1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

picture of bike carrier on 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bmaxey, Aug 20, 2006.

1. bmaxey

bmaxey New Member

I am new to this board, and have found it to be a really great way to learn about my new Prius. I am wanting to get a hitch receiver to use with my bike carrier, and have read about Coastal Tech, and it looks like the way to go. But- all the pictures I have found are of it installed on the earlier, sedan model Prius.

Are there any pictures posted anywhere that show a hitch receiver, bike rack, and bikes on a 2006 Prius? I thought I had seen it on a red one, weeks ago, but can't find it now.

Plan is to carry 2 bikes. Within safe limits? Obviously it is ok sitting in my driveway, but going along the highway there is surely more of a load on the system, and I want to make sure I am not stressing anything.

Any other input to help me decide?

Thanks much.

2. gordonr

gordonr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaxeNC @ Aug 20 2006, 09:36 PM) [snapback]306457[/snapback]</div>
    Two bikes on a hitch mount is not a problem. I've done that many times over the past year. Two days ago we did a mostly highway trip with two on the hitch and two on the roof. The payload of my hitch mount carrier plus two bikes is about 85 lbs. Putting more than two on the hitch may not be wise. See the post,

http://priuschat.com/How-Many-Bicycles-Do-...rier-t9326.html

for more info. There is also a picture there of a new generation Prius with a hitch rack.

3. bmaxey

bmaxey New Member

Good to see the picture of the rCoaastal Tech rack on a 2006 Prius. Sounds like good discussion on the previous thread about tongue weight and live load and all that, but that surely is all referring to the stress on the hitch receiver, and the bike rack. I guess I am ok here, especially since others have been ok with 2 bikes, but I still have concerns about the car underside that all of this is bolted on to.

Is your car ok or is there any twisting down under, where it all attaches? I wonder if anyone has added additional support from the top of the bike rack to, say, the top of the hatchback, to relieve some of the torque pressure on the car frame?

Or am I totally over-worrying this thing? (It's a new car. Looks new. smells new. 102 miles on it. I want to do right by it!)

Thanks.

4. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

5. gordonr

gordonr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaxeNC @ Aug 21 2006, 05:38 PM) [snapback]307022[/snapback]</div>
    Been using the Coastal hitch w/ 2 bikes for a year now without any issues. Been over all kinds of roads and bumps while carrying bikes, and the position of the hitch receiver remains unchanged. I've also wondered about the use of supports straps as you mentioned as a way of getting to 4 bikes without issues.

6. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gordonr @ Sep 2 2006, 10:55 PM) [snapback]313373[/snapback]</div>
    I loaded 4 bikes on mine this weekend and proptly removed them. The hitch bent down a little more than with 2, but still within reason. The problem was that with so much weight on the back end, and having it cantilevered that far behind the car, it lowered the back end of the car way to much. The rack now only had 4 inches of road clearance and the wheels looked way to close to the wheel wells. The thing looked to scary to drive. I think I'm going to go with 2 or maybe 3 at the most from now on.