1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pin stripes----out of style??Or other dress up ideas

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by pirlbeck, May 16, 2011.

1. pirlbeck

pirlbeck Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We just purchased a 2011 Prius Three, not III because only 2010 used uppercase roman numerals for model designation, in winter gray for my wife to drive. Winter gray was not my first choice in color, but it was the only car we could find in stock in this area at the time. Anyway, so far we really like the car, but I think the exterior is very plain looking. Does anyone still put pin stripes on a car to dress it up or am I still living back in the 80's with this idea? Or is there something else simple and cheap to dress it up a little.

Great forum by the way, I have learned a lot just by lurking here!

Thanks!

2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Isn't the question really what you think would look nice? We really can't answer that for you.

3. Cloud

Cloud New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    They have chrome side skirt add ons that are OEM.

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you take off the stock wheel covers, the 10 spoke alloy wheels will add some interest to to the car. Different caps are available to fill the ~2 inch hole in the center of the wheel.

You can get 1/8 and 1/4 inch masking tape which is one easily removable way to see how you car would look with stripes.
    http://www.micromark.com/Masking-Tape-1and4-Inch-Wide-36-Yards-Long,7192.html

5. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pin stripes are definitely old school but the reality is it is your car and your choice in style. Besides it is your wifes car if someone gives you grief about the stripes just say hey its the wifes car and I just do what she asked :)

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like others have stated, pin stripes are way out of style BUT this is your car and you should modify it with whatever makes you happy.

That being said, I would check out the Prius Chat Shop for available mods. The lighted door sill plates and foglights seem to be popular mods. The WeatherTech and Husky floor liners offer great protection of your carpet and look great too!

If you're looking to keep your car looking clean in the long trm I highly recommend applying a clear-bra to your front bumper cover and hood. This will significantly reduce rock chips and keep the front of the car looking new. I wish I had done this when I bought my 2005. :(

Lastly, upgrading to 17" wheels with LRR tires is another way to dress up your car. It can make huge difference in overall appearance.

7. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The other day I saw a black Prius with gold pinstripes. I thought it looked real nice. It also had all gold emblems, wheels, etc. Of course, I'm a little old, too. So, if it is "old school" to have pinstripes, then I'm "old school."

Mike

8. Relesom

Relesom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was thinking of pinstripes too. Instead I decided to add the chrome door moldings.
    Bought them on Ebay for $121. I think it looks real nice,, easy to do your self.
    They run along the bottom of the doors. If you do a search on this site there are lots photos of them.

9. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My Prius came with pin stripes already installed by the dealer. They actually look quite nice.

10. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am old school and used to apply pin stripes on Jags, Triumphs, MG's, and some Italian models. And they do look old fashioned. I think they went out of style since there were already a lot of confusing body lines after the "suppository" styling of the 90's. But the Prius, especially the Gen II, can look nice with them since they have cleaner sides. Don't go for a lighter shade of grey though. Try a cream or light tan. The Blizzard Pearls would look nice with a dark red or dark blue, but not black. Post some pics if you apply them.

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing says class like dark walnut paneling.

12. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am considering having mine pin stripped. I am thinking of maybe a 1/2" blue reflective stripe either above or below the body crease or a classic stripe pair the same color as the accent in the Toyota emblems.

Posted from my iPhone via the Tapatalk app.

13. casualvic

casualvic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I would go for it!! pinstripping is not an old concept, as a matter of fact, I had a 2007 civic with stock pin stripe and other civics that looked weird without it. It will add to the clean cuts of the 11 prii.!

14. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The problem with pin stripes and other accessories is they go in and out of style quickly and your car will look dated years later. Same goes with the lower half of the body being plastic like those found on the late 1980s Mustangs and early years Lexus.

The best way to dress up the sides a bit is to add turn signal mirrors as they break up the rather solid sides (as there are no chrome handles, etc.).

16. pirlbeck

pirlbeck Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK, thanks for all of the replies.

I talked to the local Toyota dealership body shop foreman and he suggested talking with a local auto graphics shop. I spoke with the graphics shop owner yesterday and he says he still does a lot of pin stripes. He was also going to check on some other "dress up" items for it too. So we'll see where this leads us. I may pop the wheel covers off and see how that looks too.

Thanks again!

17. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I decided to add pinstripes. Did not want gaudy and purchased very narrow 2 X 16" black. Easy install following the side crease. On well over a year now and just like new, even after weekly washes.
    Adds a nice (cheap) distinction to the car IMO.

Attached Files:

18. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Show your personality! It may be out of style, but may be you will bring it back in style!

19. Dweezil

Dweezil Cat Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why take your car to a shop to have it pinstriped when you can do it yourself for about $5? It takes all of 20 minutes. If you don't like them, you're only out a few bucks. My car had factory pinstripes when I bought it, but they were really thin and I found a few places where small portions of the stripes were missing or damaged. A quick trip to Auto Zone, 30 minutes to remove old stripes, and 20 minutes to apply new stripes and now the Guac looks better than when I bought it.