1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP in Minnesota ( or other 'up north' states )?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by farmecologist, Sep 1, 2016.

1. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,

First some history. We purchased a used 2010 Prius a couple years ago for our daughter to drive. Problem is, I love to drive the thing!

Prices on used PIPs are quite enticing lately. I'm actually amazed at how much they have dropped in price in such a short time ( many going for around 14K-15K or so on Carmax ).

At any rate, I am now considering picking up a used PIP and ditching my 2012 Sonata Limited. However, I'm wondering how they perform in the winter months. Obviously the engine runs frequently to provide heat, etc...correct? Other than that, anything else I should be aware of regarding cold weather?

Thanks!

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    A good set of snow tires will help tremendously. I have used Bridgestone Blizzaks on my Prii effectively. My 40 mile commutes during snow storms took longer but the car performed as well as others (non-hybrid) that I have owned.

3 things cause decreased MPG in the winter, using the heater, snow tires, and winter fuel formulation. Add on top of that when driving in snow, you'll also get worse mileage.

Good luck in your hunting for a PIP.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I know PiP is fine in winter. You will lose some EV miles due to cold impacts, but I personally would not worry about that. The fuel tank is a little smaller, so if you're not plugging in in winter, you could get some lackluster miles-per-tank during the winter blues. I would consider a used PiP myself.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the pip master is @john1701a , he's from minnersoter. i have found it to be fabulous in the boston area.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No issues whatsoever with mine here in Minnesota. In fact, I don't even use snow tires.

Here's one of my commutes I filmed:

Memomac and bisco like this.
  6. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Looks good to me! Is the cabin warm-up time similar to other cars? Assuming the ICE just runs more in the winter...

I have done some further digging regarding prices and PIP really does look like an awesome used car deal. Looks like many of them are 'off lease' vehicles. I'm assuming that the depreciation was so high that folks decided not to purchase once the leas was complete?

I wonder if prices on used Gen1 PIPs will go even lower once the Prius Prime is out in the wild? Thoughts?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    heat: you get heated seats in the base and the advanced. the engine probably runs about the same as your 2010 to provide heat.

pip was never sold in minn. low prices are to to some fabulous discount from toyota a few years after the initial roll out, and gas prices are driving them down further. after tasting 11 miles of ev, some lease's have moved onto more. warning: it's addictive.:cool:

you takes your chances waiting, but sure, prime could drive it down a little more.

8. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with everything, especially the "addictive" part. There aren't too many PiP owners on there that wouldn't like a full electric/BEV for their next vehicle.

bisco likes this.
  9. Memomac

Memomac New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi there I'm a nubi.....just got one down in New Jersey for around 12k 2013 with 90k miles....i have been running it without plugging it in...because of lact of time....and getting 61mpg...can't wait to get a full charge....nice to join the club

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  10. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, you must be busy if an extra 10 seconds is lacking.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! all the best.(y)

12. Biking Maniac

Biking Maniac Five Prius – have not sold one yet!

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

I also have a PIP, here in NW Wisconsin. I get to Rochester for work from time to time if you are looking for a close-up of one I could look you up. I do not use snow tires. The heated seats are nice. I don't aim for an all-electric experience in the winter. MPG drops about the same as all of our other Prius.

My travel is about 300 miles a week on rural highways. No complaints or concerns.

bisco likes this.
  13. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

My primary aim with the PIP would be to drive it like a 'normal' Prius with a bigger battery. The larger battery would certainly help on road trips to the mountains, etc... I had a somewhat difficult time managing all the mountain passes and such on our trip to Colorado and Utah over the summer. I've read that the larger batter in the PIP really helps with extended downhill regen braking, etc...

Still looking at used PIPs. However, prices on the 2016s are now looking pretty good so I'm not sure what I'll do now! I also took a look at the pics of the new Prius Prime and greatly reduced trunk space are a bit disappointing!

BTW - do you have the advanced model or base?

14. Biking Maniac

Biking Maniac Five Prius – have not sold one yet!

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We bought the base model. I ordered the 2012 when first available, so paid full price, and had to travel to New York to get it. Not my best financial decision ever.
    Even here in WI there are a couple of hills that utilize the regen much better than the non-PIP.