1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Piezo Unlock/Lock Beep in my G1 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by mlibanio, Nov 15, 2010.

1. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi Everyone, I would like to install a Piezo beeper on my 2002 Prius to let me know when the car is locked or unlocked. I got it from another Toyota car, but want to put it in my Prius. I have tried in vain to find out which wire in the Body ECU or Theft Deterent system will beep only when I unlock the doors, similar to G2 and G3 Prius'. Can anyone please help me? I have included the wiring diagram for a 2002 G1 Prius. In essence I would like to mimic the behaviour of newer Toyota's, I know it can do it because the car flashes its lights to let me know. Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated. Thanks everyone!
    Matthew

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Coastal E-Tech seems to have a $40 kit for doing essentially what you want (they use the horn instead of a separate piezo element) ... you could probably adapt that, or study it for ideas.

Cheers,
    -Chap

3. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks Chap,
    but I was sort of hoping that at the minimum just to find the power lock actuator power wire so that I can tap into it and simply have the door beep every time I lock or unlock the door.

Best case scenario would be to find the wire that comes out of the Theft Deterrant System that turns on the indicator lights so that it beeps once when lock and twice when unlocking. If anyone can help me that would be super appreciated.

This is what it looks like: Simply a Red Wire for positive, and Black for Ground.

[​IMG]

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder how much of that is implemented outside of the Body ECU itself (the ECU that's built into the fuse/junction box that you see when the driver's door is open). I'm too lazy right now to get out the EWD manual (which I'm sure you have anyway with all the nav hacking you've done), but off the top of my head I don't remember other ECUs being much involved in the Theft Deterrent System. I remember there's a Transponder Key ECU up around the steering column somewhere, but I think that's just the one that recognizes the chipped ignition key and tells the HVECU whether to start.

If the theft deterrent logic is mostly in silicon in the Body ECU, it's not certain you'd find a physical wire somewhere that represents the "flash lights" action. The ECU might just drive the light relays the same way it does when you turn the lights on. You could maybe build a clever circuit with a timer that recognizes the quick flash.

If there's a separate ECU involved but it commands the Body ECU to blink lights via a message over one of the communication busses, then again finding a single wire that represents what you're looking for isn't guaranteed.

But I don't know for sure; I haven't dug out the diagrams to check ... but it sounds as if you have, and judging by your success with the nav retrofits I'm guessing you'd have found the wire already if it were that simple.

-Chap

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It wouldn't take very much logic to derive what you want. Connect the positive connection of the buzzer to the headlight wire. Connect the negative connection of the buzzer to a relay that connects to ground when the the headlight switch is OFF. The buzzer will sound when the light switch is OFF and the headlight is ON.

6. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well I found the wire, its the RED wire in the B8 connector on the Body ECU. As you suspected Chap, it is indeed software controlled, and the relay simply clicks on and off when voltage is applied. I have no desire to have my car beep, even when I push the unlock button on my door too, so it looks like this project is over. Too bad, I was really hoping to add the same audible chirp that G2 and G3 Prius owners have and make that option available to G1 owners. Thanks everyone for your input.