1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PiP interior

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by g-man, Apr 15, 2012.

1. g-man

g-man New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I recently wrote that I was debating whether to purchase a base PiP, and decided to go ahead with it. Great car, but after having owned a 2004 and 2006 Prius (and now a HiHy) I'm slightly disappointed with the interior. It comes off as rather plastic-y, the cloth seats are lower quality and the screen is smaller that the Gen II model. Not sure why Toyota didn't upgrade the interior like in the Camry or use the same screen they used in the C.

Again, it is a great car and definitely moves the ball forward technology wise, but curious if anyone else thinks the interior comes off as "outdated" at best.

2. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

I agree about the seats. In fact a lot of others agree too, Dianne sold a high number of base models that had a leather upgrade done before delivery.

I had a number of spots on my dash that bothered me but after an application of Vinylex it looks much nicer.

1 person likes this.
  3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The advanced model gets the bigger high res screen, the base gets the smaller unit. And thankfully the vacuum fluorescent screen has been updated a bit for 2012, it looked worse on the 2010/11.

1 person likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i drove mine at the dealer on friday. i thought it was pretty nice and love all the new info displays and the heads up thing. even the flying bridge felt fine, although i didn't like the buttons placed behind the shifter. but that was only for 8 miles so i'll have to get some road time in to get a feel for it. i also like the way they opened the 2nd cupholder and removed the sliding armrest.

5. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I also said the same thing to my dad yesterday while driving home from our trip... That was one small thing I was not crazy about on my 2010; The sliding armrest.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While I don't like the fact that the 2nd cupholder is hidden in the centre console, partially revealing whatever I store in there when in use, I do like the sliding armrest only because on the 2012, the armrest isn't far enough forward and I'm not short!

7. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    in my opinion, I rather have a forward sliding arm rest than an stationary one like the one we have

radiocycle likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i am short.

9. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    And you like it the 'new' way it is on the 2012 where the 2nd cup holder is always there. I thought it'd be a case of short people would not like it the new way for 2012 and tall people would like it but it comes down to personal taste.

The reason I did not like it the old way is because to get to the 2nd cup holder the lid slid back so far if you have 3 people in the back (which I often do on road trips when my parents come along) the person in the middle has this thing sticking in their way. And if it is a young kid like in my case in the middle he kept hitting it with his feet (accidentally, not on purpose) and scuffing it potentially damaging the leather/stitching.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was relating to tide saying he was not short and the sliding siderest was better for him. i have never sat in a gen III til now so i don't know if the slider would be better. but i found the pip's to be comfortable, (for 8 miles anyway :) ) and i like 2 cupholders exposed all the time.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    now that i've put 50 miles on her, i'd say she's VERY comfortible.

12. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    From what I read, before buying my PIP, the so-called professional reviewers had me convinced I was buying a piece of overpriced, lack luster junk, it’s anything but, the PIP is a fantastic vehicle. They said it looked like a plastic econo box with dull performance, and numb steering. The steering is better then my last American luxury car! They said it had a hard cheap plastic interior. The car is a very futuristic in design in style. A soft padded leather and fake wood interior would seem out of place in this car. The seats I tried in the V were like hard church pews, but I find the ones in the PIP are very comfortable. The fabric itself isn't bad at all, but as for leather seats they are more durable and easier to clean, and as soon as Clazzio makes them available that will be my third upgrade. As for a noisy ride, this car is very quiet and smooth riding, especially in EV mode. When the ICE comes on at start up it can sound noisy, but while your driving especially after it warms up, you don’t even know when it comes on, unless you’re looking at the dash, now that’s quiet.