested my reception numerous times by placing antenna temporarily on the outside roof near the FM antenna then to the drivers side then the passenger side. I didn't notice any reception difference from where I decided to put it. The scangauge was installed in the lower compartment below the HU. I drilled a small hole and ran the wires for it behind the plastic piece beneath the radio. As for the audio and antenna wires, I fished them behind the plastic piece beneath the radio and then fished them under the carpet. I removed the center console in order to fish the wire. It was really super easy to do. I have an XM home dock and one in my office too, so I can transport my Inno and have XM wherever I go, with just one subscription! Oh and XM ROCKS! Here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can I suggest running that INNO cable through the inside of the cup holder and into the center arm rest....that should prevent it from getting snagged and should look a lot better.

At some point you may want to run that antenna to the back of the car and get a Shark-Fin antenna so it's install will be invisible too.

3. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 6 2007, 04:38 PM) [snapback]436483[/snapback]</div>

I suppose i could do that with the inno wire. As it stands now there is nothing to snag, it is pretty well tucked but I will consider it. As for the antenna wire, after much thought, I don't want it on the outside roof, my reception is no better or worse from where it is now, believe me I tested placing it in various locations outside and inside over a period of a week. I finally decided I don't want any chance to have some punk kid come up and clip my antenna wire for laughs. Plus I don't want any chance of water leaks or scratchs to the paint. The antenna stays where it is.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With the Shark-fin install the antenna wire only exits the roof through the spot where your whip antenna is and then it's hidden and completely invisible under the shark fin. Here's a picture of mine:

[​IMG]

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 6 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]436490[/snapback]</div>
    Say Evan, Hows the xm reception with the sat. ant. under the fin?

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ May 6 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]436492[/snapback]</div>
    Fine...I think it's slightly reduced at some areas where it was marginal before, but I certainly don't experience any unexpected drop outs.

7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Lookin' good, FTW! I really like what you've done with the antenna. ;)

8. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ May 6 2007, 06:32 PM) [snapback]436514[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, I found for the best reception, as i said i tested this for like a week, was to turn so the tail was facing me and the face of the antenna towards the windshield. I tried the other way, which would have been a cleaner install, but the reception was poorer compared to the way i have it.

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 6 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]436490[/snapback]</div>

Do you have a install guide or any notes on the install of the antenna or roof liner removal?

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ May 6 2007, 08:35 PM) [snapback]436593[/snapback]</div>
    Well here's the link to the original post showing how to install this way:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=15983&st=125#
    You'll notice, unfortunately, that all the step-by-step instructional photos are gone. Perhaps we could hit up Cairo to repost them in a new thread somewhere.

11. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 6 2007, 09:54 PM) [snapback]436603[/snapback]</div>
    What is soooo great about this Inno is that if you are listening to a song that you like, you can record it! Even if you are at a max of 10mins into the song, and hit record, the song will still record from the beginning!
    Absolutely amazing! I am sooo pleased with this Inno. I barely ever even use my iPod anymore lol.

12. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ May 6 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]436579[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for posting the pictures and the information. I was considering a factory kit, but this makes more sense since you can take it with you (plus the record option is a great idea) I have a few questions if you don't mind answering them...

Is this the Inno Car kit you used for the install?

Do you know if one could just use the AUX jack in the center console rather then hook it up to the Head unit through the Vais SLI?

Finally if you did have the Vais SLI could you use the Ipod out connection to get the steering wheel control?

Appreciate any input and thanks again for posting this is a nice alternative to the factory unit..

13. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darken @ May 7 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]436952[/snapback]</div>

Hi Darken!

As I said in my orginal post, I just could not justify purchasing a subscription for the car only, since I typically am only in it 1 hour per day on average, so this solution works PERFECTLY for me. Plus, if I hear a song in the car (or anywhere for that matter as I have recorded many so far)... I can easily record it or even schedule a recording. Here is a typical day : I take my Inno from my home and plug it into the docking bay in the car, and turn it on. I now have XM in my car, DIRECTLY thru my car speakers. Drive to work, remove Inno from car and go to my office. Plug it into the dock i have setup in my office. Turn on my computer, I now have XM in my office. When I leave, I take the Inno with me, plug into car, then back to the dock at home, where I have a few of them in different rooms. I also purchased a boombox that the Inno plugs into other rooms where there is no dock setup. It works out PERFECTLY for me, and I am very happy and that is what counts, lol.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes I purchased the car and 3 home kits ( 1 for work, 2 for home). For the car kit I did not use the cassette adapter, since I am going directly aux in on my Vais SLI. You could however plug it into your aux in jack in your rear console. EXCELLENT SOUND QUALITY sounds like I am playing a CD. I LOVE XM!!!

