1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pinging/knocking/noise when accelerating and cruise control between 50-70 MPH

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SRQ, Mar 20, 2013.

1. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently changed my oil, transmission fluid, and both coolant systems. I have a 2008 Prius, and I can hear this noise coming from the engine when I accelerate between 50-70 MPH or have the cruise control on.

I had low coolant in the ICE system earlier (didn't know there were two separate systems) and I had the red triangle light up for a moment and "Problem" appear on the LCD screen followed by an orange thermometer. I pulled over and let it cool down, and babied it home and added coolant.

The noise is hard to describe, especially since I don't know what a misfire sounds like. There are no warning lights or error codes, and gas mileage is as good as ever. You can't hear it unless you focus in on it through the background noise, it's very faint.

Anyone have any idea?

2. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd check spark plugs. How many miles on your '08?

3. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just rolled over 76,000 miles. That's seventy six thousand miles. No typo.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You overheated the engine pretty good by running low on engine coolant. By the time that CEL trips with the thermometer its way into overheat which is very very bad for an engine with an aluminum head.
    Take it in for service asap and see whats damaged.

Btw, the reason the coolant is so low if you just had it changed was you most likely had air in the system. Alot of air. It eventually got out resulting in low coolant. You have to check frequently on coolant level if you change out either coolant systems until it stabilizes. And for engine coolant if it has good cabin heat. Who changed the coolant?

You did not post miles or my next bet was the water pump is bad and weeping. Take a flashlight and with the car off check the front of the engine where the belt is and look for dried up green spots or leaking coolant.
    If you see alot get that engine water pump replaced asap because if it blows while your driving you could damage the engine if its not already damaged.

Btw there is codes. There stored now in memory and can be read by the dealer or since its not a hybrid code any auto parts store. They stay until there cleared or you take off the 12 volt battery power.

5. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed the coolant because my coolant control valve was bad, and I wasn't aware that there were two coolant systems so I drained the inverter coolant and filled it back up thinking that the coolant system was for both the ICE and inverter. The coolant level has been full for the ICE since, and I have been checking it on a regular basis. It's been the same level, and so has the reserve reservoir. The coolant pump was recently replaced by Toyota.

So what kind of damage could we be potentially looking at? The vehicle operates fine and the gas mileage is unchanged, the only thing is the very faint noise heard between 50-70 MPH. I've noticed on this forum that sometimes people get carried away with themselves and their doom and gloom sometimes turns out to be nothing. Also let me emphasize that the sound is VERY faint and I'm sure that older individuals would have difficulty hearing the sound.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So since Engine coolant leaked out of that valve during replacement it went low and was never filled back up since you didn't know about the separate ice coolant? Is that right I think?

If so how much coolant did it take to fill it back up?

First thing that usually happens on a bad overheat is the head warps and damages the head gasket. This exhibits as coolant leaking into the oil galleries. It will quickly turn oil into a milkshake. Watch oil carefully on the dipstick for color change. If not that something in the top end valve area. Put the car in inspection mode so the engine will run continuous and listen to the engine real carefully. Listen under the car too. See where the noise is coming from.

7. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I listened to it for a while and it sounded normal. The oil was a normal amber color.

Seems like the sound is starting to go away, I took it up to 55 MPH today for a few seconds and there was no sound. But I'm still paranoid. It's definitely NOT a pinging or knocking sounds, it sounds more like a squeaky shopping cart wheel that's only heard at 55-69 MPH. Performance has not been affected at all. I would like to emphasize that this sound would not likely be heard by older individuals. I'm 22 years old.

I wonder what you think this noise is like? It's NOTHING like what's in this guy's thread: Help, '06 engine making rattling noise | PriusChat

I'm still doing more research, but I'll continue to monitor the vehicle.

8. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A squeaking sound would make me think about a dry bearing, you could try taking off the engine belt and spinning the belt tensioner bearing and the coolant pump for the engine to see if this replicates the sound. This would also be a good time to change out the engine serpentine belt if it has not been changed yet-- due to the age.

Due to the sound appearing at higher speeds, a wheel bearing would also be a consideration, does the sound vary when you change lanes, varying the load on one side of the car to another?

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or you put the wrong viscosity oil in there. I think the top end of my car makes alot more noise running 0-20 so I'm back to 10-30 Mobil 1. Its quieter. And I don't really see any mpg impact.

10. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did just change my oil, but I've been running 0W-30 for a while. Maybe it's time for a change to 10W-30? I'm in south west Florida. What kind of noise do you hear?

When I put the vehicle into inspection mode, the word "problem" also appears right as the engine starts...

I don't think it does, from what I remember it stays pretty consistent. I'll have to try this next time I'm on the highway.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Shouldn't say Problem. If a Prius throws a code it behooves you to get it read and find out what the code says. Report the codes back here.

12. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm about to go get the codes read at Autozone.

If I damaged the head, I have access to very cheap Prius ICE's. Would it be a matter of replacing the head gasket and head? Or would there also be damage to the block?

I can get a new head for $100, and a head gasket for whatever the price is for a new one online. I would just like to know if replacing the whole engine would be a better option.

Do you think driving the vehicle to the point of imminent failure of the head would damage anything beyond the head, so I can replace it as needed, assuming little drop in performance? I realize this sounds really bad haha

I've worked on pretty advanced weapons sytems on the F-22 Raptor, so I am mechanically inclined with very strict maintenance habits (bagging/labeling ALL bolts, for example). The reason for all this nonsense was that I didn't know that there were two separate cooling systems, and how to properly replace the fluid.

But hopefully this learning lesson won't be too expensive.