1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Piece of metal hanging out of undercarriage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Que1999, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Que1999

Que1999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Today as I was driving home I heard something dragging on the street under my car, so I pulled over and took a look. It was a strip of metal just hanging there out of the undercarriage of the car. It's a 2010 Prius and I have included a picture of the Prius undercarriage and I highlighted the areas that I believe the metal is sticking out of. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what this could be and if it could be something that I ran over on the road that managed to get jammed up there?.. Should I just try to pull it out or bring it to the dealership? Thanks in advance...

Attached Files:

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you sure it is metal and not a plastic cover?

3. Que1999

Que1999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is metal, is the whole undercarriage plastic? Does that mean it must be a foreign object?...

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The larger of the rectangles in your posted pic is in the middle of the maintenance door: the flap for access to oil drain plug and oil filter. This has been reported in several threads as breaking, after a few oil changes. Likely culprit?

(the smaller rectangle is over the front jacking point)

5. vnhk

vnhk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It must be something got stuck there from road. There should be nothing there beside the middle jack point.

The whole thing is covered with plastic pannels, so if it's not broken, it must be foreign objects, not from the engine bay.