1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Piece from Dallas Morning News

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by eastercat, Mar 29, 2004.

1. eastercat

eastercat New Member

Note: this guy had to go to NM for his Prius.
    BTW, I've just started looking for a Prius in the
    Dallas, TX area and would appreciate any advice
    from those who found a car in this state.

My own energy policy could be the answer
    If enough of us reduce our consumption, we could change the world
    08:23 AM CDT on Tuesday, April 15, 2003
    By SCOTT BURNS / The Dallas Morning News

There's more to buying a gas/electric hybrid than taking personal responsibility for improving the air I breathe. It's also about economic strength and national security.
    Thirty years ago, living in Boston, I went out to cut firewood to keep my family warm. Neighbors did the same for their families. We did that because the world changed in 1973. The Arab oil embargo resulted in major shortages of home heating oil. There were also long lines at gas stations.
    Since then, all of us have been at the mercy of the Middle East, because it happens to have two-thirds of the world's oil reserves. Thirty years is a long time. I was 32 when this started. I'm 62 now.
    By the late 1970s we were sending so much money to the Middle East – and stock prices were so depressed – that analysts were calculating how many months it would take before Saudi Arabia owned every company on the New York Stock Exchange.

Series of worries
    Since then we've had a series of small, middling and large worries about the supply and price of oil.
    Energy is so important that monthly changes in the consumer price index are reported with and without energy price changes. Food is the only other item given that distinction.
    But the CPI measures only the direct price of energy. The hundreds of billions of dollars we have spent on Middle East oil have financed enormous collections of weapons. The same exported wealth allowed Osama bin Laden to pursue his passion for global terrorism.
    Among the items we don't include in the real cost of energy is the higher cost of defense – the billions spent to secure a continuing supply of oil.
    No, I don't mean to suggest that we went to war with Iraq because it has the world's second-largest pool of oil reserves. I merely suggest that a portion of our defense spending exists to defend our supply of oil.
    But let's get back to personal action. In lieu of a national policy to conserve energy, I'm starting my own. I hope you will join me.
    From now on, I'm going to pay attention to energy consumption. I'm going to work, rather militantly, on ways to reduce it.
    Call me eccentric. Call me weird. I think it will be an interesting hobby. Unlike many hobbies, it will pay for itself.
    If enough of us did it, we could change the stability of the world an iota or two. We might also contribute to preserving, or improving, our standard of living.
    The first step in my personal energy policy was the purchase of a Toyota Prius. The 45-mpg car replaced an 18-mpg car. By my calculation, we'll cut our gasoline purchases by about 500 gallons a year.

Bigger saving
    That's a $750 saving on current gas prices in most of Texas. It's a $1,000 saving on $2-a-gallon gasoline. Either way, the saving is larger than the tax cut 80 percent of all Americans would receive under the Bush administration's proposal.
    According to a Brookings Tax Policy Center analysis, households in the middle quintile would receive a tax cut of $256. For upper-middle-income households – those in the top 60 percent to 80 percent of income – it would be $574.
    As you can see, energy efficiency is as big a lever as anything they've got in Washington.
    So imagine what would happen if having a personal energy policy became trendy.
    Energy guru Amory Lovins has estimated that a national auto fleet just 2.7 mpg more efficient would eliminate the need to import oil from the Persian Gulf.
    Since the Prius gets nearly 27 more miles to the gallon, only one American in 10 would need to own a hybrid – and the Middle East would be defunded.
    Sounds like a goal to me.

Scott Burns answers questions of general interest in his Thursday columns. Write Scott Burns,
    The Dallas Morning News, P.O. Box 655237, Dallas, Texas 75265, or send an e-mail. Check www .scottburns.com.

2. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    That guy has the right idea. It has to be a personal choice. You can not legislate people into conserving energy, because there is always a way around it, but if the price becomes steep enough, some will whine and moan but others will take the personal initiative to do something on their own. The Prius makes the choice very easy, since you are not compromising on size and comfort to have a very efficient vehicle. The Lexus and Highlander hybrids will make the switch even easier for those that insist on a 'big' vehicle. Question is: when will the US automakers get the hint? How many more American jobs will go to Japan or elsewhere because our 'engineers' can't figure out how to do the hybrid thing? It makes me mad that if you want an efficient car, you must buy Japanese, if you want an efficient, tankless, water heater, you must buy Japanese or German, and the list goes on and on. We put a man on the moon some years ago but still can't figure out how to become energy efficient. Our engineering schools leave a lot to be desired IMHO.

3. sibtrag

sibtrag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think that the problem is our lack of engineering skill. I'd say the problem is a lack of foresight in the big 3 automakers. (In fact, one of the "big 3" is now German. That hasn't changed anything.)