1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP tow PIPs same VIN!

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ppimd, Apr 24, 2012.

1. ppimd

ppimd Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Got an email from Toyota last night at 8:38pm indicating that another PIP owner and I have the same VIN. As such, Toyota disabled entune in my car, and disabled car-cell phone communication. The dealership is stumped. Toyota build and sold two cars with the same VIN so says their software and the net result is disabling my car software. Thoughts? Could the Toyota Erica respond and get this PIP problem addressed? No one called me back from Toyota care as they said they would last night.

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll bet someone just entered your VIN number to register Entune. Its not hard to figure out another valid PiP VIN if I know my own.

A call to Toyota Customer Care should take care of it, I image.

1 person likes this.
  3. ppimd

ppimd Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    l
    Last night a call to Toyota care was made, today the dealership asked for photographs of VIN on dash and door jamb. Toyota asked for both. I disagree with your guess.

4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would think that if Toyota produced two cars with the same VIN, that they would be in deep trouble with regulatory authorities. The VIN is the legal unique identifier for a vehicle.

5. Kimbapooch

Kimbapooch New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I doubt very seriously that Toyota produced two cars with the same VIN assigned. I got this email after registering entune:

Our systems indicate that the VIN (JTDKNXXXXXXXXX) associated with your Plug-in Hybrid Apps account belongs to another user. As a result, we have discontinued your Plug-in Hybrid Apps.

seconds later I received this email:

This is a follow-up to our earlier email to you regarding your Toyota Entune account status. We would like to confirm that our systems have verified you as the legal owner of the Vehicle associated with your Toyota Entune account. As a result, we have discontinued the services of the other user who claimed your Vehicle Identification Number JTDKNXXXXXXXXX. You can continue to use your Entune services.

In my case I suspect someone at my dealership activated it using the VIN as the apps were already working when I went to pick up the car.

6. ppimd

ppimd Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Toyota Care solved the problem, and had me re-register the car info. Apparently it came back to a dealer double entry, it is obvious with such a new system, mistakes are made. I spent 1-1.5 hours on the phone with Toyota, as they had to coordinate with all the different departments which register the car. There are more than you can imagine, and each had to double check the registration, very professional.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I first saw the title, I thought it had to do w/one PiP towing another.

8. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five