1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pigeon faster than broadband

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by qbee42, Sep 10, 2009.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This story is pretty funny, and sad. A pigeon transfered data at a higher rate than the local broadband connection.

Full story:

BBC NEWS | Africa | SA pigeon 'faster than broadband'

Tom

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Get the right proportions in place, and you can do that anywhere in the world. Try downloading 1000 movies from iTunes (each about 1GB) - it'll easily take many days on your average broadband. On the flip side, burn them onto 25GB Bluray discs (you'd only need 40 of them - a single stack of discs a few inches high) and mail them next day express, and they'll get there faster.

Of course, being beat by a pigeon must really hurt someone's pride over there :-p

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How long would it take to transmit 4 GB over the typical U.S. broadband connection? My upload speed is about 8.5 Mbps. (Up from 1 Mbps with my older modem.) Not sure how that translates to GB/hr.

I think 8 Mbps = 1 MB/sec = 3.6 GB/hr???
    so 1 Mbps = 450 MB/hr??? Or 22.5% of the stick in two hours???

At my location, the best available DSL is far slower. But a trained pigeon will only fly to one pre-defined home location from anyplace within the territory it knows. Then it must be transported to its sending location. It will not fly out from its home. Internet connects any two points in the world that have internet service.

And the pigeon can get intercepted by a hawk or other raptor.

The term "broadband" is very loose. So-called "satellite broadband" is hardly better than dial-up. My old modem (6.25 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up) and a T1 line are both considered "broadband," as is the aforementioned satellite internet.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If only the pigeon had 4 gb between its ears.

This story reminds me of a person who used to load up his bag with data tapes and pedal for hours across the city, with a transfer rate hundreds of times faster than the computers of the time.

No, it wasn't me. :)

5. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bsasically the plot for the movie Jonny Mnemonic is a futuristic update of this.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That is the problem right there. For example, the Canadian government, along with some Provinces, funded "broadband" deployment a few years ago.

To keep costs down, they defined "broadband" as 640 kbps to 1.5 Mbps, max. So they got service installed that was already obsolete, compared to offerings in other countries

Much like how cellular phone service in Canada is among the most expensive in the Western world, and among the slowest and most spotty.

A lot of folks don't know enough about the technology to ask the right questions, and to put the service provider on the spot

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Broadband is a wedding ring for women.

Tom

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    [sound of Jayman on all fours, kissing the carpet, thankful he is happily single]

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does the pigeon do packet filtering? Does the pigeon threaten to revoke your service if you use too much bandwidth on an "unlimited" broadband account? :madgrin:

10. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :pound::pound:

Yeah... it was a race... not a fair one... kinda like comparing a top fuel dragster to a enduro bike on a twisty trail over the ridgeline...

Still funny though.

11. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I would believe the OP if they used the BB service I use. COM***t. That is, when it works at all. Oh, and I get the privilege of paying $62.23/mo for the abuse. Their retort is if I bought their 'tripple play' I would save. As if I would trust my 3 phone lines to a CO who is offline so much. In Africa I could feed a family of 4 for a month for less, AND they could own the pigeon communication network too! Monopolies are criminal, but prevalent here in the coast.

12. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Another satisfied Comcast customer! :madgrin:

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I go to wilderness hiking lodges far from any cell phone service. But at one of them, the cook runs up one of the local mountain peaks, from which he can get service and phone his family. He makes a 2-hour round trip, running all the way, between breakfast and afternoon snacks, out of a hike that takes me six hours.

I get very good service from Comcast here. Their email server was no good, so I never used it, preferring instead a web-based email. But they are seldom down, and I get good customer service when I do have problems. With my new modem I get 28.5 Mbps down and 8.5 Mbps up, though I'm only paying for something like 12 down and 2 up. The best Qwest can give me on DSL is 1.5 Mbps down.

I think I pay around $55/month. It would be a little cheaper if I had cable TV also, but why pay to have electronic excrement delivered to your home?

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but he's only carrying a phone, and does it every day. The more you do, the more you're able to do. :)

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not every day, but two or three times a week, when he has enough free time in the middle of the day. But he's half my age, and fitter. He does carry a pack, though. You'd be stupid not to. And a walkie talkie for emergencies.

From time to time you see people running wilderness trails. It takes stronger legs, heart, and lungs than I have.

But at the same lodge, when they hire a new guide, the owner will take the new guide out and run all the trails, so the guide will know them. I think it takes them a couple of days to run all the trails. Maybe three.

A lot of the guests never hike to the end of any of the trails, because they stop so much. At least I've hiked to the end of all the trails (at this particular lodge) except the ones that are too technical or too scrambly for my capability or comfort level.

16. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneakernet]Sneakernet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

The theoretical capacity of a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing"]Boeing[/ame] 747 filled with Blu-Ray discs is 595,520,000 Gigabits, resulting in a 37,034.826 Gb/s flight from New York to Los Angeles.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Station_wagon"]station wagon[/ame] full of tapes hurtling down the highway. —Tanenbaum, Andrew S. (1996). Computer Networks. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall. pp. 83. ISBN 0-13-349945-6.

17. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, but does broadband leave, ummmm, calling cards on statues, buildings, and passing cars on the way? :D

18. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nope, the "calling cards" get deposited on your computer hard drive instead. :madgrin:

19. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A