1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PiP Lithium Battery Care Question

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by maverickf, Apr 26, 2012.

1. maverickf

maverickf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    When I was reading the threads about charging timer someone brought up the maximum life and capacity out of the Lithium battery pack concern, and I wondered which way is the best for the battery. I tried to find it in the manual (I downloaded it here) but couldn't find it saying it was recommended to use the charging timer...

1. Charge the car right after I come back home at 6pm, leave the plug connected with the car until next morning when I leave to work at 7am.

2. Charge the car during midnight, it approximately will be charged fully by 3am then drive to work at 7am.

3. Using the timer to charge the car at 4am, so the car will be charged right before I go to work at 7am.

Also, should I leave my car fully charged or no charge if I am out of town for a week?

I don't know much about the Lithium battery pack and I want to take good care of my baby. I love this car. If this has been brought up before, sorry that I couldn't find it. Thank you very much.

2. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was kinda wondering the same thing... Would it be better to leave the batter charged, or discharged?

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Door #3.

Also, if you will be leaving town, leave the battery at or near 0 EV miles. Lithium is happier at 50% SoC for storage.

2 people like this.
  4. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think that people are stressing just a wee bit too much over the batteries and when to charge or not charge. If you live in a hilly area, you will be putting way more stress on the battery just going up and down the hills than you will from charging. When you are plugged in, you are putting about 5 amps into the battery. When you go down a hill and doing moderate braking, you can be putting somewhere between 50 and 100 amps into the battery.

My charging pattern is thus:

Get home from work in the evening, plug car in, set timer to start charging at 1am.
    Leave for work at 9am, get to work around 10am, plug-in, immediately start charging.
    If I leave for lunch, I'll plug in again and immediately starting charging again.

Rinse, and repeat as necessary.

If it is friday, and we're going out of town for the weekend, I will delay plugging in until I get home from the trip. I park outside, and the EVSE is plugged into the garage, with the cord snaking out from underneath the garage door, so there's little point in plugging in if I'm going to be away for a few days.

The reason I charge at 1am is just to put less stress on the electrical grid. When I get the solar installed on the roof, it will be to take advantage of lower rates at night. Might as well get into the habit now.

Prius Five Guy and maverickf like this.
  5. CraigCSJ

CraigCSJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Read pages 47 and 93 of the PIP Owner's Manual to find what Toyota recommends.

1 person likes this.
  6. maverickf

maverickf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I see. Thank you. :)

7. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I will chime in, since the text quoted was from me :)

Lithiums longest usable service life is when the pack isn't at %100 SOC, in other words most Nissan Leaf owners usually time the charging so that it finishes shortly before they will be driving the car. With that said, don't go nuts about this , just charge and use the car, but if you go to work everyday at 7:00AM, and your are using a L2 EVSE (as I Am), I set my charging timer to start at 5:00AM, and the email usually arrives around 6:30AM, that charging has completed... When I get to work, I plug in the Toyota supplied 120V EVSE in the parking garage, and I immediately charge, so when I leave work, I have a full charge. I don't use the timer at work as sometimes I go out on service calls (as I did on Wednesday), and it's nice to have the EV capability in the city (the drive to and from the call was in all EV). When I was back from the service call, I plugged in again, I had 3 charges that day.

The point being, do what you can that's convenient for you, but don't stress out about it...

1 person likes this.
  8. CraigCSJ

CraigCSJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

9. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just a guess.. but I believe mitch was referring to the original post.. the quote was his

10. maverickf

maverickf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey mitch672, thanks for the feedback and hope you don't mind I quoted your text from other thread to here. I thought it was better to start a new topic. :)

I only charge the car once a day during midnight and I have the timer set to start at 12:30am just because the super off peak period starts at 12am. If just by changing the charge time and I can make the battery last longer and work better, why not! At least this is what I feel. :D

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interestingly, when you sell/trade your pip, no one will know how you charged it, coddled it or abused it.

Prius Five Guy likes this.
  12. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely true my fellow Bostonian :)

But what if you plan on keeping the car 8-10 years, you might find if you spend a litlle time now doing a few simple things, your EV range might not diminish as quickly as the PiP ages, and all lithium packs degrade over time anyway, the point is to try and minimize it as much as we can.

13. ultim8guy

ultim8guy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So here's a question: would there be a difference in the life of the battery if it were always charged at L2, or always at L1? I mean the difference in watts is negligible, but it never hurts to ask, right? :)

1 person likes this.
  14. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good question! Usually, the rule of thumb is that rapid charging is bad. However, the difference between 5 amps and 10 amps charge rate is arguably negligible in light 100 amps of regen.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. i'm thinking more on the line of a future buyer. this is probably the most critical user affect that has ever been on a car. other than just beating it to death maybe. anyway i try to do the charge and go thing as much as possible. i wonder what it's like for someone like john1701 who is constantly coming home and throwing it on the L2 for the next trip?

16. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    L1 120V charging uses 12 AMPs, about 1KW to the pack
    L2 240V charging uses 8 AMPs, about 1.9KW to the pack

They are both tiny compared to the discharge rate from the car, there is essentially no difference between them.

If you look at the Nissan Leaf's DC fast charger, for example, that can put out 50KW, and a Leaf can be charged several times a day at that power level, without much affect on battery pack life. It does cause the pack to heat up, which is why the Leaf has a battery temperature gauge, but the built in BMS (Battery Management System) in the Leaf just lowers the charge current, if the pack gets too hot.

We have nothing to worry about with the PiP pack :)

1 person likes this.
  17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At home, it's still just a L1. That's almost always started via timer set for 4:50 AM. At work, it's a L2 which I plug in following lunch. So, there's always a long rest in between. Most recharges are for full capacity too, though there have been a handful with a small amount left over from before.

18. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    L1 120V charging at 12 AMPs would be 1.4KW.

I'm wondering how sure we are about these numbers. Has anyone carefully observed the charging rates at 120V and 240V near the start, midpoint and especially at multiple times near the end in order to see whether the charge rate changes over time?

I have not done this for my Volt but over time have randomly checked it's charge rate at different points in the complete cycle. It begins drawing the full 120V at 12A or 240V at 16A and does so, as far as I have noticed, for the large majority of the cycle. Near the end, it begins scaling back on the charge rate although I have not observed this carefully enough to say how early it begins ramping down and how that behavior differs between 120V and 240V.

Note, for "240V" charging in the U.S. you need to distinguish whether the charging station is really connected to 240V (at a residence or small building) or at 208V (at a larger commercial building with a 3 phase utility hookup). 240V at 16A is 3.8 kW but 208V at 16A is only 3.3 kW. So, the maximum charging rate will be slower for 208V setups.

2 people like this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks john. does charging from partial capacity have a negative effect?

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    At near 0 EV miles, SoC is around 25%. 50% SoC is probably around 5-6 EV miles remaining.

Below is the data recorded by Tracksyde.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.