1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pictures of Un-Sold Hummers Stacking Up

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tempus, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  2. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    excellent :)

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OMG, that is fantastic! Thanks for posting it! I'm wondering what part of SoCal that might be....wouldn't it be a surprise to have 'stumbled upon' that hidden treasure trove of unwanted Hummers....over 300 of them!! I'd love to see that in person. It would have been even better if the blog writer was the driver of a Prius. :D

4. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Wow, maybe they should try selling them overseas, or send in the excess to the troops in Iraq for non-off-road duty.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [sarcasm]
    They must really be anticipating an upcoming run on the Hummer market to be stockpiling them like that.
    [/sarcasm]

I dive past a Hummer dealer every day and the scene is much the same. And that's given me an idea.

If you are so inclined, stop by a Hummer dealer and take pictures of the overflow of unwanted Hummers. Post them here. I'll do one either this weekend or next week.

Honestly, I was thinking of parking Priapus in front of a row of Hummers and submitting the picture for the Priuschat calendar but I never got around to doing it.

6. dogtrainer

dogtrainer New Member

The same here but not Hummers, our local Ford dealer sells hundreds of trucks every month, as many diesels as he can get his hands on, Since August his sales are off horribly, He has rows and rows of 250s and 350's as weel as hundreds of 150's. Never has it been like that here. Its unbelievable, same with our GM dealer he owns many different dealerships and is selling them off left and right, he is really hurting..he is the largest use car dealer in the US..........Our gas has come down its $1.94 yesterday and has been for the past week or so but it has not increased sales at all, everyone is afraid gas will go back up again tomorrow when Exxon decides its time to buy new post it notes or something

7. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Btw, a joke my friend made: a sea of H2s. Oh.

But seriously, we only mock because they are the symbol of excess and waste.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha. Ouch. Maybe he should write a letter to the US Army and tell them he has 300 or so Hummers that they could use

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For what? Tartget practice?

I know you were only joking TP. But that's the funny thing about people who buy the H2s and H3s. Some of them actually think that they are purchasing "army cars." Far from it. I think that calling an H3 an "army car" because it's called a Hummer is the equivalent of calling me a scientist based on the fact that I read Scientific American.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i believe the hummer h3 is built on the equinox frame... that or some other midsize gm-built suv.

that's a hilarious story. wonder what will happen to them all? i mean, you can get a lot of refrigerators or stoves out of that much scrap metal... :lol:

11. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Nope.

The H3 is built off the Colorado trucks. Hence the 5-cyclinder engine.

Equinox is a car based SUV.

12. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Maybe Bush could buy them for FEMA, who would then use them to pay off Ninth Ward property owners/refugees from Katrina. Then, after FEMA decides it can't afford to keep so many in hotels any longer, many could then LIVE out of their Hummers (with an out-the-door $100 gas card, good for two tankfuls)...

Oops, wrong forum... :p

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Just a little balance: Did you all catch their followup blog entry a few days later on that site? http://themessthatgreenspanmade.blogspot.c.../11/deluge.html

[snip] "Many of you seem to think that the Hummer piece was investigative journalism when in fact much of it was satire. The pictures are real and the 52% year-over-year drop in Hummer H2 sales is real (see the first link to the Yahoo! News article) - but other elements are inaccurate or complete fabrication"
    [snip]
    "The long and the short of it is, we found a parking lot with Hummers lined up just begging for someone to photograph them and put them on the internet, so we did it."
    [snip]
    "I talked to the sales manager at 1000 Oaks Hummer, Steve Gansert, who says all those Hummers do belong to them. He says the 300 trucks are a normal selling inventory for them, that they only have parking for about a dozen trucks right at the dealership, so lease these local parking lots to store their unsold inventory."
    [snip]

14. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

Rancid,

(doing best Napoleon Dynamite impersonation that I can) That's a sweet avatar. It's AWESOME.

15. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Bigdaddy,

Thanks for pointing that out. You beat me to it.

However, I have a chevy dealership near me and it seems everytime I drive by it, there are more and more cars on the lot. Are they building up for the holidays?, or is the inventory sitting after the great give-away promotions are done.

16. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hummer sales have dropped off in huge numbers throughout 2005 so their contention that 300 is normal inventory seems rather like spin to me. If Hummers were selling well, then 300 may be normal inventory but they're not so 300 is probably more along the lines of a glut. But you know how dealerships feel about telling the truth, especially when the truth ain't so good. :rolleyes:

17. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm curious what you see more often in your daily travels, Prii or Hummers?

There are LOADS of Hummers (H2 seems to be the most popular) around here -- Central/Southern New Jersey. There's even a couple of 'em in my work parking lot. The other popular SUV I'm starting to see more of is the Jeep Commander, which looks suspiciously like a H3.