1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PiP battery heath check

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Iain Millar, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Iain Millar

Iain Millar New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm looking at a second hand 2013 PiP, how can I check the traction battery health? Does the Dr Prius app work with the 4.4kwh Li-Ion battery?

Anything else I should particularly look for? Cheers!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    the best test is plug it in until fully charged, and then take it for a spin on back roads around 30mph.

you should get 10-13 miles before the engine comes on.

make sure you're not calling for heat or defrost, that will start the engine.

idk if doc prius will work, but i doubt it.

how many miles on her?

3. Iain Millar

Iain Millar New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the reply! She is a 2013, with 95k miles.

Did very regular 13k miles a year till march 2020 Then just 2000 since, so she has been sat for some months.

I've asked the dealer to charge it fully for a test drive tomorrow, will check the EV range as you've suggested.
    I have found Toyota UK do a HV battery check for £45 which I might see if I can get done. (It seems that test looks at: Internal Resistance; Internal Voltage; Variation Check; Battery Temperature; Fuel Consumption; Battery cooling system)

I found she had a 12v battery voltage of 11.7V initially.

And the washer fluid dipstick was dry and gunky.

Are these likely to cause issues? I can negotiate to replace the washer pump and 12v battery if long term damage is likely from being sat for months.

Cheers!