2) Yes you can simply use the aux in jack. If you do use that and hook up the power cord (also supplied in the car kit) you may notice humming. Simply purchase a ground loop isolator at radio shack and that should clear things up. That is why I used my Vais SLI unit, cause it has the isolator built in to the unit.

3) The iPod in connection on the SLI is ONLY for iPod, as far as I know and will ONLY control a qualifying iPod. The aux in on the SLI is for any other type of unit that can use Aux In, such as other mp3 players or satellite radios etc.

By the way I can use my steering wheel controls to go between iPod and my Inno without disconnecting anything. I have my iPod in my lower glove box which is where my Vais SLI is too. The steering wheel control will control the iPod, but not the Aux In jack, it will control the volume however.

OH btw, I wanted to add, XM shop throws in earphones with satellite antenna in the loop that goes over your head. I use them when I cut my lawn on my tractor, and dock the Inno in my cup holder on my tractor. Works great!! Hey would you say I'm addicted to XM? lol ;-0

14. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ May 7 2007, 02:40 PM) [snapback]436979[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! Thanks much for taking the time to provide all that information. (I think you are addicted to XM by the way :) ) Seems like a great way to get the most for your subscription money, and again its great you mentioned it as I would have never even thought about the portable route as opposed to the integrated factory unit. I got addicted to XM thanks to DirecTV, and have been dying to add it to the car...

Bummer that the Vais SLI won't integrate the Inno with the system like an Ipod....I think since I don't own an Ipod the Aux port would work for me...plus since the Aux and lighter plug are in the console it should make everything easy to route through there.

I have to agree with you on the placement of the antenna...I wouldn't want it on the roof and to route it through the roof under a shark fin seems like an awful lot of work...when it would barely be noticable on the dash...

Have you noticed any reception problems when using it without a dock? I've noticed a fair number of complaints on reception out of the dock.

Thanks again you really have given me (and maybe others) something to think about with this clever device.

Mike

15. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darken @ May 7 2007, 04:15 PM) [snapback]437059[/snapback]</div>
    Well you'll want to use an antenna in the car for sure. Inside my home I have an antenna near my computer which is about 30 ft away from a southern window upstairs and i get 100% reception, but that is in my dock at home. If I am at home inside it is tough to get a reception unless I set up camp with a dock and antenna. If I leave the Inno near a southern window I also get 100% reception. If you live in a city where there are repeaters, I read people having no problem walking around with it in there home. I however don't live in a city so my reception is not as good. I could get a repeater for the home, but I chose not to, since I basically camp the Inno somewhere in a dock with antenna and play it through my stereo system. Lets put it this way, I get more use out of this, then any factory installed satellite raidio for my car alone. I am completely satisfied with my Inno performance.

Here you go, read this link for a review of the Inno: http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=60804...ght=inno+review

16. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Here are step by step (with pictures) of the installation of a satellite antenna under the sharkfin.

I would have posted this link sooner, but I've been busy and away from PC for a while.

17. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ May 8 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]437562[/snapback]</div>
    Well I'm about to eat crow. Where before I said the antenna stays on the dash, I am now mounting it on the roof. I found a spot where I get much better reception, and it is just near the AM/FM antenna.

I am thinking of mounting it there, running the wire either under the boot of the wiring in the hatch, or around the weather seal into the rear cargo area, under the rear seat and then into the center console.

I have seen pics of other antenna with what appears to be a channel to house the wiring on the roof. Does anyone know where I can pick something like that up? I have searched the internet in vain infact I even called XM directly.

Oh, btw to Skywre7, thank you for the link.

18. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ May 8 2007, 01:20 PM) [snapback]437586[/snapback]</div>
    You're welcome. :D

19. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ May 8 2007, 01:20 PM) [snapback]437586[/snapback]</div>
    So I'm assuming they give you a fairly large length of wire to route this antenna with? I guess after seeing Skywre7's pictures it wouldn't be too bad a project to run it through the roof but I sitll would prefer the dash.

As for the channel I was told by another member (BethlehemPrius) it came with the Factory kit...I'll double check my notes and edit this post if I'm wrong on this....

Thanks so much for the info on this device (And thanks Skywre7 for the antenna pics) I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Inno with Best Buy running it for $199 this week. Plus Pioneer is offering rebates on both the Inno and the car kit as well.

20. priusFTW

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darken @ May 8 2007, 02:53 PM) [snapback]437654[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Darken

Yes they give you 21ft wire with the car kit.

Yes that is a good price the rebates with Inno and car kit purchase i think totaled $125. Also, when you subscribe, google XM promo code, you might be able to use it and get 3 month sub free.

Oh and test your locations of the atenna first before deciding on a permanent location.